Author Topic: Safety switch, which one is preferred and...  (Read 3215 times)

Offline ARP

Safety switch, which one is preferred and...
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:55:55 AM »
I am looking at swapping out the right side safety switch with either the short AK one or the long one, going to keep the left side one stock. Is there a preference? I'm leaning to the shorter version. Short explain of your experience with these if you please.

Also, the selector sure is stiff as compared to say an AR. Is there a softer spring available for that or does it feel better with the longer lever of the AK styled selector?

Offline Silent service

Re: Safety switch, which one is preferred and...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:58:52 AM »
I am looking at swapping out the right side safety switch with either the short AK one or the long one, going to keep the left side one stock. Is there a preference? I'm leaning to the shorter version. Short explain of your experience with these if you please.

Also, the selector sure is stiff as compared to say an AR. Is there a softer spring available for that or does it feel better with the longer lever of the AK styled selector?

I have stock on left side, and HBi long AK on right. The long is easier to actuate and sorta blocks the trigger when safety engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Destructo6

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 01:37:04 PM »
I tried several sorts and kept returning to stock CZ, which is what resides there now. With a buttstock, the right side does not dig into my knuckle. Different story when it was configured as a pistol.

I still have a CZ safety delete and HBi AR style that are just sitting around, collecting dust.

To lessen the resistance of moving the safety, you can do a few things (or a combination): a) round the little nubbin on the finger that engages the safety axle's notches. b) round the safety axle's notches. c) bend the finger up and away from the safety axle.

All require a little disassembly.

Bending the finger away from the safety axle can be done did the most for me. It's a simple as using a wide flat-bladed screwdriver inserted in the slot below the finger and twisting. Reinstall and test after each attempt to get it just right. If you bend a little too far, you can bend it back.

I won't say its exactly like an AR's safety now, but it's pretty good and positive.

Offline JLla84

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »
HBi AK safety all day! Its excellent! i haven't regretted it one bit...... go for it!
Visit my IG for USPSA and other shooting videos!
https://www.instagram.com/jlla84/

CZ Shadow 2 Cajunized
CZ P10c Cajunized
CZ Cajun PCR
CZ Scorpion K SBR
Sig P365XL RX
M&P Shield

Offline JLla84

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »

I have stock on left side, and HBi long AK on right. The long is easier to actuate and sorta blocks the trigger when safety engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^^
Visit my IG for USPSA and other shooting videos!
https://www.instagram.com/jlla84/

CZ Shadow 2 Cajunized
CZ P10c Cajunized
CZ Cajun PCR
CZ Scorpion K SBR
Sig P365XL RX
M&P Shield

Offline 3guneric

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »
Short AK works great for me.  Long one looks too long, but have no experience with it.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 06:34:52 PM »
I have the long AK on the right. It's ugly, but it works perfectly when actuated with my trigger finger. I tried PMM safeties and like this one better on the right side. I left the PMM short on the left.

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 08:24:14 PM »
HBI AK SHORT right side. Easy to actual with my trigger finger and also let me know with my trigger finger if I?m on safety or fire.

Offline akuser47

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 09:20:11 PM »
Long ak safety here, and on right side I love it. It gives nice leverage to easily actuate the safety with trigger finger. Hard to beat it price and effectiveness.

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 01:25:24 PM »
Am I the only one who totally hated the hbi safeties? Just didnt like the reversed action of down for safe up for fire... put them on ebay soon after.
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline Baker_cs

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 01:50:49 PM »
I have been using the HBI Long AK Safety for 18 months.  Love it.  It is super fast to use on a USPSA stage start.   I start with my finger on the bottom of the safety and just push up at the Beep.  The RO always knows the safety's status and you never have to worry about your finger creeping inside the trigger guard.  The mechanical advantage of a long safety totally overcomes the stiffness of the internals.  I have probably never even touched, let alone used, the factory left side safety since I put this on. 
You Are . . . What You Do . . . When It Counts

CZ's - Various

Offline Aragorn77

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 07:47:05 AM »
Probably not. I have never tried any of the AK style safeties. I didn't want a safety that had a different action than an AR. I am very happy with my PMM safeties and their familiar movement.

Am I the only one who totally hated the hbi safeties? Just didnt like the reversed action of down for safe up for fire... put them on ebay soon after.

Offline watchluvr4ever

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 10:29:08 AM »
Pretty happy with my Gear Head Works safety on the right and stock safety on the left side.

Offline Master Z

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 06:38:10 PM »
I have the Short AK style on the right OEM on the left.  Super easy to actuate, but I think the long one might get in the way and touch the trigger finger.
What I still cant get used to is that it's opposite of an AK safety action!
Down is fire and up is safe.  I've trained a lot with AK's and it's very instinctual for me, but this little guy is giving me hell. LOL

Offline Buckshot Barry

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 10:13:08 PM »
OEM Safety Switch for me, BUT I had to change my grip because of finger rub.

The Switchback grip solved the finger rub

I go off safe with my right thumb and safe with my index finger. Super fast, ambidextrous

FWIW, just like my AR is setup with the KAC ambi safety

anything