Author Topic: Learn, test, grow  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Learn, test, grow
« on: April 26, 2018, 11:01:15 PM »
I recently started playing around with tensing my lats and shoulders during shooting. I had some success but didn?t isolate it properly. The wrong shoulder muscles started tensing and this changed my grip/hand position, which changed my trigger pull.

The failed testing took some practice to undo... took two quick range trips this week and got things coming back.

Better groups at 25 yards, two hand, standing were coming in at about 3.5?. But trip number one was bad groups like the first picture.

Slow fire, longer range shooting is the hardest for me. My mind thinks too much. When I?m going fast everything is clear and I have one job; see the sight on the target as the shot is fired. My grip stays strong and constant and my mind feels clear. So, my goal is to make sure that I can pick up any of my pistols and hit what I am aiming at, no matter the distance ? with as many consecutive shots as desired ( no grip reset).

Here?s two 5 round mags shot at 25 yards, 2 hands, standing. I pushed left. I didn?t reset my grip during each string. My SP-01 hits that high if I aim at the center of the target, so I just had the pushing going on.

This weekend I?m going to crank out 1k rounds or so and get to it again next week.

PS - The center black 9 circle is 2.6? across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Learn, test, grow
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 12:03:59 AM »
Very good!
What sights are you using?  Stock?  Other?   Or  NOYB. ???

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 01:15:23 AM »
Very good!
What sights are you using?  Stock?  Other?   Or  NOYB. ???

Why thank you kind sir! I was actually kind of embarrassed to post the pictures because I felt like I was doing so poorly....

Ha, just stock sights. I flipped around the rear sight though. The two rear tritium dots were too distracting for me. I?m used to the big front tritium dot now... My other CZ?s have the CGW fiber fronts, which I like a lot more.

Offline TNman

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »
I'm no pro by any means, but you seem to be pushing g the trigger when you pull. That would account for shots hitting wide left. Not being critical. I had a very similar issue until I gained more trigger control.

5 shots @ #7 @ 7 yards

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IDPA   |   USPSA  |   NRA

CZ PCR   |   RAMI BD   |   Shadow 2   |   P-10 C   |   CZ 75B Omega   |   CZ 97 BD

Sig P320 Comp. & Full & X-Carry
Sig P226 Legion
Springfield XDS Mod 2 45

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 04:00:44 PM »
I'm no pro by any means, but you seem to be pushing g the trigger when you pull. That would account for shots hitting wide left. Not being critical. I had a very similar issue until I gained more trigger control.

5 shots @ #7 @ 7 yards

You're correct, I am pushing the trigger. I have continued to dry fire to refine and see what is going on. In slow fire I have a tendency to loosen my strong hand grip at the final moment of pulling the trigger. I don't see or hold through the shot. That moment seems to change my trigger pull and introduce the push.

Not only have I focused on holding steady through the shot, but I adjusted my strong hand grip a little. My theory is that I was pushing left and my trigger finger may have been following the grip pattern of my other fingers. So I tried gripping with a little more pressure with finger tips around the front and side of the pistol grip. Most of my front to back pressure was coming from my Intermediate phalange. I think I was trying to avoid gripping the pistol all the way around and lost some of the pressure I needed from my finger tips (Distal phalange). When I did apply a little more pressure with my finger tips it seemed to reign in my trigger finger as well. Pushing has stopped. Once I get some ammo loaded up this weekend I will run over to the range and keep working live fire improvement.

Offline TNman

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 04:33:48 PM »
Sounds like you have a HANDle on it Placing your finger on the front of the trigger guard rarely helps and may often cause a person to pull the barrel down. I'm sure you will find what works best for you. Nothing happens overnight. Best!

IDPA   |   USPSA  |   NRA

CZ PCR   |   RAMI BD   |   Shadow 2   |   P-10 C   |   CZ 75B Omega   |   CZ 97 BD

Sig P320 Comp. & Full & X-Carry
Sig P226 Legion
Springfield XDS Mod 2 45

Offline inletman

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 09:20:06 PM »
a professional shooter gave me a tip which has helped....said my grip was perfect, but often anticipating the shot and jerking trigger. he said pull trigger slowly and steadily (we all know that)....and imagine that a rod is attached to the trigger, and as I pulled the trigger the rod comes out of back of gun until it touches my nose....of course the shot breaks before the rod touches my nose. Imagining the rod coming out back of gun keeps me steady

Offline 9mmCZ

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »
Mine is tighter but more vertical. Have to work on elevation

Offline regular_guy

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 12:25:09 AM »
Very nice!

Something else to consider for achieving tighter / more consistent groups- grip strength.

I used to ascribe to the idea that grouping to the left/right was attributed to too much or too little finger on the trigger. That is, until I started watching and training with top competition shooters. If you watch guys like Leatham, Stoeger, et al., most of the time they are slapping the trigger, and are not so concerned with finger placement. The reason why, is that they grip the gun harder with their support hand than most shooters. Ben Stoeger even mentions breaking the skin on his firing hand because his support hand grip is so tight.

Personally, my shooting improved substantially after incorporating Captains of Crush grippers into my practice. Just my .02. Great job!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 04:43:03 AM »
Nifty, thanks for sharing!  8)

anything