Author Topic: Attention FL residents. Statehouse just passed a massive gun control bill  (Read 3769 times)

Offline myczaccount

Please! Write or call Gov Scott:
Urge him not to sign CS/SB-7026

Office of Governor Rick Scott
State of Florida
The Capitol
400 S. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001
(850) 488-7146

OR

Email Governor Scott: https://www.flgov.com/contact-gov-scott/email-the-governor/
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE
Smith & Wesson Shield Plus

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Not much to be said now the Fla. gov. signed the bill. What a bunch of MAROONS. There will be lawsuits when this law is exercised. You just can't start confiscating property without due process.

Offline Earl Keese

Won't be long before they ban aftermarket triggers. As can be expected with dirty politicians, lots of ambiguous language in that law.

Offline double-d

You just can't start confiscating property without due process.

They want to confiscate firearms verses having them grandfathered??
Haven't followed and not a Florida resident....... 

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

You just can't start confiscating property without due process.

They want to confiscate firearms verses having them grandfathered??
Haven't followed and not a Florida resident.......

Not an Fla. resident either but the way I understand it they want the police to be able to confiscate weapons from persons they encounter whom THEY deem to be mentally unstable, due process comes later after they've got the guns.

Moken

And the sad thing is none of this will make anyone more safe.

Offline CZATC

Says it's the first one in FL. It is a situation that highlights the more positive aspect of the law.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-school-shooting-guns-seized-lighthouse-point-20180316-story.html

The problem is there is little checks and balances and no way to immediately and without great financial burden, return the property to an individual wrongfully accused/identified. Also I have had a hard time finding the criteria that must be met for the seizure to take place.

I do not think people realize how slippery the mental health slope is. Everything from ADHD to body dismorphia, depression, anxiety, etc. Is in the DSM manual and folks have pasts. That is further complicated  with a prescription happy healthcare system rather than behavior modification and  really treating the heart  of the issues. Bar fights from 20yrs prior or even a speeding/running a red light ticket. Perhaps the neighbors don't like guns and report you for carrying yours to the car to go to the range.

I suppose it is conjecture, but how in your lifetime you have seen people deal with folks they disagree with. How bad could this law be if and when it is applied in generalities and vagueness?'. A talk show host (behar) has said hearing from God is mental illness. I have heard several Dr's and Professors say similar things, albeit, a little more tactful or eloquently. Are Christians who affirm hearing from God in their study of the Bible now mentally ill?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

CZ 75 SP01-bone stock....CGW bushing and 85 trigger in parts box waiting
TriStar C100 Tungsten Cerakote-CGW kit upon reintroduction :)

Offline Earl Keese

Says it's the first one in FL. It is a situation that highlights the more positive aspect of the law.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-school-shooting-guns-seized-lighthouse-point-20180316-story.html

The problem is there is little checks and balances and no way to immediately and without great financial burden, return the property to an individual wrongfully accused/identified. Also I have had a hard time finding the criteria that must be met for the seizure to take place.

I do not think people realize how slippery the mental health slope is. Everything from ADHD to body dismorphia, depression, anxiety, etc. Is in the DSM manual and folks have pasts. That is further complicated  with a prescription happy healthcare system rather than behavior modification and  really treating the heart  of the issues. Bar fights from 20yrs prior or even a speeding/running a red light ticket. Perhaps the neighbors don't like guns and report you for carrying yours to the car to go to the range.

I suppose it is conjecture, but how in your lifetime you have seen people deal with folks they disagree with. How bad could this law be if and when it is applied in generalities and vagueness?'. A talk show host (behar) has said hearing from God is mental illness. I have heard several Dr's and Professors say similar things, albeit, a little more tactful or eloquently. Are Christians who affirm hearing from God in their study of the Bible now mentally ill?

Well said.

Offline Vinny

I am a FL resident.
Lawmakers were under intense pressure to do 'something' so they simply regurgitated a law that has already been in effect for years. It's called the 'Baker Act'.

