Author Topic: CZ P-01 vs Sig 229 Legion  (Read 12072 times)

Offline Vinny

Re: CZ P-01 vs Sig 229 Legion
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2018, 11:27:14 AM »
I can carry a revolver today, a safety model like a 75B or 1911 tomorrow and a decocker the next and it doesn't interfere with my mind set in the least.I always know what I'm carrying and how it works.

You're a better man than I am.

I prefer the K.I.S.S. method of keeping all my defensive guns the same manual of arms.  Everything hammer down, chambered and ready 1st round DA, no safety to manipulate. DA revolver or DA semi, training is basically the same.  But, that's just me. 

We are blessed with choices, and ability to train, feel confident and carry whatever works for each of us.

Before we drift into a discussion of 9mm vs 40 S&W vs 45ACP...... ::)

OP asks P-01 or Sig 229 Legion?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:48:50 AM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »
I don't think the caliber debate has been brought up here,it's not really relevant to the discussion,not really a valid debate anymore. Proper shot placement trumps caliber size just about every time.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 07:16:19 PM »
I don't think the caliber debate has been brought up here,it's not really relevant to the discussion,not really a valid debate anymore. Proper shot placement trumps caliber size just about every time.
I was just kidding about the caliber debate.
I'm sorry you don't get my sense of humor. Always difficult to convey humor on internet media.
My point was....let's get back to the OP's subject: P-01 vs Sig 229 Legion.
"Carpe Diem"

Offline eastman

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2018, 08:32:39 PM »
let's do a fair comparison at the same price point - CZ-Custom P-01 SDP vs SIG 229 Legion

otherwise it becomes "the $1500 pistol is better than the $600 one"
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2018, 06:17:53 AM »
I was just kidding about the caliber debate.
I'm sorry you don't get my sense of humor. Always difficult to convey humor on internet media.
My point was....let's get back to the OP's subject: P-01 vs Sig 229 Legion.

I got your humor. My first thought was to post how I wouldn't waste my time in a 9mm,.40,.45 debate because they are all sissymatic cartridges and the .357 mag is superior.  O0

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2018, 07:18:11 AM »
Hah!  My first handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 magnum.  I was so proud of that thing.  Took it home, my father-in-law took one look at it and told me it was a sissy gun (not the word he used).  He told me to take it to town and trade it in on a .44 magnum.  I couldn't afford the ammo.  Traded it in on a Ruger .22 Single Six, I could afford the ammo for that.

While I agree bullet placement is important, the damage the bullet does is also important.  Overkill works. 
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline rhart

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2018, 09:22:26 AM »
let's do a fair comparison at the same price point - CZ-Custom P-01 SDP vs SIG 229 Legion

otherwise it becomes "the $1500 pistol is better than the $600 one"

I agree - makes more sense and is much more fair!
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline TheFlood

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 04:17:00 PM »
THe P-01 is nice but that 229 Legion is NICER!  I found one for under 1k and almost bough it on the spot.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »
But you didn't????

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline TheFlood

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 06:43:11 PM »
But you didn't????

RCG

Yeah they woman wanted the Wal PPQ M2 as her first gun so I bought her that.  Had to earn those BF points. Man did they pay off! I'm still sore lol  ;D

Offline sirgilligan

• Gun Log SPC
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2018, 04:14:19 PM »
For the longest time I have hots for the Sig 229 Legion. Today I almost pulled the trigger on that one, when (last minute) I noticed something interesting. P229 is supposed to be compact/carry gun. It has aluminum frame, and it weights 34.4 Oz or 975 gr.
I have P-01 all steel (99041) that weights 32.4 Oz or 918 gr, and is considered heavy gun (comparing to my PCR or HK P30sk).
I do carry (from time to time) that 99041, but you can feel the weight.
Am I going to spend double the money on Sig, comparing what I payed for P-01, and have it sit next to my P-01 while most of the time I carry PCR and HK ? Yes, I understand - it's Sig, yes I understand - it has great trigger, but I also understand what is all steel gun, with the great trigger now that I have # 13 spring in it, and it shoots like Tasmanian Devil.
I am not sure that heavier aluminum frame gun, even if it's called Sig, could justify double the price of this all steel Tasmanian Devil.
I am glad I didn't go for it, and this will make me appreciate more what I have at home.

