Author Topic: Anyone load for .30 Carbine  (Read 5944 times)

Offline painter

Anyone load for .30 Carbine
« on: March 09, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »
Like the title says...I just bought a Winchester M1 Carbine and want to reload for it. I got about 500 rounds of surplus ammo with it, so brass is no issue.

I prefer single base powders, and as far as I can tell that means the two 4227's, Hodgdon or IMR, or VV N110. What powder do you like?

TIA
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline ReloaderFred

Re: Anyone load for .30 Carbine
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 08:47:58 PM »
I load .30 Carbine ammunition for both of my original Carbines and for my Ruger Blackhawk revolver.  I prefer Winchester 296/H-110 and AA-9 powders.  Those were invented for the .30 Carbine.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline painter

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 09:35:10 PM »
I load .30 Carbine ammunition for both of my original Carbines and for my Ruger Blackhawk revolver.  I prefer Winchester 296/H-110 and AA-9 powders.  Those were invented for the .30 Carbine.

Hope this helps.

Fred
I was afraid you'd say that.

Do the single base powders not perform well?

but not the ability.

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:54:38 PM »
The powders I mentioned work so well in the Carbine round that I never tried anything else, to tell you the truth.  They meter extremely well, and are ideal for the little .30....

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 12:11:26 PM »
Don't be afraid to get our gun dirty, Painter. Join the dark (and grungy) side.  ;)

Offline painter

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 03:20:02 PM »
Don't be afraid to get our gun dirty, Painter. Join the dark (and grungy) side.  ;)
I'll get past it. ;D

but not the ability.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 04:41:45 PM »
I have read that all the IMR powders inherited from DuPont were single base. That doesn't mean they still are, but it's a place to start.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline painter

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »
I have read that all the IMR powders inherited from DuPont were single base. That doesn't mean they still are, but it's a place to start.
According to the MSDS, both the IMR and Hodgdon 4227 powders are single as is the VV N110.

H110, W296, and AA#9 are all double base, as is Ramshot Enforcer, and Accurate 4100.

Those are the powders I can find data for, and according to the data, all the powders are capable of the ~2000 fps max velocity.

Like I said, I'll see what's available locally. I got roughly 500 rounds of surplus ammo with the rifle. It's undoubtedly loaded with double base powder. I have some time to decide.

but not the ability.

Offline Lance Boyle

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 07:47:21 AM »
I too use H110 and Hornady bullets in Usgi brass.  It works so well I never went farther.   The good hornady bullets are a joy for accuracy.   H110 is one not to be reduced below minimum charge.  That said reloading manuals can vary a bit on what they call their minimum. 

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 09:06:35 AM »
I just started loading for the carbine recently. I have run about 500 rounds of xtreme 110 plated bullets under IMR4227. no issues, but I'm a new to this gun/cartridge, so take that for what its worth.

The hardest part for me was pulling the trigger on the 650 dies/conv kit...
I'll probably try the same next round.

I thought that this bottleneck wouldn't stretch much, but about half my cases need trimming after firing mild loads. uggg... I hate trimming brass, but I have a solution for that in the works...
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »
I thought that this bottleneck wouldn't stretch much, but about half my cases need trimming after firing mild loads. uggg... I hate trimming brass, but I have a solution for that in the works...
[/quote]

Just for clarification, the .30 Carbine is a tapered case, not a bottleneck case.  And yes, they do stretch a lot, and since they headspace on the case mouth, you have to pay attention to the length of the cases.  I use a Dillon 1200 case trimmer, with a C-H 4D .30 Carbine trim die, with a Redding extended case holder for trimming large amounts of .30 Carbine brass.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 01:37:15 PM »
I thought straight-walled and tapered cases that headspace on the mouth were known for shrinking instead of stretching.  Is that just short stubby pistol cartridges?  Or is the stretching specific to the 30 Carbine?

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 01:55:15 PM »
The .30 Carbine stretches upon firing.  A lot.  It's a high pressure round, and it's probably the tapered case that makes it stretch, but at any rate, you have to pay attention to the case length when loading it.  If you don't, you'll end up with all kinds of problems when you try to fire those too long cases, especially in the Blackhawk, but it also applies to the Carbine as well.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Offline crankyoldlady

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 03:54:31 PM »
I trim 30 carbine brass to 1.285".

Offline painter

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 04:51:58 PM »
I thought straight-walled and tapered cases that headspace on the mouth were known for shrinking instead of stretching.  Is that just short stubby pistol cartridges?  Or is the stretching specific to the 30 Carbine?
That's what I was thinking, that it wouldn't stretch, but I bought a case trimmer anyway.
I trim 30 carbine brass to 1.285".
I'll find out what I get with the Lee case length gauge.

but not the ability.