Author Topic: Anyone know if CZ-99 model is due for USA importation?  (Read 2370 times)

SecureCitizen

Anyone know if CZ-99 model is due for USA importation?
« on: June 07, 2005, 06:25:46 PM »
...or have any  other information about this weapon you'd like to share...here's where I saw it...

world.guns.ru/handguns/hg133-e.htm

Thanks...

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 06:47:53 PM »
Its not a CZ.  (Even though they call it that.)  Its a variant of a SIG clone.  Apparently a pretty good gun.  Check the SIG Forum on the web for more info.   As far as I know, they're already being imported, although not a lot of them are floating around.

KingPolymer-III

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 03:58:42 AM »

CZ57

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 06:41:15 PM »
The CZ-99 has been around for a while. They were fairly common here in the late 80's and there were, as with all pistols imported and sold at modest prices, some issues of problems reported. The Serbians seem to have had a taste for things German, well, for more years than I've been alive. So this pistol is patterned after the P-226 from SIG and was offered in .40 prior to the SIG P-226, but I don't know how many actually made it to the US, because importation stopped at about that time.

As KPIII pointed out this is the pistol now sold as the ZDA from Charles Daly. You have at least one persons evaluation to go on. If bought and proved to function reliably, I think you might have a pretty decent combat pistol. I wish I had more specifics on the quality of materials, but if the steels used are anything like that used by the Croatians in the XD pistols, reliability would be about the only thing to be concerned with. The steel used in the Croation barrels, rates with some of the better ones out there and is reminiscent of Walther's philosophy on gun barrel steel.

The Serb army used them in fairly large numbers during the Yugoslavian Civil War years and another reason availability began to decrease. Milosovic was not exactly one of the favored people in power by our government either and that may, or may not have factored in as far as trade restrictions. One of the other two posters would be better qualified to discuss that.

If the price you can get it for is making it enticing, it definitly seems like a lot of pistol for the money and if imported by a large US gunmaker like Springfield, instead of Charles Daly, a lot of perceptions could be different. The downside is, that if it is not, you might have a hard time recouping your money, or a significant amount of it back, if sold used. Walt offered good advice as well in checking out SIGForum, but keep in mind, the majority of guys there are very loyal SIG owners and for very good reason, so I would tend to look a little harder at the positive oppinions from those that actually own them, rather than the negatives from people who don't. The fact that it was all steel and was going to be offered in .40, had me thinking pretty hard about one before they disappeared around the mid 90's or so.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum! ;)

anything