Author Topic: Shotgun ammo -home protection  (Read 1562 times)

Offline benchmark

Shotgun ammo -home protection
« on: March 11, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »
Is birdshot or buckshot recommended for home invasion.  My thought is either boom is a deterrant, but.  With that said #4 buck, #1 buck, #00 buck OR #1 rubber?  Was thinking mayby carry one round of rubber buck in the chamber and regular buck in the magazine?  I have kids.  Less drywall penetration is important. 

Moken

Re: Shotgun ammo -home protection
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 04:40:09 PM »
Be very careful about thinking buck doesn't over penetrate. Each piece of buck is coming out of the muzzle at magnum pistol velocity at least.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 07:19:22 PM »
I woudn't keep a loaded gun in a home with kids.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 08:50:24 PM »
Birdshot doesn't penetrate enough to do anything to a man sized target.  Yes, it will hurt, but it won't necessarily stop someone who is bent on doing harm.

There is an image going around Facebook of a home invader who got hit with birdshot.  There is also a video on YouTube of a guy shooting up a college and a girl comes in, gets blasted in the chest, and just jogs away.

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 11:49:06 PM »
I keep #1 buck loaded because it has adequate penetration and gives more combined cross-section area than 0 or 00:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/home_defense_shotgun_ammo.htm
When the knock on the door said “Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms,” naturally I thought it was a delivery…

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 12:26:40 AM »
Lots of good info but I would use and have used #6 shot. Buy quality high brass #6s and never wonder. Lots of pellets/mass coming out fast and furious. A human is NOT a turkey but have used these for turkey hunting and out to 40yrds turkey head is pretty devastated & that's at 40yrds,,an encounter in the home is gonna be a tad closer than that I would guess !! Also I read it in a magazine years ago so take it with a grain of salt I guess but it was a story about a big game hunter over in Africa that hunted cats,,Leopards and such and he said if one was wounded and they had to go in the bush to get it he used high brass 6s ! I've done lots of patterning and shooting through the years and that load always did me good ! I'm sure there are many more scientific story's and data out there but that's my 2 cents worth.  ;)

Offline gianmarko

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 05:01:39 AM »
actually, sir, in my opinion a home with kids is the perfect place for a loaded gun. if you live alone, you are free to choose what to do with your life, a choice you dont have with other's life, life that is your duty to defend.

and an unloaded gun is not going to be any good in case of home invasion

lets imagine you have a swimming pool in your garden. what would you do with the kids, prohibit them from jumping in, or teach them to swim? a neighbour of mine took the first approach and lost one of his 4 kids...

now, back to the original question, i wouldnt consider a shotgun for home defense. too loud, too long and clumsy, possibly not enough capacity. my choice would always be a high capacity handgun, maybe with a torchlight, maybe with a red dot. probably heavy ball subsonic ammo to reduce noise.

regarding overpenetration, anything that is going to penetrate an intruder will penetrate doors and plasterboard. so there must be a good situation and tactical awareness, and never shoot in the direction where people living in the home might be affected. a good tactical plan is a good idea.

home invasions are a nasty business. i had people breaking into my cellar, which is not connected to the rest of the house.
i was home alone, i have an alarm system (that i built and programmed), they probably heard me getting up and left before i could see them. or perhaps the reloading equipment in my cellar, and thousands of cases ready for reloading, sent them a subliminal message.

i used to leave the doors open. not any longer.

home invasions in my area used to be exceedingly rare. its still quite ok, but things are changing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupperswil_murder_case

I woudn't keep a loaded gun in a home with kids.

Moken

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 11:34:44 AM »
Good post gianmarko. You are correct, ultimately we have to take responsibility for our own safety for our situation.
Good info in here I hope you come up with a good tactic for your home.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 01:22:50 PM »
00 in both mine.

However, before I grab one of the 12 ga. shotguns I'd have grabbed either the P09 9MM or one of the AR15's.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Moken

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 01:42:15 PM »
00 in both mine.

However, before I grab one of the 12 ga. shotguns I'd have grabbed either the P09 9MM or one of the AR15's.
After ready several Massad Ayoob reports my household SD long gun is an AR and Mini 14 with 55 gr polymer varmint round in em.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 09:42:53 PM »
I tend to agree with gianmarko above..
All my firearms are loaded.  My handy carry pistol is closest at hand and is most versatile in close quarters.
If an attempt to enter my home was so poorly done that I had enough time to  board up,  I would include my semi auto shotgun with birdshot as backup.  A hit high in the upper body, neck or head will at a minimum cause serious reason's' for the criminal to consider retreat. I know the amount of 7 1/2 shot that hits five painted 6" circles (plates) at 8-10 yards shooting as fast as I can pull the trigger.

Offline ZanderMan

Shotgun ammo -home protection
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 11:07:25 PM »
#4 (Varmint Express) Versa-Tite from Hornady. Nice clean hole at 10 yards.

I patterned all of these at 10 and 20 yards out of my Benelli SuperNova Tactical.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:16:33 PM by ZanderMan »
Used to own a CZ Jawa...

Offline gianmarko

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 05:08:25 AM »
of course my choice of  pistol for SD  relies on the fact that i shoot pistol a lot so i dont have to even think, to manage barrel angles, mag reloads if necessary, number of rounds, aim, target choice etc. so your mileage may vary

however i still think that a shotgun indoor is >very< loud and while i agree that discussions with shotguns are usually very short, even using birdshot,  i dont want a family of deaf people.

same goes for a 223. too loud indoor.

Offline jdeko

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 08:01:01 PM »
I have a lot of goose ammo left over [from hunting geese] so I've kept my Saiga 12 loaded with either T-shot or Winchester Blindside BB-Shot. However having recently discovered Nobelsport 12 pellet 00 Buck I've started leaving a mag loaded with that since it's just short of a 3in magnum buckshot round and I know that will get the job done.

I'd say heavy birdshot would be at least as effective as a handgun and less likely to exit your house and enter your neighbor's if you live in the suburbs like I do. In the summer I'd reckon it would get the job done but would use buckshot in the winter.