Author Topic: Current extended magazine options?  (Read 4619 times)

Offline ireallydontknow

Current extended magazine options?
« on: April 10, 2018, 02:25:11 PM »
What are the current mag extension options for compact guns?

From my research I have found that Mec-Gar +2 extensions don't seem to work on the flush fit 14rd mags. The 15rd Mec-Gars should work with extensions, but they are cost prohibitive at $40 a pop + $12 per extension. Taran Tactical and Taylor Freelance extensions are two other options that reportedly work with 14rd mags, but I have read conflicting reports on those too. I know Taran's product specifically calls for use with 17rd magazines. Lastly, I believe 16rd mags + SP01 base plates work as well.

Ideally, I'm aiming for at least 17+1 since the added real estate of appendix carry seems to allow that.

Offline tbRich

Re: Current extended magazine options?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:30:45 PM »
I have taran tactical +4?s on my 14 round mec-gar magazines. Love them so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ireallydontknow

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »
Tbrich, that +4 looks better than I would have thought. Do you appendix carry that beast? My current set up is really similar with the Olight PL mini as well. I?ve been carrying a little off center at 1:30-2:00 so I don?t know if it would jut out too much with a +4.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 06:50:57 PM »
I use the 16 round magazines with the base plate that makes them looks liked a flush fit magazine.  Those base plates are about $8 + $20 or $21 for the 16 round Mecgar magazine (Greg Cote, LLC) gets you to about $28 per magazine.

I've also bought the 19 round magazines for about $30 each, again, Mecgars from Greg Cote, LLC and Midway USA (catch them on sale).

I've bought the +2 extensions from CZ USA and added them to 16 round magazines.  They stick out a little, but who cares.  Oh, the ones I bought were the +2's for the P07 and P09 magazines but they've been working fine on my CZ 75 16 round magazines for a couple years or more.

When I got them from CZ USA they were selling for $5 for two of them.  Had to buy several (or was it more than several??)

You don't have to buy CZ stamped/brand magazines.  Everyone says Mecgar makes them for CZ anyway, so just buy Mecgar and save yourself about $10 per magazine.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline ireallydontknow

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 07:07:46 PM »
I use the 16 round magazines with the base plate that makes them looks liked a flush fit magazine.  Those base plates are about $8 + $20 or $21 for the 16 round Mecgar magazine (Greg Cote, LLC) gets you to about $28 per magazine.

I've also bought the 19 round magazines for about $30 each, again, Mecgars from Greg Cote, LLC and Midway USA (catch them on sale).

I've bought the +2 extensions from CZ USA and added them to 16 round magazines.  They stick out a little, but who cares.  Oh, the ones I bought were the +2's for the P07 and P09 magazines but they've been working fine on my CZ 75 16 round magazines for a couple years or more

My main reservation about the 16rd baseplate method is that the hard plastic corners tear up my shirt.

The 19rd ones are actually 17+2 Mecgar extension, correct? Do they stick out about as much as your 16+2 p07 baseplate?

Offline ireallydontknow

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:15:16 PM »
BTW everyone, I messaged MecGar and they said they are going to be releasing 15rd compact magazines in the coming months. These would likely be compatible with the MecGar +2 extensions making them 17+1 for cheap(er) than alternatives like TTI :)

Offline tbRich

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 07:40:36 PM »
Tbrich, that +4 looks better than I would have thought. Do you appendix carry that beast? My current set up is really similar with the Olight PL mini as well. I?ve been carrying a little off center at 1:30-2:00 so I don?t know if it would jut out too much with a +4.
Yeah I think it looks good on there also. I carry my PCR with a 14 round mag and ppd flush baseplate. The 14+4 would make for a good backup to carry tho. I just prefer something flush for my carry. I keep that urban grey P-01 with the light on my night stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ireallydontknow

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »

Update. The TTI +2 actually holds +3 on a 14rd magazine. 17+1 total. Initially, it got stuck at 15rds. Forcing it down with a Lula loader resulted in a loud *crunch*.  Magically, the last 3 rounds were able to be easily loaded after that. I can't see any damage to the follower, springs, or mag body so I'd assume it was the noise of the springs being forced into alignment. 5 mag dumps at the range confirmed perfect function.

The push pin design with flush fitting magazines will cause the pin to hit your main spring plug when seated. There's now a nice shiny spot on mine where the pin hit it. I'm mildly concerned that the pin will be pushed out at some point if I seat the mag too hard so I tightened the setscrew (voids warranty). The mag extension probably will not work at all with a lanyard loop.