Author Topic: Just bought my first CZ pistol SP01  (Read 2908 times)

Offline davek8s

Just bought my first CZ pistol SP01
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:07:20 PM »
I?ve been lurking around here for a little bit.

Yesterday I finally put a 75 SP01 in California?s 10 day jail.

Besides saying hello I was wondering if there?s any advantage to SAO vs the decocker model? Mine has the safety.

Last thing is there any advise on upgrades or improvements? I?ve been eyeing the CGW upgrades but I want to shoot it stock for awhile before I start tinkering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guardian

Re: Just bought my first CZ pistol SP01
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
.......SAO vs the decocker model? Mine has the safety.

Did you mean "Safety vs decocker" ......SAO means "Single Action Only" like a 1911........both the safety and decocker versions are SA (single action) & DA (double action) .......just want to be sure what your asking, to give the best answer  ;)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 09:20:44 PM »
Yes.  Regarding the safety version you can choose to use the safety with the hammer cocked or not use the safety, manually deccock the hammer, for DA first shot. The safety can not be activated if the hammer is not fully cocked.

The decocker version helps to lower the hammer for DA first shot vs. manually decocking.

DA first shot is generally "safe" because of heavier,  longer trigger pull compared to SA.  Guns are generally safe if one takes care of the bugger finger or anything else (draw strings of hoodies, etc) that find their way into the trigger guard.

Oh yeah, congratulations on your FIRST CZ!

Offline TheMO

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »
Good choice in a first CZ.  The SP01 is an excellent platform for many roles. 

Since you mention CGW upgrades I'd suggest going straight for the pro-package.  You really can't go wrong with the upgrades included with that kit and it will unlock your SP01's true potential.  The trigger will be a night and day difference as compared to stock.

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:13:43 PM »
Welcome, and you have made a great choice in CZ?s with the SP-01.  Personally, were I restricted to just one CZ, it would probably be my CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical.

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -

Offline davek8s

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 11:07:46 PM »

Since you mention CGW upgrades I'd suggest going straight for the pro-package.  You really can't go wrong with the upgrades included with that kit and it will unlock your SP01's true potential.  The trigger will be a night and day difference as compared to stock.

I?ve worked on Glocks and 1911s, is the pro-package something I can do at home or do you recommend sending it out to Cajun?

Offline davek8s

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 11:09:40 PM »

Did you mean "Safety vs decocker" ......SAO means "Single Action Only" like a 1911........both the safety and decocker versions are SA (single action) & DA (double action) .......just want to be sure what your asking, to give the best answer  ;)

That?s what I meant. The previous owner referred to it as SAO.

Could I switch mine out to the decocker ?

Offline jDeLaBay

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 03:29:08 AM »

I?ve worked on Glocks and 1911s, is the pro-package something I can do at home or do you recommend sending it out to Cajun?

You're fully capable if you've worked on 1911s and Glocks. Whether the extra $120 is worth their polishing job and your time is up to you. (It's probably worth it, but I liked doing it myself)

Offline davek8s

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 07:13:44 AM »

You're fully capable if you've worked on 1911s and Glocks. Whether the extra $120 is worth their polishing job and your time is up to you. (It's probably worth it, but I liked doing it myself)

I?m the same way, I enjoy tinkering with my guns. I just don?t want to get in over my head.

Offline jDeLaBay

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 10:47:17 AM »
I had no prior pistol gunsmith experience before I did mine. You'll be fine, there's a lot of good info here/9n YouTube to walk you through the process. I did a little writeup in the gunsmithing section, you should check it out.

I will warn you though, assembling the sear cage is a PITA at first, but I can get it together without cussing too much now.

Offline davek8s

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 08:25:49 PM »

I will warn you though, assembling the sear cage is a PITA at first, but I can get it together without cussing too much now.

Cussing I don?t mind, it?s shedding tears that really bothers me.

The first time I cleaned my Ruger mkiii I had to put all the parts in a box and bring it to my friends dad the next day... but that was before YouTube.

Offline P.Kersey

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 09:08:00 AM »
    Congrats on the SP01. Good choice for 1st CZ as long you?re comfortable with manual safety. You can?t switch the safety to a decocker on these guns like you can on the omega trigger (P07 & P09, P01 + 75 omega). The manual safety 75s are simpler to work on than the decocker models so it is a good CZ to start tinkering with if that?s the path you choose.
     The stock recoil spring is really heavy on the SP01 so a lighter spring in the 11-15lb range may help the pistol cycle if you?re not exclusively shooting Nato or +p ammo. Heavier mag springs from wolf or CZ custom are also a common mod as they help with feeding problems that some encounter with the stock mag springs.
     If you decide to mod the gun a good place to start is swapping out the hammer spring for a 13-15 lb spring to lighten the DA. An extended firing pin with reduced power spring will give reliable ignition with the lighter hammer spring. A reduced power FP block lifter spring and lighter TRS will also help clean up the trigger pull. Removing the firing pin block and replacing with a spacer or pre b sear (not recommended for carry or defense) would shorten the reset further if this is a range gun. If you want to go all out and swap hammers and and disconnector the pro package from CGW is a great choice as it has all the parts you would need.
       I have an SP01 with lighter springs, comp hammer, and an SAO flat trigger that I love shooting.  The SAO flat trigger gives the gun a 1911 feel. It has pre travel and over travel screws built into it so you can really get a short trigger pull if you don?t mind losing DA capability.
    Hope you enjoy the SP01!

The Guardian

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »

Could I switch mine out to the decocker?

The SAO and Safety versions use the same frame......the decocker frame has differerent positioning of the holes in the frame for the sear cage retaining pin, so the two type Parmesan are proprietary for each set up  :-\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:30:10 AM by The Guardian »

Offline davek8s

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 09:29:32 AM »
Since this gun is for the range it really isn?t an issue for me.

7 days left on my 10 day ?cooling off? period.  I haven?t been this excited for a pistol in a while.

Could I switch mine out to the decocker?

The SAO and Safety versions use the same frame......the decocker has differerent positioning of the holes in the frame for the sear cage retaining pin, so they aren?t interchangeable  :-\

Offline Jiva

• I came for the pistols and stayed for the rifles
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
Congrats on a great choice; I?m certain you will be happy with that purchase 😀
75 P-01 Compact 99041
75 D PCR Compact
75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
612 HD
452 2E ZKM Lux .22LR
452 2E ZKM Classic .22LR