Author Topic: Project Appleseed  (Read 823 times)

Offline volbagman

Project Appleseed
« on: March 09, 2018, 09:56:45 AM »
I signed up for a Project Appleseed. It is March 24 and 25. I'm going to shoot my 10/22's this afternoon at the targets used in the event and then hope to get to the range a couple of time next week and the week after to at least be somewhat prepared.

Anybody ever done one of these? And if so, any advice?

Offline Raven1967

Re: Project Appleseed
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:42:48 PM »
I been to several over the years and its a fantastic program.You will learn a lot from their great instructors,lots of information to process.Bring a good lawn chair,drinks and pack a lunch.Several things to take a long include about 500 rounds or so of ammo,extra mags,staple gun and also another rifle in case you run into any problems or failures.A good shooting mat is a must as well,I got mine from Midway USA.
Lots of good info on their website as well and check out this place too http://www.tech-sights.com/

CZ SP-01 Phantom
CZ P-07 Urban Grey
CZ P-09 FDE
CZ 75B Cold War
CZ P10C
CZ 75 Compact

Offline Goju

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 12:36:17 AM »
This will be time and money very well spent. I try my best to take a new shooter to an event every year. You are going to get a lot of shooting information you may not have been exposed to before, so to minimize the ?taking a sip from a firehose? feeling and best concentrate on your shooting, i would highly recomment 1. 500 - 1000 rounds of ammo proven reliable in your rifle. This is not the place to bring out a box of this and a box of that. 2. Buy and install the $15 USGI sling on your 10/22. 3. A good shooting mat. Also, flat weights or stakes for the corners of your mat - in case the wind is gusting and your gear is on the deck when you are away from the firing line...sucks to see you stuff tumbling away when your mat turns into a boat sail. 4. 2 proven trouble free mags and at least 1spare
Have Fun and report back!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 07:14:28 AM »
I would love to attend and tried to "rent " our free public range for an Appleseed, but that fell through. I use the Appleseed targets myself, love them. Great outfit - post pics if you can?

Offline volbagman

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I have a mat from Midway. I got 700 rounds of CCI mini mags.I have 2 ruger 10/22"s both set up the same. I ordered appleseed targets a while back and shot Sunday. The best I did was 208. I think I will do better once somebody shows me what I am doing wrong. Looking forward 2 it

Offline burley

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:57:32 AM »
Love P.A.  Lots of fun, great folks and a useful skill.

I have a few magazines I try to keep pre loaded.

And there's a few 2 to 8 mag changes done seated and prone.
Might want to practice that. 
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

Offline volbagman

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 02:30:14 PM »
I'm concerned about some of the positions. My knees are shot. I have six 10 round mags and four 25 rounders, but it doesn't seem like the big mags will be useful. It will be better than working on the bathroom remodel i'm in the middle of for a weekend.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 03:30:20 PM »
They are going to try to teach you to really use your rifle.  No bench.  No sand bags.  Most likely no bipod.  Just you, the rifle, a good sling and the instruction you receive on using your body and your sling to build a good sling supported firing position.

What is a good sling supported firing position?  I could say you, your rifle and your sling, again, but once you start learning what they are teaching you'll be amazed at how quickly you can get into position and put rounds on the target.  You'll learn the techniques and practice them till you use them consistently.  That's part of the reason you do magazine changes and you have multiple targets on 3 of the 4 stages - because it make you break your sling supported firing position to either reload or engage the next target.  If you can't get back to that solid position (a key factor that is seldom spoken of on the internet is NPOA - Natural Point Of Aim) your group will not be the size you want it to be or be in the location on the target. 

Above/past the Appleseed is the RBC (Rifleman's Boot Camp) that takes a week to get through and (like the Appleseed) is conducted all day regardless of the weather.  I learned (naturally) way more in 6 days of shooting my M1A than I learned in a 2 day Appleseed.

Once you get that stuff they are teaching you under your belt (understanding and applying it consistently) you can lay down, sling up, put the sights on the target, close your eyes and shoot a really nice 5 shot group, without ever opening your eyes.  Serious as a heart attack.  A good sling supported prone firing position will control the recoil of an M1A/M14 or M1 Garand and if you understand and can get your NPOA working for you once you get on target you can close your eyes and fire and the rifle comes back to the same place.  BTDT.

Yes, you'll be tired by the end of Saturday and you'll be sore Sunday morning.  Take some Aleve (if your body can tolerate that medicine - I can't take it anymore do to being on coumadin) Saturday evening before you go to bed and again Sunday morning when you get up.

Take your cleaning stuff so you can clean your rifle Saturday evening.  Get it cleaned/lubed so it's ready for another 200/250 rounds, or more, on Sunday.  Why pay to attend, pay for gas, food/lodging and ammo only to have issues with a dirty/dry rifle?

If you go to the RWVA/Appleseed website you'll see links to a list of stuff to have/bring so you can be more organized, ready for what's going on and better able to concentrate on the techniques you're there to learn.

Good luck, have fun.  Yes, if you value being able to shoot a rifle better, an Appleseed or two is worth it.

I always got a kick out of the people who make fun of it for only being 25 meters (only some Appleseeds go full distance - 400 yds.)  Once you see the size of the targets, the stages of fire, the magazine changes the target changes and you've been going at it all day, you'll realize why only about 12 to 15% of the people attending will earn that rifleman's badge/patch.  It ain't easy, it is fun (especially once you start realizing you are improving.)
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

anything