I have owned three Sigs. P238, P229, and SIG-556.

Now, I have no Sigs.

The P238 was returned and I bought a P229.
The P229 was traded for a Browning Hi-Power.
I went back and bought the other Browning Hi-Power that was on the shelf.
The SIG-556 was traded for a SCAR 16.
I guess it was a FN thang... ;-)

I still have all of those.

The research I did on the BHP's led me to articles about the CZ 75B.

I found an 85B used, and bought it.
I bought for my 1st son a CZ 75B.
I helped my son-in-law locate a CZ 75 Compact.
Bought 2nd son a CZ 75 Compact.
Bought a CZ 527 to go with the SCAR
Bought a CZ 75 Compact and CZ SP-01

Looking to buy two more compacts so that I can put the BHP's up so that they can keep looking pretty.

There is no temptation currently with SIG. They may make something in the future, maybe a 210 variant...

Offline Erratikmind

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2018, 10:12:38 AM »
I own 7 SIGs. Three of them are Legions . . . P226 SAO, P220 SAO, and a P229. I enjoy them all. However, after installing a CGW?s Pro Kit and a few extra goodies on my CZ 75 SP-01, I am completely amazed at how one can elevate a CZ firearm.

Currently, I am waiting for a lifter spring to arrive and I will finish Cajunizing my CZ RAMI BD.

Next, I have plans on Cajunizing a CZ 75 compact. For the same monies, I know that I can modify a CZ 75 compact to perform better than my P229 SAS and Legion.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »
I own 7 SIGs. Three of them are Legions . . . P226 SAO, P220 SAO, and a P229. I enjoy them all. However, after installing a CGW?s Pro Kit and a few extra goodies on my CZ 75 SP-01, I am completely amazed at how one can elevate a CZ firearm.

Currently, I am waiting for a lifter spring to arrive and I will finish Cajunizing my CZ RAMI BD.

Next, I have plans on Cajunizing a CZ 75 compact. For the same monies, I know that I can modify a CZ 75 compact to perform better than my P229 SAS and Legion.
I have both as well and tend to agree.

Only unique advantage is the P-229 LEGION RX that comes all set up with Romeo 1 Red Dot and perfectly matched X-Ray 3 BUIS. IMHO it's the best FACTORY-READY Carry-Optic handgun I know of (besides the P320 RX & P226 RX).
I realize this may not be important (yet) to many; but I believe it's the future as RDS on handguns will become as commonplace as scopes on rifles. Just look at the number of top competitors in shooting sports that use RDS. Once you get past the learning curve; they're simply faster and more accurate. Period.
I've set up many of my CZ's with Red Dots but it still requires a lot of hit-or-miss (pardon the pun) experimentation to get the BUIS to work correctly with the optic. If/when CZ offers carry-optic ready pistols with factory matched RDS and BUIS; then the playing field would be more level. JMO
"Carpe Diem"

Offline larry8061

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2018, 06:23:29 PM »

What he said!  I am going to post my recent experience on the SP-01 part of the forum but I certainly concur.  To say nothing of would I prefer dealing with Sig or Cajun......yeh that's a no-brainer.......

Offline Shadow knows

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2018, 08:46:34 PM »
Parameters slightly different than OP. I have a German 229, legion 226 SAO, P-01,shadow line compact and shadow 2.

I love the sights, grips, trigger and SAO of my Legion.  Dislike finish and I could never get the mag to slam load a round.  Always had to insert mag then cup over and rack slide.  Slide release was an issue also. I would carry it owb in the winter from time to time but I finally got my p-01 and everything changed.

Started carrying it more, then got a shadow line compact from custom and wow.  Carry that now. 

I compare the p-01to my German 226. Both need stuff.  I compare the compact shadow line to my 226 legion, just great out of the box. 

I eventually quit racing the 226 and got a shadow 2 cajunized, cut my time down instant..

What it really boils down to is you hit $1000 on sig or CZ your getting some pretty darn good gear. The choice is yours on what fits you best.   My mechanics point me to CZ more.

You are a winner either way.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:21:29 AM by Shadow knows »