Author Topic: Lubing a Shadow 2  (Read 861 times)

Offline rjkash

Lubing a Shadow 2
« on: March 12, 2018, 11:29:26 AM »
 I have been waiting a year to buy a Shadow 2 Black and Blue. Purchased one last week.  The pistols is, IMO, heavily lubed.  I like to clean my new guns before shooting, so my question is this---What is correct  procedure for lubing a new Shadow?  The included manual was no help.  I watched several Youtube videos but those are usually personal preferences.  I used the search feature in this forum with no luck.  Thanks from forum newbie!

Offline thedude

Re: Lubing a Shadow 2
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 11:40:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  I think it's a good idea to remove the lube from the factory, I believe it is there more for rust prevention than lubrication.  After that there is so much personal preference as to what to use on firearms, but I like oil and grease and ballistol clp.   ;)

Offline rjkash

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:20:42 PM »
Thanks!  I may have not been clear.  I am searching for what "locations" on the pistol need to be lubed.  If it is similar to Glocks or S&Ws or other plastic pistols, I am familiar with that.  Since this is a metal pistol, I want to be sure that I am not missing an important lube location specific to Shadow 2 pistols.  For example, does the slide rail need more or less lube?  Is grease or oil better for the slide rail?  It is an expensive pistol that I do not want to trash due to lack of knowledge.

Offline Crossfaced

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 02:46:17 PM »
I tried posting a picture of the lube points but I can’t figure out how. So hopefully that link helps. I started using Mobil 1 synthetic on all my guns a few years ago. Works great and inexpensive. This vid seems pretty convincing to me but the proof lies with the great results I have seen.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:18:57 PM by Crossfaced »

Offline n8vmdpath

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 04:14:41 PM »
Thanks!  I may have not been clear.  I am searching for what "locations" on the pistol need to be lubed.  If it is similar to Glocks or S&Ws or other plastic pistols, I am familiar with that.  Since this is a metal pistol, I want to be sure that I am not missing an important lube location specific to Shadow 2 pistols.  For example, does the slide rail need more or less lube?  Is grease or oil better for the slide rail?  It is an expensive pistol that I do not want to trash due to lack of knowledge.
On CZ design pistols, I prefer grease on the rails. A little goes a long way.   I have used Brownell's action lube plus and Superlube with good results

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline Cochise

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 11:43:29 AM »
Guns will usually tell you where to lube by looking for shinny spots. I too lube the rails (sparingly) and a few obvious shinny spots. I also squirt a little Hornady One Shot dry silicon lube between the frame and the trigger bar and where the hammer pivots. That's has a similar effect to polishing but needs to be done every cleaning after every shoot.

Enjoy your Shadow. I do recommend, at a minimum, you install a reduced power trigger spring and floating trigger pin from Cajun. That brought my trigger pull down from just under 3lbs 7oz to 2lbs 9oz average on my Lyman scale. I was surprised at that.

Offline rjkash

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 07:49:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Never heard of the dry silicon but it makes sense.

Offline Czgunsalot

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 02:57:37 AM »
I also like grease on the rails
Check out weapon shield grease
They have grease application needle