Author Topic: RAMI Fiber optic sight works  (Read 4594 times)

Offline akspotmom

RAMI Fiber optic sight works
« on: April 28, 2018, 05:23:45 PM »
I just purchased the (most likely) Dawson fiber optic front sight for the RAMI from Cajun Gun Works. I came on here to see if there were any tips on getting the old tritium sight off (without destroying it) and putting on the new one.

All of the posts were somewhat old and told horror stories of heat and oil and beating. I wasn't feeling too good about the process, but we had a nice sight pusher and decided to try it just cold turkey, no oil, heat or ice.

The sight had 2 stake marks, but it came off without even a peep of resistance! The new fiber optic had a bit of a too wide dovetail so we filed a bit off the front per the instructions, then when it would barely start into the groove it went back in the pusher with a bit of plastic shim to block the side of the slide so it wouldn't sit right on the rail.

Sight went back in easy as could be. I think fiddling with the pusher remembering how to use it took longer than changing the sight. 5 minutes? I went out and put 30 rounds through it with 2 different loads to check center. It will take some getting used to the narrower post, but it sure was bright and easy for these old eyes to see. It will be a bit before I know if it is tight enough, but it should be. Didn't put any locktite on it.

On a side note, people talk about the numbers on the bottom of the front sight, 2 or 3, etc. Mine only has an X on it. Any one know what that stands for? It is the stock Tritium that comes with the RAMI BD.

Pushed off old sight

Starting fiber optic sight

Fiber optic sight on with just a few twists of the allen wrench.

The sight hangs over a bit, hopefully doesn't get caught on stuff.

The sight tool I have is no longer available, but this looks like the same thing
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713R9CRX/ref=dp_prsubs_3

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:58:58 PM by akspotmom, Reason: Added photos and product link »

Offline TNman

Re: RAMI Fiber optic sight works
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:26:56 PM »
I commend you on the installation and appreciate the good tips. I just can't imagine the protruding sight won't snag on anything. I wish you luck!
IDPA   |   USPSA  |   NRA

CZ PCR   |   RAMI BD   |   Shadow 2   |   P-10 C   |   CZ 75B Omega   |   CZ 97 BD

Sig P320 Comp. & Full & X-Carry
Sig P226 Legion
Springfield XDS Mod 2 45

Offline mecenas

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 11:04:49 AM »
I also have a front fiber optic sight on my Rami BD purchased directly from Dawson and it fits flush with the front of the slide.

Please check if this is a correct sight. It should never protrude from the front of the slide.

Offline mecenas

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 11:06:29 AM »
The sight on your photos does not look at all like a Dawson sight. Perhaps Cajun has their own.

Offline akspotmom

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »
I also have a front fiber optic sight on my Rami BD purchased directly from Dawson and it fits flush with the front of the slide.

Please check if this is a correct sight. It should never protrude from the front of the slide.

I will have to check. It was marketed for the RAMI, but it does stick out. So far it does not catch on anything drawing or holstering. Sure is nice to be able to see the sight finally.

Offline akspotmom

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 05:27:56 PM »
Just an update to this sight.....

After just over a year the front blew right off of it! I could still use it looking through the remaining hole and eventually put a little stub of fiber optic in it, but the front is completely gone. I wonder if there are any other fiber optics available yet? Time to search again.

Offline mecenas

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 10:35:29 AM »
The sight blew off because it was protruding from the front of the slide and directly in the way of the hottest spread of gases coming from the muzzle. Try Dawson directly - they have a set-up for RAMI

Offline Stuart

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »
We've offered a FO front for a couple of years.

Offline akspotmom

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 08:07:35 PM »
That looks pretty much like what I had from that view. Dawson has one that should be a better fit that I am going to get I guess. It will be a hair taller and wider, and maybe not so long.

Offline charlestheforth

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 01:26:58 AM »
I purchased a dawson sight from cajun gunworks and after filing and fitting the sight it was obviously the wrong sight.  I contacted dawson directly and they sent me a sight with the correct dimensions after a few emails and talking to someone over there.

Never got my money back from cajun gunworks because they said I filed the sight already... (but they sent me the wrong sight).  Still kind of bitter from that whole exchange tbh...

Offline C. Andrew Dunning

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 03:28:29 PM »
I contacted dawson directly and they sent me a sight with the correct dimensions after a few emails and talking to someone over there.

I put a Dawson on mine a couple of years ago and have been quite happy.  FWIW...while CGW and CZC both offer similar sights, I went w. the DP so I could adjust the POI.

anything