Author Topic: Barrel swap on CZ-82/83  (Read 866 times)

Offline Faraway

Barrel swap on CZ-82/83
« on: March 24, 2018, 11:02:22 PM »
Is there any guidance on swapping CZ barrels?  I have seen if for the Makarovs but not the CZ 82/83.  The barrel press that is advertised for the Mak specifically says it will not work on a CZ. 

Curious what others experience is?   (My definition of experience is something you get ten minutes after you needed it.)

Offline eastman

Re: Barrel swap on CZ-82/83
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »
I've never changed a barrel on a CZ 83 (or vz 82), but I don't expect it to be easy. Why are looking to replace a barrel?

As a friend of mine used to say "experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted"
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Faraway

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »
I've never changed a barrel on a CZ 83 (or vz 82), but I don't expect it to be easy. Why are looking to replace a barrel?

As a friend of mine used to say "experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted"

I have acquired a CZ83 that is threaded and thought it might be fun to get quiet. :-)

Offline Faraway

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »
Anyone?

Offline il.bill

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
I really do not have anything to contribute to this thread, but that has never stopped me before, and since there are few replies I will pass this along ...

I recently had the good fortune to acquire and sell a little over a dozen used Century Arms Int'l CZ83 pistols chambered in .32 ACP.  Most of the buyers, like me, had been looking for just such a CZ83 for over five or six years so they went pretty fast.  I test fired and field stripped / cleaned each one before putting it up for sale.  Of the fourteen pistols, one of the last batch looked really nice externally and had a clearly new barrel that had been arsenal installed somewhere in eastern Europe.

Apparently, that is not an easy thing to do well, even for a professional.  The new barrel looked nice and shiny pinned in place, but the entrance to the chamber was not right.  there were two significant 'steps' or bumps that the bullet had to negotiate going up the feed ramp and into the chamber and it will not feed, although it fires and ejects fine if you manually insert the cartridge.  I briefly thought about trying my hand at correcting things with a dremel tool - at the worst I would have a non-functional 'parts gun' on hand if the operation failed.  The more I looked closely at that pistol frame and barrel, the more daunted I became, so I got an RMA number from my distributor and am sending it back, even though I can find no .32 ACP CZ83s left for sale anywhere.  If the European arsenal smith could not get it right, I did not think I would be able to do any better.

Again, not knowing what I am talking about never kept me quiet before, so I thought I would share this 'info'.  By the way, if anyone is looking for a $350 'gunsmith special' CZ83 in .32 ACP, let me know :)

Offline JoePfeiffer

• Pfeiffer Family
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 04:52:34 AM »
My experience doing the job was not as bad as you'd think.  I had bulged the old barrel (having fun shooting rapid fire; suddenly pistol was locked up tight.  Squib load?), so getting it apart was there hard part.  I drilled the old barrel, ruining it and the recoil spring.

Anyway, once I got to it I drove the pin out and pushed the barrel out.  My hazy recollection is it came out easily.  It was possible to put the new barrel in place without a press, and I was able to position it so the ramp lined up.  I than drilled the hole for the pin, and installed the pin.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk