Author Topic: Shell sorter  (Read 309 times)

Offline swede69

Shell sorter
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
These are the way to go. I know they are a little pricey but what a time saver if you pick up brass. It gets those pesky.380s sorted out if buy the extra metal grate. This is a quality product. Spend the money and save your time.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: Shell sorter
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »
Thanks for that. Now would you care to modify your post, and add an official product name and possibly a link to its web page so that we can all see what it is you're talking about ?

Thanks.
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 03:06:58 PM »
assuming he is talking about the standard 3 bin sorters plus adding the 380 plate. https://www.amazon.com/Shell-Sorter-380-plate/dp/B01C66560O
, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Offline tdogg

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 04:24:42 PM »
I have and use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Shell-Sorter-380ACP-3pc-set/dp/B00BFN5TTI/ref=pd_day0_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BFN5TTI&pd_rd_r=D7KAWE19EKHG7Z84PA08&pd_rd_w=rVESS&pd_rd_wg=aLRzv&psc=1&refRID=D7KAWE19EKHG7Z84PA08

It works but is still time consuming.

I really need to employ my built in slave labor, I mean, children to sort my range brass.  I can just pay them in cookies or soda and they would be estatic.  But then it would backfire and they wouldn't leave me alone when I need a "break" and go try to hide in the reloading lab.  It would turn into a pester dad until he finds something for them to do so they can get a treat.

Cheers,
Toby

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »
 I sort as I pick them up.  I washed, sized and deprimed about 350 9mm Win cases this afternoon. Tomorrow I'll do the R&P and FCs.  I do pick up a few 40 cal for a shooter friend,  and I do accidentally pick up a few 380s. Even if they make it to sizing and depriming no harm done.
  Other shooter friends pick up ANY shiny brass except mine with a red band 1/4" above the base.  They need a shell sorter or children with a sweet tooth. :)

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 07:28:07 PM »
I LOVE mine,its a Dillon but others make them. Midway USA has them and as stated above Amazon also. Man they love that 380 seperator,,,$26 bucks,, :o Anyways these little tools rate up there with Meida seperators in my book,,a "must" have item.

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:56:42 PM »
I have them, but don't like them, and they're just gathering dust in my shop.  I buy all the brass from our local club, so I'm sorting numerous buckets of brass at a time.  The three tub sorter is just too slow for my needs, since they don't hold much brass, and the aluminum ".380 sorter" was a waste of money.  The .380's are caught in the bottom tub, at least on mine.

I bought the Berry's Brass Sorter/Media Sifter, and have been using that the last couple of years.  It's faster for me, but I still end up putting the brass in a large cake pan to do the final sorting.  Here's the link to the Berry's:  https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/rotary-brass-sorter

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 04:26:05 PM »
I use the method described in the video in the quote below.  I wouldn't use anything else.

And when you're sorting that valuable pistol brass that non-reloaders have left behind at the range, here's a nifty trick that will help you sort quite a bit faster than checking one case at a time:

It works as advertised.   ;)

Moderator Comments:
If you are loading a case feeder, then this method not only helps you sort brass quickly, but also can help you count brass quickly too !

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 09:15:30 PM »
Using the case block would takes weeks for me to get through the brass I sort.  This last batch was 8 five gallon buckets of mixed rifle and handgun brass.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 09:55:00 PM »
I hate shooting indoors and getting 380 mixed with my 9.

anything