Author Topic: CZ carbine 223/556  (Read 2696 times)

Offline arthurstearl

CZ carbine 223/556
« on: February 21, 2018, 04:35:30 PM »
What kind of groups would be normal, for this gun, at 100 out to 200 about moa for each. I think that would work. thanks

Ron M.

Re: CZ carbine 223/556
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 05:37:05 PM »
That's a very ammo dependent question, with my hand loaded 60gr V-max rounds I get about .5 MOA, with Black Hills ammo using the same bullet I get about .75MOA, with Mil-Spec 55gr BTFMJ I'd be happy with 3 MOA. The best factory load out of my carbine has been Black Hill 52gr BTHP match ammo I get groups as small as .3 MOA and rearly over .5 MOA. These are all 5 shot groups fired about 2 minutes apart. I always fire 10 fouling rounds before I test for accuracy and pull a dry bore snake through the rifle after every 10 rounds or when I change loads.

The most useful woods walking load I've come up with uses a 75gr Swift Scirocco bonded tipped bullet. Just a little over 1 MOA and deadly on hogs and deer. I haven't shot at game animal past 175 yards with this load, but the results have been excellent at ranges from 20 to 175 yards.

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 01:30:31 PM »
That's a very ammo dependent question, with my hand loaded 60gr V-max rounds I get about .5 MOA, with Black Hills ammo using the same bullet I get about .75MOA, with Mil-Spec 55gr BTFMJ I'd be happy with 3 MOA. The best factory load out of my carbine has been Black Hill 52gr BTHP match ammo I get groups as small as .3 MOA and rearly over .5 MOA. These are all 5 shot groups fired about 2 minutes apart. I always fire 10 fouling rounds before I test for accuracy and pull a dry bore snake through the rifle after every 10 rounds or when I change loads.

The most useful woods walking load I've come up with uses a 75gr Swift Scirocco bonded tipped bullet. Just a little over 1 MOA and deadly on hogs and deer. I haven't shot at game animal past 175 yards with this load, but the results have been excellent at ranges from 20 to 175 yards.

WOW,thats some fine shooting for sure. I have only had my 527 a month or more and just finally getting out with it. Its a used rifle I got in a trade from a good friend but he never shot it much and its in LN condition. I shot one box of Remington 55 FMJ (223) out of it and yea it was around 3MOA or so. I took that brass and used a Lee Neck Sizing Collet Die and then a few other prep tricks and reloaded with 50Grn Nosler FBSP and then some Nosler 55 FBHP with Varget powder and Federal GMSRP and best I got was 1.075 @100yrds. I will play more but was fairly content with that group,,BUT you got me thinking,,LOL That's some good groups and shooting for sure. I will also add I have a old school Leupold 2x7 scope on the rife and it looks good and works/tracks fine. I'm not sure of the twist on this rifle I need to look it up but my friend said it did shoot best with lightweight bullets. He had some 62 grn hunting bullets and they were over 2MOA but got better results with 52s and 55s. Its interesting that yours shot so good with the heavy 75grn ! Looks like I have my work cut out for me !! One quick question,,are you fussy on brass and sort by headstamp or just mix and match with whatever you have ? Thanks

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 01:48:54 PM »
The early 527's in.223 are 1:12 twist and do better with the lighter bullets.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Ron M.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 09:47:03 PM »

WOW,thats some fine shooting for sure. I have only had my 527 a month or more and just finally getting out with it. Its a used rifle I got in a trade from a good friend but he never shot it much and its in LN condition. I shot one box of Remington 55 FMJ (223) out of it and yea it was around 3MOA or so. I took that brass and used a Lee Neck Sizing Collet Die and then a few other prep tricks and reloaded with 50Grn Nosler FBSP and then some Nosler 55 FBHP with Varget powder and Federal GMSRP and best I got was 1.075 @100yrds. I will play more but was fairly content with that group,,BUT you got me thinking,,LOL That's some good groups and shooting for sure. I will also add I have a old school Leupold 2x7 scope on the rife and it looks good and works/tracks fine. I'm not sure of the twist on this rifle I need to look it up but my friend said it did shoot best with lightweight bullets. He had some 62 grn hunting bullets and they were over 2MOA but got better results with 52s and 55s. Its interesting that yours shot so good with the heavy 75grn ! Looks like I have my work cut out for me !! One quick question,,are you fussy on brass and sort by headstamp or just mix and match with whatever you have ? Thanks

