Author Topic: Shot steel plates today at 200 yards with my shadow 2..yes 200 yards  (Read 1303 times)

Offline kmanick

Went to a range today with a buddy of mine and they had a 200 yard rifle range with a bunch of 15" gongs set up at different heights.
we loaded up mags with 5 rounds at a time
Amazingly (for me anyway) I went 2/5, 1/5 and 2/5 out of the 3 mags I shot off of  a rest.
I can't believe I actually hit at 200 yards. This gun is simply amazing :)
make it criminal to own a gun and only criminals will own them

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Shot steel plates today at 200 yards with my shadow 2..yes 200 yards
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:59:03 PM »
Congrats!
About how much holdover did you use to hit at 200 yards?

Offline kmanick

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 10:50:09 PM »
surprisingly not that much, tough to pinpoint though because I did miss enough to have to keep 're-calibrating"
but I believe the ones I hit, I had my sight basically at the top edge of the target.
I did miss several times a touch left (which surprised me because I'm left handed , I usually pull right if my miss laterally)
I used Lawman 124 full metal jacket (which I find shoots pretty accurate and consistent)
I'm very stoked I could actually do this. I'm coming from an M&P platform , I have a Performance Center 9L with a ported barrel and JPoint RMR on it,
and I have never been able to shoot consistently with that gun outside of 50 feet , never mind 200 yards.
needless to say that gun is going up for sale....I can't go back  ;D
My buddy hit a couple as well, he was floored, he is hitting the OakHill.com site to get one as a "birthday present " for himself.
he's a big Sig guy that I believe just became a CZ convert
make it criminal to own a gun and only criminals will own them

Offline Criz

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 11:14:14 PM »
That is really cool.  I will have to do that at my outdoor range when the weather breaks.
I read a great article about a border guard that had to learn to shoot at 700 yards with his pistol at drug runners that had rifles and were firing at him. 
He had a cool system.  He always kept his front sight on the target but walked down the slide.  At like 300 yards he had his rear sights at the bottom of the front instead of lined up 3 dot.  I want to say at 500yards he had his rear sight on the front of the ejection port and at 700 he had it at the back of the ejection port.  From what he wrote, it seemed to work pretty well.
I like the idea of keeping the front sight on target and adjusting instead of guessing holdover. 
Totally worth a try if shooting long distance is up your lane.
Army - 67N Crewchief
Italian Motorcycles
German Cars
Northwest Coast IPAs

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 12:07:27 AM »
A member's method posted here some time back was unique and seemed to work.
He raised the front site with a piece of colored tape on the slide rail top.  He marked lines on the tape to level with the rear site.  When he got hits he cut the tape off level with the front site,  so he could fire more shots with the exact same elevation.  Pretty slick and he video'd the consistent hits.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 07:08:43 AM »
Steel at 200 yds with a handgun?
Right On!!!!!!
I think everyone needs to at least try!

The last time I was shooting my handguns at that distance, or maybe a little more - it completely surprised me that I did better with my 75 SP-01Tac than I did with my Springfield 5.25 Match.  The Springfueld used to be the handgun I shot best at a distance.  Not anymore.  The CZ is my go-to now. 

Where I was shooting I had to more or less make my target completely disappear behind the front post.  Just for clarification purposes - my target was uphill slightly and at about 250 yds - using my 115gr RN reloads.  Rainbow trajectory. The CZ went 3/10.  The Springfield went 0/20.

But "playing" at those longer distances makes hitting a std plastic milk jug at 100yds easy work..... just don't expect to be able to do it under any sort of pressure or time constraint!

Offline mastaking

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:37:28 PM »
I live in NY and the range I go to maxes out at 25 yards  :-[

Offline Joe L

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 08:20:04 AM »
I couldn't shoot 200 yards with open sights very well, I'm afraid.  But I have had good results with a red dot from a wrist rest, however.  Really good results.  Like 10" five shot group (one time!)  but several sub 12" groups at 200 yards.  Here are a few videos.  Again, none with open sights, only red dot.  A lot easier!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7GbOFIiTV0xt-yUxqYvFX6tek_pEmLes

Joe
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:22:32 AM by Joe L »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 08:01:03 PM »
Rock on! Joe L - you have a new student!

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 12:39:37 AM »
Rock on! Joe L - you have a new student!
[/quoete]

A NEW student???  What, were you just shooting spit wads or daydreaming in class for last year or so?

Offline PIPES

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 06:22:12 PM »
This is amazing. Good shooting! I?ve never tried shooting a handgun that far, but I?m sure it wouldn?t be easy.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 07:30:42 PM »
It is EASY.....

To miss!