Author Topic: 2nd day at the range  (Read 1573 times)

AW99

2nd day at the range
« on: March 26, 2018, 09:37:55 PM »
Today was my second day at the range with my 805; the first day was little more than a familiarization.

I spent the initial 120 or so rounds first zeroing my RDS, then just blasted away getting a feel for the weapon with a shot every 2-5 seconds - all while seated with the forestock on a sandbag.

Everything was great until I stood up to shoot unsupported... and promptly got 5 out of 20ish failure to feed where the bullet was shoved back into the case.  Each time I removed the mag, cycled the weapon, reloaded for another shot.  When I sat back down and put the forestock back on the sandbag I had no problems with the remainder of that mag or the next two.  I am a lefty with the charging handle on the right, but am pretty sure my hand wasn?t blocking the handle preventing the bolt from going forward at speed.  The weapon was well lubed.  I am no Hulk, but not twiggy either and have 25 years of hauling an M16/M4 around for Uncle Sam.  Got any wild ideas what was going on??

Also, when I went to clean it tonight the gas block was very hard to rotate and get the thing out.  I had a steel punch through it with my hand wrapped around it while my other forearm held the stock against the workbench to get it to turn.  Then had to work it back and forth with difficulty before it finally released.  That normal?  Total round count today was only 180 rounds of IMI 55gr M193 with a few 77gr Blackhills OTM for POI comparison. The gas block had a light coat of CLP going into the range.

Your insights are appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill

Offline thehun

Re: 2nd day at the range
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »
What mags were you using?

AW99

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 10:22:47 PM »
Basic metal mil-spec mags - Stoner I think.  Mags had been running fine when firing supported.  I must admit I usually, but not always, had a hand on the mag when seated. 

You may be on to something.

Thx

Offline thehun

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 08:24:29 AM »
I use USGI D&H mags with no problem (same ones that are supplied with the BREN).

Are you doing a magwell grip :o I would advise you to not do that. That's bad weapon control...but if that is what you prefer personally...no biggie...but sometimes having pressure on the mag like that can cause malfunctions...especially if its a well used mag.

Offline czphan35

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 01:42:22 PM »
Sounds like a mag issue IMO...
CZ 805 Bren S1 Carbine | CZ 75 Compact

AW99

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 09:33:26 PM »
I?ll go hunt down some other mags to add to the collection.  Unfortunately I live in the People?s Republic of Maryland, though close enough to Virginia. Because of MD, my BREN came without mags in the box.

When I was standing I had my hand on the by then very hot forestock.  Only had my hand on the mag when sitting down using a sandbag on a bench and that?s when I had zero problems. 

It will be at least next week until I can get back to the range for another try with some Pmags I have.

Thanks.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 03:37:08 AM »
Get thee a foregrip - that metal rail will heat up quick. I have tried a few different magazines and GI surplus has always worked well, with MagPul anti tilt followers.