The powers that it gives LE are scary. You can be locked up for 'observation' by a shrink; and your firearms confiscated without any due process. If they 'think' you may be a threat to yourself or others.....answer a few verbal questions the wrong way and ....slam, into the shrink tank you go. I'm not making this up.

I had a Brother who was dying of Cancer who was retained almost 3 weeks (of course, if you DON'T have good insurance there's less incentive for them to retain you); and it took me 6 months after his death to get his firearms back. He died 3 years ago today. R.I.P. Bro.

I'm surprised how few people were aware of The Baker Act.
Again, this law has been around for years. FL is one of the few states that has such a law.
But considering the pressure lawmakers are under, it may be coming to other states too.

Frankly, the effect of banning bump stocks or changing the age to purchase guns to 21 pales in comparison to the effects of The Baker Act.

Y'all need to read up on it.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:10:39 AM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline George16

Well said Vinny. I?m a Florida resident too and I?m fully aware of the Baker Act. In fact, I was hired to work as a mental health counselor while I was on terminal leave (3 months prior to retirement) from the navy. Part of the indoctrination process was reading and learning about the a Baker Act. It astounds me to the amount of power the authorities have in deciding the fate of a person deemed or suspected to be unstable. This law has been in effect for a long time and I have seen it put into practice numerous times.

For me, the new law is nothing but a political maneuver to appease the majority clamoring for stricter gun control in reaction to the Parkland school shooting. The 3 day waiting list has been in effect for as long as I remember too. Of course, it doesn?t apply to people with CCW permit. I think the biggest ?new law? is the raising of the purchase age to 21 years old for people buying long guns.

Offline Vinny

On behalf of my deceased Brother; I must say what they put him through under the 'Baker Act' was shameful.

My Brother was a good citizen, homeowner, retired business professional, CCW permit, legal gun owner who was dying of cancer and in great pain. LE came to his home, took him into custody as 'they' deemed he 'might be a threat to himself', confiscated his firearms, withdrew all of his medications and bounced him from facility to facility for almost 3 weeks, claiming they didn't have anyone 'qualified' to do his evaluation, thus avoiding the 'required' release after 72 hours as the clock was reset after each 'move'.

I had to retain an attorney on his behalf, but the attorney could do nothing until there was a hearing 'after the evaluation period'.  He was released an hour before his review hearing; in other words they kept him as long as they possibly could because they could drain his good insurance while he remained in custody. They wouldn't even allow him his cancer medications. Shameful treatment.

I'm not saying in some circumstances there might be good reason for LE to 'Baker Act' someone; but there is no due process. They should at least be required to obtain a warrant; or obtain a Judge's show-cause consent before, or within a few hours of putting someone through this.

It's scary.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:04:32 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline CZATC

My condolences Vinny. That is exactly what I saw this being made into. Hassled your dying brother but the kid who has issues just steals a firearm and does what he wants anyway. Can't seize something they don't know he has. Willful ignorance. I think Washington state has it as well and I am looking into the other states I have family.

CZ 75 SP01-bone stock....CGW bushing and 85 trigger in parts box waiting
TriStar C100 Tungsten Cerakote-CGW kit upon reintroduction :)

Offline Vinny

My condolences Vinny. That is exactly what I saw this being made into. Hassled your dying brother but the kid who has issues just steals a firearm and does what he wants anyway. Can't seize something they don't know he has. Willful ignorance. I think Washington state has it as well and I am looking into the other states I have family.

Thank You for your understanding CZATC,
My concerns as well.
"Carpe Diem"

Offline IDescribe

What did your brother do to get the police called there in the first place?  That seems to be the missing component of the story.

Offline Vinny

What did your brother do to get the police called there in the first place?  That seems to be the missing component of the story.

My Brother was in a desperate fight against cancer.
He ordered medications online that were unavailable in USA

They came to protect him from himself.
"Carpe Diem"

anything