Author Topic: Current VZ58 us parts?  (Read 2846 times)

Offline czgunner

Current VZ58 us parts?
« on: February 16, 2018, 05:03:11 PM »
As I wait for my new VZ military sporter to come in from Atlantic I was wondering about the current number of us parts.
I have a new, unissued beaver barf set I want to install.
I have a US piston I can install.
Where do I stand for compliance?
Also, where do I find a steel trigger?
Disabled combat veteran

Offline Franz Maurer

• http://youtu.be/dtUdllX5Vpo
    • http://youtu.be/dtUdllX5Vpo
75B .40 ; P-01 ; kadet2 ; '94 witness .45 - slim nose 1of999 ; samopal vz.58 ; tin foil hat.

Offline czgunner

Disabled combat veteran

Offline TJNewton

Re: Current VZ58 us parts?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 03:33:52 PM »
As I wait for my new VZ military sporter to come in from Atlantic I was wondering about the current number of us parts.

Those are nice rifles.  The only drawback is that you wouldn't be able to use surplus magazines without replacing the magazine follower and floorplate.  The US-made piston is one-step towards being able to use surplus magazines, and I believe that the muzzle nut is foreign, so a US-made muzzle device (CNC Warrior highly recommended) would take you to five US parts.  The grip, handguards, and stock aren't listed as US-made, so you could replace those if you don't go with the beaver barf.  That would be three additional parts towards compliance.  Ronin makes a grip that has the same shape as the original, although longer and narrower, and have colors that can approximate the beaver barf motiff.

I've read of problems with US-made steel triggers.  Lots of info about that here on this site.  I've never read anything about any problems with the nylon triggers.  I think that some complain of the "feel".

Be careful of the notion that five parts are required.  It may be instead six as the striker may, or may not, be considered a hammer by the BATF.  The striker is alternately named a "linear hammer" in a lot of technical literature.  I'm sure that Atlantic and Czech Small Arms have done their research, but there is ambiguity about the matter.  Look into it to your own satisfaction.

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »

Those are nice rifles.  The only drawback is that you wouldn't be able to use surplus magazines without replacing the magazine follower and floorplate.  The US-made piston is one-step towards being able to use surplus magazines, and I believe that the muzzle nut is foreign, so a US-made muzzle device (CNC Warrior highly recommended) would take you to five US parts.  The grip, handguards, and stock aren't listed as US-made, so you could replace those if you don't go with the beaver barf.  That would be three additional parts towards compliance.  Ronin makes a grip that has the same shape as the original, although longer and narrower, and have colors that can approximate the beaver barf motiff.

I've read of problems with US-made steel triggers.  Lots of info about that here on this site.  I've never read anything about any problems with the nylon triggers.  I think that some complain of the "feel".

Be careful of the notion that five parts are required.  It may be instead six as the striker may, or may not, be considered a hammer by the BATF.  The striker is alternately named a "linear hammer" in a lot of technical literature.  I'm sure that Atlantic and Czech Small Arms have done their research, but there is ambiguity about the matter.  Look into it to your own satisfaction.

Yeah, I'm not big on the plastic trigger, myself, nor on the plastic floor plates and followers on the magazines.

CNC Warrior hasn't made any Vz58 gas pistons for several months and doesn't seem to have any plans to restart production. The gas piston would seem like a relatively easy 922r US replacement part, but maybe CNC Warrior had too many problems with them not fitting Century VZs.

What are the problems with the CNC Warrior trigger group? Is it just their steel trigger or with their disconnector and sear as well?

I was thinking if only the CNC Warrior trigger is the problem, you could use a steel Czech trigger and CNC Warrior disconnector and sear, you'd come out ahead on 922r compliance.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 04:19:48 PM by MeatAxe »

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »

What are the problems with the CNC Warrior trigger group? Is it just their steel trigger or with their disconnector and sear as well?

I was thinking if only the CNC Warrior trigger is the problem, you could use a steel Czech trigger and CNC Warrior disconnector and sear, you'd come out ahead on 922r compliance.

I'm not sure what the exact problems are.  I've just skimmed those posts as I have VZ2008's and it doesn't apply to them.  I think it has to do with surface interaction and introducing reset problems despite having the tabbed carrier.  I also think it occurs mostly with a mix of parts from different manufacturers.  Maybe the complete CNC Warrior FCG would be the way to go.  Something to look into.

What don't you like about the plastic trigger?  Is it the feel of it?  It seems that they're very reliable.

Offline czgunner

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »
I don?t have the rifle yet, but was just curious about compliance with changing to the chip board furniture.
Disabled combat veteran

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 07:14:23 PM »
I don?t have the rifle yet, but was just curious about compliance with changing to the chip board furniture.

There should be no difference when changing out to the beaver barf.  The furniture isn't listed as compliant parts on the Atlantic website.

Just know that the beaver barf hand guard gets very, very hot.  I drilled vent holes in mine, and ultimately installed an angled forearm grip.  A vertical grip, or just wearing gloves, would also work.  It is, however, a nice feature when shooting in near-freezing temperatures.

It only takes about 5 minutes to switch it out to experiment.  If you're going to modify it, the beaver barf is a mix of sawdust and plastic and drills very easily and retains its strength very well.  You may need to do minor filing and fitting on the rear contact points of the beaver barf to get it to fit with the receiver.

Offline czgunner

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 07:54:20 PM »

There should be no difference when changing out to the beaver barf.  The furniture isn't listed as compliant parts on the Atlantic website.

Just know that the beaver barf hand guard gets very, very hot.  I drilled vent holes in mine, and ultimately installed an angled forearm grip.  A vertical grip, or just wearing gloves, would also work.  It is, however, a nice feature when shooting in near-freezing temperatures.

It only takes about 5 minutes to switch it out to experiment.  If you're going to modify it, the beaver barf is a mix of sawdust and plastic and drills very easily and retains its strength very well.  You may need to do minor filing and fitting on the rear contact points of the beaver barf to get it to fit with the receiver.
Thanks, I?m ?upgrading? from my vz2008 that I?ve had for years. I?m fairly familiar with the hot handguards.
Disabled combat veteran

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 06:58:44 PM »

I'm not sure what the exact problems are.  I've just skimmed those posts as I have VZ2008's and it doesn't apply to them.  I think it has to do with surface interaction and introducing reset problems despite having the tabbed carrier.  I also think it occurs mostly with a mix of parts from different manufacturers.  Maybe the complete CNC Warrior FCG would be the way to go.  Something to look into.

What don't you like about the plastic trigger?  Is it the feel of it?  It seems that they're very reliable.

It may be psychological (I'm not a big fan of plastic guns anyway). About the only thing I don't care for on the Vz58 is the "squishy" trigger feel. Don't know if the plastic trigger has any flex, but I've heard the steel triggers feel better and  are not as vague.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:00:28 PM by MeatAxe »

anything