Author Topic: Blazer brass ?  (Read 1684 times)

Offline jimny

Blazer brass ?
« on: May 15, 2018, 03:54:16 PM »
 Once fired 9 mm Blazer brass won't take primers consistently on my Hornady lock n load ammo plant. Out of 39 pieces of brass 8 did not seat primers and leaked powder. I switched to R-P brass and ran 300 with no problems. The primers are S & B small pistol. What's the difference?

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: Blazer brass ?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 09:18:00 PM »
I have not had issues with Blazer or Speer brass, but I don't use S&B primers either.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Moken

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 09:37:36 PM »
Never had issues with Blazer brass. I've used only CCI and Winchester primers.

Offline snakeye

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:50:12 PM »
I have primed thousands of 9mm cases with S&B primers and loaded with several different powders and have never had an issue with Blazer Brass.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 12:45:10 AM »
Ditto on no issues but also ditto on CCI and Win primers.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline kmw1954

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 12:50:24 AM »
I've got 9mm Blazer brass that has been loaded 3 or 4 times with S&B primers all done on a cheap Lee Pro 1000 w/o problems.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 06:19:45 AM »
Only issue I've had with Blazer brass is the original primers wanting to stick to my dies decapping pin and be pulled back up (partially) into the primer pocket when the brass/shell holder drop back down out of the die.

No way to measure the force required to pull that spent primer off the decapping pin but the spent primer goes far enough up into the primer pocket to get stuck and require a second trip into/out of the resizing die to knock the primer loose from the pocket.

Not sure if the issue is the pocket is somewhat loose (to allow the primer to move so far back up into it) or the spent primer sticks on the decapping pin so well that it's just that hard to remove it, resulting in the distance into the pocket the spent primer has to be pulled to knock it loose from the pin.

As someone here suggested, I ground a flat spot on one edge of the pin and it helped a lot (not 100%, but much better.)

But allowing powder to fall out while the primer is still inserted in the pocket????  Can't quite see how that is happening.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 07:54:38 AM »
Once fired 9 mm Blazer brass won't take primers consistently on my Hornady lock n load ammo plant. Out of 39 pieces of brass 8 did not seat primers and leaked powder. I switched to R-P brass and ran 300 with no problems. The primers are S & B small pistol. What's the difference?

I've loaded many thousands of Blazer brass with S&B primers with no problems at all - all using the press you are using.  I bought 20+ thousand of those primers when Cabelas had them for dirt cheap.

Please define "did not seat primers and leaked powder".  No primer in the case?  Primer partially inserted (then the shell plate wouldn't/shouldn't turn),  It felt like a primer went in but there wasn't one there?

To me I'm guessing you are having a primer feed issue and the primer never was there to be inserted.

Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline jimny

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 09:50:01 PM »
Dan nailed it- no primer in the case even though it felt like one seated.

A primer halfway seated would not let the shell plate advance.

Why no feed issue with R-P should have been the question, but that's not a problem.

With no change other than the brass, Blazer is off my list of good brass.

Thanks, Jim

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 10:01:06 PM »
On my LnL, occasionally I'll have a primer that won't seat, almost feels like a crimped primer pocket. Several times I've noticed it was Blazer. When I feel resistance, I rotate the case slightly and it seats just fine. I've been working through a large stockpile of S&B primers as well.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 04:33:13 AM »
I've loaded many thousand rounds of Blazer brass and never had an issue. I only use the common American brand primers,Remington,Federal,CCI and Winchester. Seems to me every time some one posts about a priming issue it involves a progressive press.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:36:30 AM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 10:14:59 AM »
While Blazer brass loads okay on my Turret Press,  it's a very soft case.   I prefer the firm solid feel Win and R&P provide.  With Blazer & CCI I have to back off on the bullet seating die substantially to get the same seating depth,  so
I don't use them because I don't need them.  Seating primers is no different than my other case headstamps.
  The only case where more primer seating care is needed is with PPU brass.  Good stout brass but needs more force and care to seat Fed primers properly.

Moken

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 02:47:50 PM »
The only problems I've ever had with pistol brass is a box of new 9mm I ordered from Everglades Ammo. It has their headstamp and darn tight primer pockets. I just run the Hornady pocket reamer through them and we're golden.

anything