My carbine has a 1:9 twist barrel, the older 1:12 will not stabilize bullets heavier than 55gr to 60gr. I sort my brass by brand and by weight, I also neck size and toss them after 5 loadings. My reloads have been worked up over some time. I shot a ladder going up .1 gr of Varget, for each 5 round test batch, from the minimum charge listing. None of my most accurate loads are near max charges and some are closer to the low end. 75gr Swift is barely over the lightest load of Varget according to the Lyman 49th edition, it hits just over 2600fps. For hunting I will sacrifice some accuracy for better bullet performance. The one really hot load I use, is for varmint shooting. I use a .1gr below max charge of Benchmark with a 36gr Barnes varmint Grenade, hits over 3700fps and groups just over 1 MOA. It's a very destructive load for Jack rabbits and ground squirrels.

I had an American with the 1:12 barrel the most accurate bullets were the 50gr V-Max and 52gr Sierra match King. 

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:03:43 AM »

My carbine has a 1:9 twist barrel, the older 1:12 will not stabilize bullets heavier than 55gr to 60gr. I sort my brass by brand and by weight, I also neck size and toss them after 5 loadings. My reloads have been worked up over some time. I shot a ladder going up .1 gr of Varget, for each 5 round test batch, from the minimum charge listing. None of my most accurate loads are near max charges and some are closer to the low end. 75gr Swift is barely over the lightest load of Varget according to the Lyman 49th edition, it hits just over 2600fps. For hunting I will sacrifice some accuracy for better bullet performance. The one really hot load I use, is for varmint shooting. I use a .1gr below max charge of Benchmark with a 36gr Barnes varmint Grenade, hits over 3700fps and groups just over 1 MOA. It's a very destructive load for Jack rabbits and ground squirrels.

I had an American with the 1:12 barrel the most accurate bullets were the 50gr V-Max and 52gr Sierra match King.

Thanks Ron M for the info ! Yea I am thinking mine is a 1:12 twist but really want to "know" for sure. I guess I could call CZ with the serial number and they should know. Not that that is a bad thing, but maybe I'll just have to buy another rifle that is 1:9,,LOL I don't think this rifle is over 5 years old but will call my buddy and check with CZ for sure. Do you know when they switched the twist rate ? Yea I hear ya on the Brass prep, like I say I'm just getting started with this rifle so I have a ways to go. I have pails of 223 brass so looks like I need to sort through a bunch and get some like head stamped brass and start weighing them out. I have a ton of Nosler 52 Grn bullets (Killer deal @ Shooters Pro Shop) but will search out some V-Max for sure, I mite have some Sierra already so will check. I'm in the North East and its still cold and snowy at times but have been getting out to the range a little, but I have plenty of time till Spring to get things figured out. Thanks again for the info !  :)

Offline painter

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 06:16:59 AM »
The barrels with a 1:9 twist are stamped 1:9.

If your rifle was built before ~'14-'15 and is not a carbine, it's 1:12.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
The barrels with a 1:9 twist are stamped 1:9.

If your rifle was built before ~'14-'15 and is not a carbine, it's 1:12.

Yea,thanks painter,,I looked and it does NOT say 1:9 on it so she must be a older one. She shoots pretty decent as is so I'll just do my part and see if I can improve on what I already have. Just pulled a bunch of 223 brass out to start sorting so more info to come as we go along. Thanks again.  :)

Offline 10-96

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 03:28:40 PM »
Mine is a 1:12 also, but I did stumble across a bit of a heavier bullet that shoots OK out of it- the Win 64gr Power Point.  I mean, it's not great, but they manage to stay right around 1" @100 with Varget, CCI Small Rifle Primers, and full length sized PPU brass.  I kind of doubt I'll be buying any more of them any time soon, as I mostly just stick with 55gr V-Max for what I do.  So, there is a chance you can find something that you can live with that's heavier.

Also, check to make sure your action screws are tight.     
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »
Mine is a 1:12 also, but I did stumble across a bit of a heavier bullet that shoots OK out of it- the Win 64gr Power Point.  I mean, it's not great, but they manage to stay right around 1" @100 with Varget, CCI Small Rifle Primers, and full length sized PPU brass.  I kind of doubt I'll be buying any more of them any time soon, as I mostly just stick with 55gr V-Max for what I do.  So, there is a chance you can find something that you can live with that's heavier.

Also, check to make sure your action screws are tight.   

Hmm,thanks for the info on the action screws, will check ! I'm not really a hunter anymore and just kind of a range guy so just really looking for the most accuracy I can get just for personal reasons/goals/bragging rights,,LOL So if it works out that lighter are better,,so be it. We do have a place where we can shoot out to 600yrds and even with a 50/55 grn bullet I'm sure I could hit anything I need to, we have a bunch of steel hangin at all ranges from 100 out to 600 ! I just love the rifle and its fun to shoot. I'll keep plugin away,,,thanks again for the tip !

Offline 10-96

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 01:41:25 PM »
Lol, yeah, the action screw issue bit me in the fanny a couple of years ago.  My 527 Varmint .223 just simply started falling all apart in the accuracy department. I went home and checked the screws in the rings- tight.  Next time I went out, accuracy was still awful.  So I goes home and scrubbed the daylights out of the barrel.  Next time out, I was comparing my groups to shotgun patterns.  Went back home and put the rifle in the back of the safe and started wondering how much I could get out of it in trade, and kinda forgot about it.  About a year later, I was showing it to a guy who was interested in getting a similar one in .204 Ruger.  A little bit of floposis between the stock and barrel caught my eye... the dang stock was loose!  Once tightened up, it went back to shooting like it did when it was new.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
Lol, yeah, the action screw issue bit me in the fanny a couple of years ago.  My 527 Varmint .223 just simply started falling all apart in the accuracy department. I went home and checked the screws in the rings- tight.  Next time I went out, accuracy was still awful.  So I goes home and scrubbed the daylights out of the barrel.  Next time out, I was comparing my groups to shotgun patterns.  Went back home and put the rifle in the back of the safe and started wondering how much I could get out of it in trade, and kinda forgot about it.  About a year later, I was showing it to a guy who was interested in getting a similar one in .204 Ruger.  A little bit of floposis between the stock and barrel caught my eye... the dang stock was loose!  Once tightened up, it went back to shooting like it did when it was new.

Good to hear ! I actually checked mine yesterday after reading the above thread and it wasn't wicked loose but I turned my fat wrench to 20inch Lbs and it  moved and then worked my way up to the 40inch lbs that I had read on here was the correct torque . All my scope mounts and rings were fine. I will take note for sure of the next range trip,,I'll keep you guys posted !  ;)

Offline Diamond Jim

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 11:01:27 AM »
To check barrel twist, take a rod with a bronze brush and insert just past the chamber. Put a mark on the rod near the breech and another near the handle of the rod. Push until the mark near the handle makes one complete revolution. Put a second mark near the breech. Measure the distance you pushed. if it is 12" it's a 1:12, if it's 9" it's 1:9 and so on. It's not rocket science.

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 12:16:21 PM »
To check barrel twist, take a rod with a bronze brush and insert just past the chamber. Put a mark on the rod near the breech and another near the handle of the rod. Push until the mark near the handle makes one complete revolution. Put a second mark near the breech. Measure the distance you pushed. if it is 12" it's a 1:12, if it's 9" it's 1:9 and so on. It's not rocket science.

Good info but once I learned the twist is stamped into the side of the BBL all is good ! Good tip for other firearms though !  :)

anything