Author Topic: Rainier .45 AP 185gr. FP for max power.  (Read 1418 times)

Moken

Rainier .45 AP 185gr. FP for max power.
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:25:18 AM »
Taking a motorcycle/camping trip out west in Wyoming and Montana and my 1911 is a big a weapon I want to carry. I have some Rainier 185 gr FP coming. Anyone have some pet loads they would suggest? Looking at Vihtavouri 1100 fps should be safe.

Offline CPTKILLER

Re: Rainier .45 AP 185gr. FP for max power.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
Go to Hodgdon.com.  There is lots of load data there.

Moken

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 12:01:04 PM »
I use Hodgdon often. They don't have this exact bullet as Vihtavouri does. I do like the CFE Pistol powder load in Hodgdon.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 04:01:06 PM »
I've used both Alliant Red Dot and Vihtavouri N320 with Rainier Bullets.  Currently, Red Dot is my go-to powder in the .45 ACP.  My primary performance/game load uses 5.8 grains of Alliant Red Dot under any 185 grain JHP. Note that this is a Max Load.  Velocity from my .45 Witness runs 980 fps.

While Rainier Bullets are okay for Target use, I recommend a really good quality Hollowpoint for serious work.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:08:50 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Moken

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 04:45:12 PM »
I've used both Alliant Red Dot and Vihtavouri N320 with Rainier Bullets.  Currently, Red Dot is my go-to powder in the .45 ACP.  My primary performance/game load uses 5.8 grains of Alliant Red Dot under any 185 grain JHP. Note that this is a Max Load.  Velocity from my .45 Witness runs 980 fps.

While Rainier Bullets are okay for Target use, I recommend a really good quality Hollowpoint for serious work.
I will have rounds for two legged vermin and four. The one for four I want penetration. For that one I'm thinking the Vihtavouri load or CFE Pistol loads at tops. VT is showing over 1100 fps for the Rainier 185 gr FP. And no it won't be something as normal carry round or fired that much ever in my guns.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 07:56:50 PM »
IMHO you'll do a lot better to simply buy factory defensive rounds from Federal, Speer, Remington, or Winchester.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Moken

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:49:17 PM »
My 1911s have never had a factory round through em and probably never will.

Moken

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »
I got 4 pounds of CFE Pistol delivered yesterday. Hope to run some over the chrony this weekend. Will be duplicating Hodgdons recommendations.
They have one listed at 1139 tops. Don't think I'll push that but should run well.
Just going for a safe +p load.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 05:07:12 PM »
I got 4 pounds of CFE Pistol delivered yesterday. Hope to run some over the chrony this weekend. Will be duplicating Hodgdons recommendations.

News Flash !

Hodgdon DOES NOT make "recommendations". They do lab testing, then they do reports on what happened. The testing is merely to equate chamber pressure to bullet velocity. They are NOT saying the load is accurate, that it will properly operate the slide on your pistol, or that it's even good for any useful purpose. Heck the loads aren't even shot in a pistol !

They are merely saying that's the maximum amount of powder you can safely use in a standard SAAMI approved barrel. That's the full extent of their testing. That's the full extent of their manual.

You need to seriously re-think this.

Like I tried to tell you, ONLY the factory-made SD ammo is tested for useful results.

;)

Moken

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 10:53:43 PM »

News Flash !

Hodgdon DOES NOT make "recommendations". They do lab testing, then they do reports on what happened. The testing is merely to equate chamber pressure to bullet velocity. They are NOT saying the load is accurate, that it will properly operate the slide on your pistol, or that it's even good for any useful purpose. Heck the loads aren't even shot in a pistol !

They are merely saying that's the maximum amount of powder you can safely use in a standard SAAMI approved barrel. That's the full extent of their testing. That's the full extent of their manual.

You need to seriously re-think this.

Like I tried to tell you, ONLY the factory-made SD ammo is tested for useful results.

;)
I don't know what your problem is with me. However, I've been loading since the 70s. Your best is start an augment over symantics?
Here if it makes you feel better, I intend to stay within their standards established in their data.
You haven't a clue what my reloading knowledge is and your post is nothing short of dosrespectful and pugnacious.
I've not implied to anyone to do or suggest anything dangerous but you apparently want to talk to me like I'm recommending loads that pose a danger. May I suggest you take it down a notch?

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 08:30:17 AM »
Nothing of the sort !

Semantics ?

Will be duplicating Hodgdons recommendations.
Hornady never made any "recommendations". And that's what your statement and conclusion are clearly predicated on.

I've not implied to anyone to do or suggest anything dangerous but you apparently want to talk to me like I'm recommending loads that pose a danger.
I never said the load was dangerous, other than it may not work as you envision. Those are your words. The gun will not explode, but you may get eaten.

Your intention is to stop a predator while you're on your motorcycle trip. As a fellow motorcyclist and reloader, I'm merely pointing out that this load may not do that. I'm trying very hard to wake you up to that single point. But your long loading career seems to be blocking the entry of all new information. The only idea seems to be the single conclusion you've already reached.

Since you've already reached your conclusion, then you really don't need this thread.

All the best my friend.  :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:01:00 AM by Wobbly »

Moken

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »
Nothing of the sort !

Semantics ?

Your intention is to stop a predator on your motorcycle trip, and I'm merely saying it may not do that.
Reading Alaska Fish and Game report several bruins have been taken with 9mm and 45 auto.
Would I recommend them for bear hunting? Hell no. But I don't want to pack a 454 on my hip.
Buffalo bore has a tale of a guide taking down a brown bear with their 9mm heavy load. Again is it ideal? Not even close.
All of my loads for my carry guns are built using tested bullets and go over my chrony and I do penetration tests. I have no illusion that there is any possibility you can turn a 1911 into a magnum. "IF" I can approach Hodgdon performance I will be happy.
Rarely do I load anything past the last 50% established loads especially for plinking/target work. No need to beat up my handgun .For example my ccw 9mm load is Berry's HHP SD load in 124g over Longshot. I started at the bottom and went  up .2 gr. stepsI saw 1140 on the chrony and backed it down to 1100. Very accurate and pleasant shooting in my Shark C and very nice shooting in my P120.
In short I'm not looking for trouble with wild life or at my favorite place, my hand loading bench.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:02:02 AM by Moken »

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 09:07:31 AM »
I have never understood why folks ask for opinions or recommendations, then either ignore them completely or simply dismiss them as useless and do what they were going to do in the first place.

A pointless thread that has just served to produce an argument.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

anything