Author Topic: Recoil springs and Barrel replacement  (Read 497 times)

Offline benchmark

Recoil springs and Barrel replacement
« on: March 11, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »
Should you replace these overtime based on usage or age? 

Offline benchmark

Re: Recoil springs and Barrel replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 02:19:13 PM »
How do you know you should? 

Offline benchmark

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 05:13:00 PM »
Thanks

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 06:43:44 PM »
Barrels can last 40,000 or more rounds, easy.  Pistol barrels.  Some rifle barrels wear out (heat/friction thing on the small caliber high velocity cartridges) but pistol barrels last almost "forever."
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Tim_B

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »
I replace the recoil springs on my full size 9mm pistols every 5,000 rounds.  Just this past weekend my Beretta 92 got to the 5,300 round mark and I noticed that the slide was going into battery a bit slower than it used to when feeding.  So I pulled a new recoil spring from my range bag and installed it and kept shooting.  The slide then hummed along like it should.  If you shoot a lot, I mean like at least two or three times a week you will notice when the slide starts to get slow when feeding. 

On the issue of barrel wear I pulled the barrel out of my 75B that has 31,000 rounds through it and looked at the lands in the barrel.  I then pulled to barrel out of my stainless 75B that has about 2,000 rounds through it to compare the noticeable wear and I could not tell any difference using just my eyes and no high tech measuring devices.  My 75B with 31,000 rounds still shoots as accurately as it did when it was new so I guess I still have a long way to go.

Offline DWARREN

• Grumpy Old Guy
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 04:38:57 PM »
Recoil springs when they start causing problems, barrels should not need to be replaced unless damaged or very high round count and a real loss of accuracy occurs.
SHUT UP AND RELOAD!