Author Topic: Frame modification diary. Beavertail, trigger guard, magwell, flush slide stop, undercut  (Read 8131 times)

Offline sberres

The tail has kind of dominated your attention lately but how did the trigger guard work out?  Were you able to get that void filled ok?
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline Underwhere

The tail has kind of dominated your attention lately but how did the trigger guard work out?  Were you able to get that void filled ok?

Also not the greatest. It turned out ok.
It's so thin that it was difficult to fill holes.
I ended up with an edge of the trigger guard that had a small line crack in it from the casting. I tried to fill that last night. Being on a really thin edge it was difficult but it ended up a bit better.
It's not perfect but I can live with it.

I'll post pics tonight.

Offline sberres

I ended up with an edge of the trigger guard that had a small line crack in it from the casting. I tried to fill that last night. Being on a really thin edge it was difficult but it ended up a bit better.

I'll post pics tonight.
All in all sounds like a bit of a letdown. Regroup, take notes, don't despair!  You'll come out the other side that much the wiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline Underwhere

I'll post pics tonight.
All in all sounds like a bit of a letdown. Regroup, take notes, don't despair!  You'll come out the other side that much the wiser.

Yup. Right now I'm re-examining my welding equipment and techniques. I ordered new collets. My #5 seemed to be somewhat non-circular and there was a lot of crud on it.

When I weld on this material the surface instantly goes bumpy and as soon as I give it any heat at all it develops a hole.
Certainly not the welding I'm used to. Stainless would puddle and the surface would remain solid. Aluminum much harder to start but it doesn't do this either.

I used to do a lot of stainless and a bunch of aluminum in the past. Never anything this small.

Offline rhart

I'll post pics tonight.

Yup. Right now I'm re-examining my welding equipment and techniques. I ordered new collets. My #5 seemed to be somewhat non-circular and there was a lot of crud on it.

When I weld on this material the surface instantly goes bumpy and as soon as I give it any heat at all it develops a hole.
Certainly not the welding I'm used to. Stainless would puddle and the surface would remain solid. Aluminum much harder to start but it doesn't do this either.

I used to do a lot of stainless and a bunch of aluminum in the past. Never anything this small.

Any updates? I find this post very interesting.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline Underwhere

I'll post pics tonight.

Any updates? I find this post very interesting.
I found a local professional welder who is going to take a look next week. I'll post an update when I see him.

Offline Underwhere

I was just test fitting the hammer again. I honestly forget what I had done since the last time I test fitted. Definitely different now though.

Now the hammer doesn't fit. The slide cannot move rearward because the hammer gets sandwiched against the beavertail.

Going to the welders tomorrow.

I think the solution is simple to describe. Harder to implement. I need more material underneath and less up top. I also need to fill those holes.

Every other day I feel like I should give it a shot myself. Then I remember my 8 month old will have me up at 5AM and I really do try feel like being up at 1AM swearing in my garage.

Offline Underwhere

Here are both pics next to each other.
This is all from the heat bending the beavertail upwards. I didn't bend it purposefully.

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Take the spur off the hammer.

CZ sells some competition hammers for the CZ Tactical Sport that have no spur.  I think this one only works on the TS but you get the idea.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Underwhere

Take the spur off the hammer.

CZ sells some competition hammers for the CZ Tactical Sport that have no spur.  I think this one only works on the TS but you get the idea.

Good suggestion. If I can avoid that I will though. Mostly personal preference.
I've made enough changes to this gun and it looks a bit like a Frankenstein at this point. One of the things I love about the race hammer is the look. Since I'm welding anyway I might as well try and make it work.

Also a little concerned about taking the weight off the hammer. I'm leaving this gun DA/SA and want to ensure that it will ignite all primers in DA with an 11# hammer spring. I don't want to have to go up in weight.

Offline rhart

This is all from the heat bending the beavertail upwards. I didn't bend it purposefully.

If you heat the underside of the beavertail to just below red hot and apply wet rags to the underside as it cools, it will pull it back down some. Just heat a small area in the place it was welded. May have to repeat a couple of times. I'm assuming you last welded (applied heat) to the top side last.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:49:27 PM by rhart »
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).

Offline Underwhere

Stopped by the welder's place today with a 12 pack.

Things seemed easy for him. I noticed he didn't clean anywhere near how I did. I was meticulous. He was not.

He used a #4 cup at 15cfh straight argon with the tungsten extended about 1/4" from the cup which I've never seen before. He had his machine set at 50 amps controlled by pedal. This is very similar to what I had my settings on.

Nevertheless he managed a pretty clean weld the first time.

Then we decided to weld on a piece of sheet metal under the beavertail to give it some thickness and then I'd go home and grind away.

All in, it took about an hour for him to do this. His welds were cleaner than mine. He made no mistakes. He also welded much much faster. There was no need for special cooling. With my welding, things were getting red hot.

So here are some pics of the welds and then after some grinding. I think I'm back on track.

I need to visit him again to clean up some edges and I think I'll have to regrind and then finish sand it to complete the beavertail.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:56:34 AM by Underwhere »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Good looking bottom blend,  especially with all the welding done.

Offline copemech

this  is like watching some sort of sex change operation! O0

Offline rhart

Looking better each day!
Musashi:

anything