Author Topic: Anybody Carry CZ Shadow 2 ?  (Read 17718 times)

Offline jnichols2

Anybody Carry CZ Shadow 2 ?
« on: March 21, 2018, 06:48:57 PM »
I bought the gun 2 February.  It's a Black Polycoat, #91254 with Pre B Connector (no firing pin block safety).

I tried researching on my own, but didn't find the answer.  My questions mostly apply to carry methods.

I bought the gun for range use, and don't currently plan to carry it.  But, who knows?

Do those that carry:

1. Carry single action "cocked and locked", 1911 style.
2. Carry in Double Action mode.  My Shadow 2 has the best double action trigger I have ever seen or felt.
3. Nobody carries the Shadow.

If double action:

1. Decock the hammer to rest on the cartridge.  Not a good idea with no firing pin block safety.
2. Decock to the half cock safety notch.

All the threads I found discussed how to decock to full hammer rest. 
I verified that releasing the trigger after the hammer starts to move will rest it in half cock.

What do the experts say/recommend?

Offline rotorwind

Re: Anybody Carry CZ Shadow 2 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »
I carry mine around USPSA matches.   That?s it.   I would never carry it.   Way to heavy/big IMO

Offline uncle_malice

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:46:23 PM »
I love mine and currently have an AIWB kydex holster being made for it... it will probably get carried very little, just for novelty. But I'm so in love with the gun, I just want to have it 'with me' more frequently. Otherwise, I have the P-07, Sphinx SDP Compact, and an SP-01 to carry as well (along with a bunch of others).

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:43:33 PM »
It is a really beautiful, well made and accurate pistol.  It is also big and very heavy relative to other CZ (or other brand) carry options.  My primary CZ carry pistol is my P-01.  But hey, whatever works for you.

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -

Offline dEX_RX

• NXGen Tactical
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 04:24:06 PM »
Carrying a shadow 2 is the same weight as 2 Glock 19s almost.

Unless you?re an exceptionally large guy it?s goinf to be a bear to conceal.

My back hurts just thinking about it.
CZC Bull Shadow 2 - Bronze
CZ Shadow 2 - Black
Walther PPS M2

Offline jnichols2

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 05:14:10 PM »
I don't need any more "don't carry it".

Can anybody answer my questions?

Offline dEX_RX

• NXGen Tactical
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 05:21:17 PM »

The FP spring is strong enough that it would take, IMO, a substantial impact for the FP to contact the primer with enough force to cause it to ignite. The hammer, when fully lowered, cannot force the FP to go further forward. You would be fighting the innertia of the firing pin spring with the mass and force of the impact. Which means, ultimately is the same potential ?failure mode? as a half cocked scenario.

We can?t tell you what condition you are comfortable carrying with. We have no idea what you?re used to, what you?ve trained with or what manual of arms you feel is appropriate for CC. None are measurably ?safer? than another from a pure mechanical standpoint. That?s for you to decide.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:22:54 PM by dEX_RX »
CZ Shadow 2 - Black
Walther PPS M2

Offline nutrider

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 08:53:57 PM »
If I were to carry my Shadow 2, I would most likely carry it loaded and fire the first shot using the double action. 

Offline jnichols2

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 10:01:54 PM »

The FP spring is strong enough that it would take, IMO, a substantial impact for the FP to contact the primer with enough force to cause it to ignite. The hammer, when fully lowered, cannot force the FP to go further forward. You would be fighting the innertia of the firing pin spring with the mass and force of the impact. Which means, ultimately is the same potential ?failure mode? as a half cocked scenario.

We can?t tell you what condition you are comfortable carrying with. We have no idea what you?re used to, what you?ve trained with or what manual of arms you feel is appropriate for CC. None are measurably ?safer? than another from a pure mechanical standpoint. That?s for you to decide.

Just to check, are you describing the firing pin block?
Mine is the Black Polycoat, #91254 with Pre B Connector (no firing pin block safety).
Why they would make one Shadow 2 model, out of several, that way escapes me.  But, I'm having trouble understanding many things about the CZ lineup.

Or you saying, in general, it takes a full hammer impact to drive the FP forward.
Of course, even then, my model would not be drop safe.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 12:04:15 AM »
My Shadow is used for range and action shooting competition and the first shot is DA every time.  My first shot for carry would be the same.
  MY GUESS, as I have no intention of testing this, but:
Unless you dropped the pistol "exactly square" on the fully down hammer from a height of 8-10 feet on concrete,  I doubt it would fire.  The inertial firing pin needs a pretty good hit to "fly" and hit the cartridge primer.  The fully cocked hammer spring accelerates the hammer strike to a pretty high speed. 
  Then again,  stranger things have happened.

Offline dEX_RX

• NXGen Tactical
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 05:11:04 AM »

Just to check, are you describing the firing pin block?
Mine is the Black Polycoat, #91254 with Pre B Connector (no firing pin block safety).
Why they would make one Shadow 2 model, out of several, that way escapes me.  But, I'm having trouble understanding many things about the CZ lineup.

Or you saying, in general, it takes a full hammer impact to drive the FP forward.
Of course, even then, my model would not be drop safe.

CZ produced the S2 without the FPBlock because it?s an extremely purpose driven pistol. Removing the FPBlock allows for significantly shorter trigger reset, thus faster shot split times.

I?m not sure you fully understand how the firing mechanism works. I?ll try to explain it.
With the hammer FULLY down, it rests against the back of the firing pin. Even if you dropped a fully loaded pistol onto the hammer, the hammer has no way to move further forward, meaning the firing pin can?t move substantially either.

With the hammer HALF COCKED, if you were to drop the pistol directly on the hammer, yet again, the mechanism prevents the hammer from dropping further, preventing significant if any firing pin motion.

In either case, if you dropped the pistol directly muzzle down, this would be, IMO, the most likely to discharge, but in the same breath is extremely unlikely. The force of gravity and then the impact would need to overcome the force of the Firing Pin Spring with so much force that the firing pin hits the primer with adequate force. Again, IMO, very unlikely.

Just being honest here but it sounds like you?re looking for reasons to not like the pistol. The Shadow2 is by leaps and bounds one of the best pistols for the money period but ESPECIALLY if you?re into competition shooting. It was designed with that in mind. Does that mean it CANT be carried? Absolutely not. Are there better options out there for MANY reasons? Absolutely.
CZ Shadow 2 - Black
Walther PPS M2

Offline jnichols2

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »
Rest assured, I'm not looking for reasons not to like the pistol.

I like the pistol very much, and read many threads trying to learn all I could.
Most of these threads tend to convey that it's pretty much considered a competition only pistol.
I was wondering about why it even has a double action capability if it's not intended for carry.

As I said, I really don't intend to carry it, and I don't do competition, but I like to know all I can about my guns.
The recent replies to this thread have helped me to learn a lot.

Thanks for the inputs.

Offline dEX_RX

• NXGen Tactical
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 07:50:46 AM »
The reason it has DA capability is it?s required for USPSA production rules.
CZ Shadow 2 - Black
Walther PPS M2

Offline schmeky

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »
A race gun for CC is not something I would personally do.

Offline Buzzsaw

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 01:36:10 PM »
I will carry mine for defense.

1. The double action is fine for a quick, close up defensive shot.
2. If you need to take a cover position and make a long shot (25 yards+) you can always hand cock it and go SA.

anything