Author Topic: PSA for anyone not happy with factory P-01 sights  (Read 14294 times)

Offline Usmo

Re: PSA for anyone not happy with factory P-01 sights
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 09:30:16 PM »
The Dawson sights are really nice @ Boss281. I need the tritiums because my P-01 is my night table gun. Might put the sights you have on my new 97b though. Thanks!

Offline Maverick986

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »
Nice set up.... 8)

Offline ShooterJD

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 07:33:02 PM »
Swapped mine out for TRUGLO day/night sights on a P 01 and SP 01 work great.

Offline Criz

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »
I swapped to the TFX Pros on my Omega and they are great.  Time to do the same on my HK P30. 
The lgs by me had them in stock for $140 and install was free.  Worth a look.
Army - 67N Crewchief
Italian Motorcycles
German Cars
Northwest Coast IPAs

Offline CZhawk

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 09:58:06 AM »
I swapped to the TFX Pros on my Omega and they are great.  Time to do the same on my HK P30. 
The lgs by me had them in stock for $140 and install was free.  Worth a look.
I just did the same, have them on my SP01 Tactical and now my P01. They are the best sights going in my book.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline inletman

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 09:13:07 PM »
Just ordered from Dawson for my P 01 - Black rear sights and fiber optic front sight. They will send red and green for fiber optic front sight -can try each and decide- he said older eyes (me) usually prefer green, but not always. The guy I talked to said he felt fo rear sights can distract from concentrating on front sight

cost about $78- free shipping.

anyone have these....I believe one post said they preferred them for range shooting

Offline GBUS

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 10:18:26 AM »
Just ordered from Dawson for my P 01 - Black rear sights and fiber optic front sight. They will send red and green for fiber optic front sight -can try each and decide- he said older eyes (me) usually prefer green, but not always. The guy I talked to said he felt fo rear sights can distract from concentrating on front sight

anyone have these....I believe one post said they preferred them for range shooting

They sound a lot like the sights on my shadow line P-01.
I have always preferred a plain black rear, or a single dot like the Sig bar and dot or the Heine straight 8 over a two dot rear on my handguns. I find the really bright rear sights can be distracting and draw your focus away from the target and front sight.
Of course everyone's eyes are different so we need to find what works best for us.

Offline inletman

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 08:59:37 PM »
got the Dawson black rear sights and fiber optic front (I picked green). After shooting my P 01 a couple of times...when shooting today, the rear sight came loose. I noticed sight picture was crazy off, found the rear sights could be moved? What now - gun smith who installed has gunsmithed for 30 yrs.

I guess the screw wasn't tightened enough....suppose I'll take gun back to him and get him to hopefully fix it...anyone ever heard of this?

Offline Usmo

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 10:25:09 AM »
Yeah..the set screw isn't tight. I install my own sights and I sand just enough off of the bottom to get a tight fit so they can only be pushed into place with a sight pusher. Maybe the gunsmith took a tiny bit too much off the bottom because mine don't freely move around even without the screw tightened.

Offline puddintame

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 01:41:51 PM »
the stock sights on the p01/pcr/b/bd are all terrible. just glad there are so many options to choose from

Offline inletman

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 09:00:02 PM »
Yeah..the set screw isn't tight. I install my own sights and I sand just enough off of the bottom to get a tight fit so they can only be pushed into place with a sight pusher. Maybe the gunsmith took a tiny bit too much off the bottom because mine don't freely move around even without the screw tightened.
Can the gun smith fix it? Dawson says use their punch-not a pusher. also emphacize Locktite

Offline SP01bob

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 10:19:50 PM »
Can the gun smith fix it? Dawson says use their punch-not a pusher. also emphacize Locktite
I have older eyes and the factory sights on SP01 stink. So I ordered the black rear fiber optic red for that gun and the fiber green back and red front for my P01.

I've never installed sights. I'm new to all this, and want to learn but don't want to screw it up either. Is it something easily done or should I just have a gunsmith do it?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 11:02:03 PM »

Yea these are the way to go in my book & will be ordering them tonight ! Great sights with the Fiber Optic in front and Black in rear with nice square notch ! Fast target pickup and darn accurate.  ;D There are tons of thoughts & ideals about rear black/rear tritium/rear fiber etc my thought is if you need night sights you NEED a flashlight MORE !  ;) The flashlight is gonna help you make a smart decision if you ever "really" need your pistol for self defense. Spend the $$$ you were gonna use on tritium and put it towards a quality flashlight,,that's my 2cents worth  :D

Offline GBUS

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 12:14:23 AM »

Yea these are the way to go in my book & will be ordering them tonight ! Great sights with the Fiber Optic in front and Black in rear with nice square notch ! Fast target pickup and darn accurate.  ;D There are tons of thoughts & ideals about rear black/rear tritium/rear fiber etc my thought is if you need night sights you NEED a flashlight MORE !  ;) The flashlight is gonna help you make a smart decision if you ever "really" need your pistol for self defense. Spend the $$$ you were gonna use on tritium and put it towards a quality flashlight,,that's my 2cents worth  :D

^^Exactly, tritium night sights just help me find my gun quickly when I open the draw on my bed side table. The weapon light lets me identify the reason I opened the draw in the first place.

I like a black rear sight or single rear dot like the Heine straight eight sights.
Fiber or fiber/tritium front for target/SD or something like the XS 24/7 big dot front sight works good for SD but not so much target shooting.

Offline Usmo

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 06:39:39 PM »
Inletman, For me the sight pusher is worth its weight in gold. I have changed the sights on 4 of my CZs and 2 clones. and I plan on getting a lot more CZs which will have horrible factory sights. I tried Dawson's punches and accidentally marred my gun. Never again. Sight pusher generates enough force to slide the sight into the fairly tight dovetail slot, without beating on your slide with a hammer and a punch that has a delicate plastic tip.
And yes the gunsmith should be able to fix it unless he took too much off the bottom. The final step would be to put locktite on the screw and tighten it.
Just the locktite and the screw may fix your problem, but I can't say for sure cause I haven't sen your gun.