Author Topic: Shadow 2 front and backstrap unsharpening  (Read 2757 times)

Online Stmark73

Shadow 2 front and backstrap unsharpening
« on: March 12, 2018, 12:38:06 AM »
Anybody in this group sanded down the front and backstrap checkering on their Shadow 2?
I find the front checkering a little too aggressive for my liking.
For those that sanded theirs down, can you kindly post pictures.
Thank you in advance

Offline MoRivera

Re: Shadow 2 front and backstrap unsharpening
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 01:40:31 AM »
I have not, but I would recommend maybe trying to apply some rubber grip tape over it first before doing any sanding or removing.

Offline rhart

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 05:46:37 AM »
I like the aggressive checkering and I do not have rough or calloused hands. I shot a match with mine yesterday and didn't notice any tenderness at all after roughly 170 - 180 rounds fired. If you sand the points off the checkering they will rust from the sweat on your hands so you may want to paint them or something.

Come to think of it, you may try a thick coat of paint over the checkering to soften the aggressiveness - if it works, your hands will become used to it as the paint wears off. Just a thought.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 12:54:31 PM »
I like it too as well as on the front strap of my Les Baer Premier II.  But I can also see someone being irritated by the sharp fine checkering if they aren't used to it.  I was like that when I first got my Les Baer, so I put a strip of Talon Grips rubber grip tape over the front strap, but eventually took it off after I had 'acclimated' to the gun more.  Now I really like the checkering on that and especially the Shadow 2.  Makes my other guns that don't have it feel slippery, and I've even added skateboard-tape-like grips tape to the front straps of some guns too resemble it more.

Offline uncle_malice

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »
I found the checkering on my Shadow 2 to be absolute perfection for my hands. I had a Springfield TRP years ago that was WAY TOO SHARP for me. But, I know other people who absolutely love the TRP... checkering sharpness seems to be a very personal preference.

As others have said, I would start with just trying a grip tape. a strip of the rubberized stuff from Talon would probably be nice.

Offline Crossfaced

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 02:18:36 PM »
I wonder if applying something like Plastic-Dip would soften the aggressive texture.

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 03:23:53 PM »
Dull it like you would a knife blade.  Run on a soft wood 2x4.  Might rub off the finish and have a new set of issues...

Or trade for a Gen1 SP-01?

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 03:28:07 PM »
I wonder if applying something like Plastic-Dip would soften the aggressive texture.

;D

Online Stmark73

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 03:46:11 PM »
It's not that I don't like the checkering. It's a big improvement from the SP-01 shadow. The only problem for me is that the first few lines of checkering under the trigger guard. It bites into the bony joint and flesh on the side of my middle finger,
I'll try using grip tape on the transition of the front strap and see how it goes.

Online Stmark73

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 03:48:58 PM »
Flex seal looks like a good idea too except it's hard to remove once it sets.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 07:09:46 PM »
I also believe the checkering is too sharp/aggressive for non-competition use. My SP-01 and Shadow Orange are just right IMO.

Offline George16

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 08:54:34 PM »
I sanded down the front and back strap of my Shadow 2. I used a 220 grit sandpaper and just gave it a few light passes to ?dull? the sharp and pointy ends of the checkering. It feels a lot better on my hands now. It?s still grippy minus the sharpness of the checkering.

Prior to sanding it (especially the front), I had to wrap my middle and ring finger of my right hand (right handed shooter) with friction tape to prevent them from getting chafed.

Online Stmark73

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 12:58:52 AM »
George16 - did you coat the the exposed metal after sanding it. What coating did you use? Can you post a picture of the checkering after the sanding

Offline George16

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 08:56:20 PM »
George16 - did you coat the the exposed metal after sanding it. What coating did you use? Can you post a picture of the checkering after the sanding

Here?s what it looks like after a couple of light passes of 220 grit sandpaper. I blow the dust and wiped it down afterwards.

Online Stmark73

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 01:49:47 AM »
George16- did you use any coating/sealant after sanding it to prevent corrosion?