Author Topic: wish the Phantom had interchangable grips  (Read 2120 times)

Offline puddintame

wish the Phantom had interchangable grips
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:43:17 PM »
prolly the only knock on the pistol. I would love to add a set of Hogue grips to it

Offline viking499

Re: wish the Phantom had interchangable grips
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 10:47:53 PM »
I added a set of Talon grips to mine and like it a lot better now.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 10:48:54 PM »
Agreed, in its factory config it is likely to narrow for me. My P-09 was too narrow so i used a cut down Hogue grip rap. This may be an option for the Phantom as well, i have not tried it because i do not own a Phantom.

Picture of my P-09 with the grip rap installed. While it was not easy to install it was worth it for me.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:50:43 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline puddintame

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 11:42:57 PM »
interesting. do you have a pic?

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 11:56:07 PM »
Love the Houge Handall on mine. Really like the palmswells.

It can be a bear to get on, I just heated it a bit with a hair dryer, slid it on, and when it cooled it shrunk right back up.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline XTrooper

• XTrooper's Web Site
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 12:44:01 AM »
Knock on the pistol?! How many polymer frame pistols are you aware of that offer interchangeable grips?

If changing grips is a major want or need, a metal frame pistol is the proper choice.
Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor
Life Member: VFW, VVA, NRA Benefactor

Offline viking499

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 06:50:44 AM »
interesting. do you have a pic?

I think I do somewhere.  Will look for it.

Offline GBUS

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 06:43:06 PM »
Knock on the pistol?! How many polymer frame pistols are you aware of that offer interchangeable grips?

If changing grips is a major want or need, a metal frame pistol is the proper choice.

Quite a few have some kind of adjustable grip these days. Most are just blackstraps, but my HK has different palm swells as well.

If you are willing to have the grip frame altered, I'm sure the guys who machine and add grip screw bushings to the Ruger MKII 22/45's that came without removable grip panels, would love a new market to open up as those guns have to dry up at some point.

Offline XTrooper

• XTrooper's Web Site
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 06:35:18 AM »

Quite a few have some kind of adjustable grip these days. Most are just blackstraps, but my HK has different palm swells as well.

If you are willing to have the grip frame altered, I'm sure the guys who machine and add grip screw bushings to the Ruger MKII 22/45's that came without removable grip panels, would love a new market to open up as those guns have to dry up at some point.

Grips and backstraps are two completely different things so your assertion that "quite a few have some kind of adjustable grip these days" is not only incorrect, it's misleading. Interchangeable backstraps are obviously not what we're talking about here. Why? Because the Phantom itself has them!

Yes, my Heckler & Koch P30L has interchangeable grip panels. They are hardly the same thing as an actual interchangeable grip as found on metal frame pistols, but, for argument's sake, let's concede that they are. Your "quite a few" is, in fact, an H&K model that is very possibly the only pistol in existence with this feature.

My initial statement still stands. If interchangeable grips are important to the buyer, they would be better served in buying a metal frame pistol that offers them the ability to change grips at the cost of a few minutes of their time and a screwdriver. This option involves infinitely less work, less time, and less expense than buying a new polymer frame pistol and having the grip frame altered which you suggest as if it were a sensible alternative. It's really not. The Ruger 22/45 you brought up is a perfect example. When Ruger saw the market desire for interchangeable grips on their 22/45, what was their solution? They dumped the polymer frame and replaced it with an aluminum one.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:18:40 AM by XTrooper »
Steve

Offline XTrooper

• XTrooper's Web Site
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 06:38:10 AM »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:40:30 AM by XTrooper, Reason: duplicate post »
Steve

Offline GBUS

wish the Phantom had interchangable grips
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 07:52:45 AM »
I don't disagree with your argument for the metal framed gun in this situation and certainly CZ's alloy frames offer some weight savings over their steel frames getting one a little bit closer to the polymer guns weight advantages.

I personally have zero interest in, and therefore know very little about the polymer offerings from CZ. I just wanted to mention the frame milling and bushing installation for adding side panels as an option, albeit a pretty extreme one that obviously adds expense and logistics. But some folks will go far above and beyond what others will do when modifying a specific gun for themselves.
I'm good with just adding Talon rubberized grip tape to my polymer guns when needed, but different strokes and all.

Offline amillx859

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 08:11:09 PM »
Love the Houge Handall on mine. Really like the palmswells.

It can be a bear to get on, I just heated it a bit with a hair dryer, slid it on, and when it cooled it shrunk right back up.

Have you tried the full size beaver tail one? Interested to know if it would fit as well.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 02:33:38 PM »
Not sure which one you are referring to.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.