Author Topic: New Carbine being sent back under warranty - slide won't stay open on last round  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Dan_69GTX

Received my CZ Scorpion Carbine Custom with brake from CZ Custom.  AWESOME trigger.  Also had them install their right hand safety.  I got it right before a get-together where 15 or so folks spent the day shooting.  Did a lot of gun swapping and everyone loved the Scorpion.  I noticed that sometimes the slide/bolt wouldn't stay back.

So, after I got home I tried it again.  Slide/Bolt will stay back if you carefully cycle it (with an empty mag inserted), but as soon as you drop the magazine the slide closes. 

Anyone have the same problem?

Called Stuart at CZ and sent him a video of what it was doing.  He said nothing they touched should have caused that and to contact CZ for warranty.  Using the website I did that - sending pics and the video.  CZ said yea, send it in and I had a Fedex label to send it back in 1 day. (that was fast!).

So, now CZ-USA has it and hopefully this issue will be resolved and nothing that CZ-Custom did will be affected.....sigh....now I'm going into withdrawal!   :'(
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline moose97

1) Slide? Um, okay
2) You sent it in with mods? Um, okay. Hope you'll be fine with getting them back uninstalled and in a baggie. Or not at all. ALWAYS send in a gun for warranty work in stock configuration. The OEM has ZERO obligation to either fix or return modified firearm parts.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:54:04 AM by moose97 »

Offline Dan_69GTX

What do you mean by:
  "1) Slide? Um, okay"

Regarding point 2.... I think if Stuart at CZ Customs was concerned about that he wouldn't have told me to send it in under warranty.  Since he isn't worried about it neither am I.

Besides, I don't have any of the "factory" parts since I bought it from CZ Customs as a completed firearm.

Now back to my question.....are you aware of anyone having the same problem I had or am I just lucky?

Offline OpusXJ

The edge of the bolt hold open is probably rounded over from improper heat treat.

Don't be surprised if CZ-USA returns your gun to stock with aftermarket trigger parts in a zip-lock bag.

Offline Dan_69GTX

The edge of the bolt hold open is probably rounded over from improper heat treat.

Don't be surprised if CZ-USA returns your gun to stock with aftermarket trigger parts in a zip-lock bag.

The edge did look rounded - guess it is supposed to be squared - hopefully an easy fix and to replace the damaged slide release.

If they send the gun back with the parts in a bag - at least the gun should be fixed.  Then I'll deal with getting the stuff put back together properly.

Thanks

Offline hyrysc

What do you mean by:
  "1) Slide? Um, okay"

A slide is a reference to the top part of a semi-automatic handgun.  Your Evo has a bolt, not a slide.

Offline Dan_69GTX

What do you mean by:
  "1) Slide? Um, okay"

A slide is a reference to the top part of a semi-automatic handgun.  Your Evo has a bolt, not a slide.

True - but CZ calls it a "slide"  which is why I referenced it as a slide/bolt.  Couldn't do that in the title due to limited characters.

Thanks.  I guess I didn't catch that was his reference.  I probably need more caffeine.

I wonder if the naming convention has something to do with the part of the world it was made....Kinda like Brits call a car hood a bonnet, etc.

Offline Earl Keese

Mine locks back fine, I hope you get all your CZC parts back. That fcg isn't cheap.

Offline Dan_69GTX

Earl,

Glad to hear yours works fine!  Hopefully all will taken care of and I can the use this in PCC steel shoots.

I'm figuring they will not destroy what CZC did.  If CZ-USA normally did mess things up I don't think Stuart would have said to send it to CZ-USA but rather they (CZ Custom) would have dealt with it.

If they do mess stuff up....oh well.... nothing I could have done differently anyhow.

I'll fill in what happened when I get the gun back.

Offline Earl Keese

Earl,

Glad to hear yours works fine!  Hopefully all will taken care of and I can the use this in PCC steel shoots.

I'm figuring they will not destroy what CZC did.  If CZ-USA normally did mess things up I don't think Stuart would have said to send it to CZ-USA but rather they (CZ Custom) would have dealt with it.

If they do mess stuff up....oh well.... nothing I could have done differently anyhow.

I'll fill in what happened when I get the gun back.
I've been shooting mine in my club's PCC matches this year. My trigger job should be close to what CZC does with theirs and I've been competitive with it. AR9's may be a little faster but the Scorpion has run very consistently in comparison. After each match, there's always somebody that wants to try it out. Hands down, the most fun gun that I own. I think you'll be pleased. The only issue I've had is occasionally the timer won't pick up shots.

Offline Dan_69GTX

Where I shoot 2 guys have one and use it in the "super steel" match - mostly falling and some moving steel (texas stars, propellers, etc).

I tried one and .....well....then NEEDED one.

Hopefully after this, it will run flawlessly.  I had to get it fixed since not having the bolt stay back will easily add 1 second to the time with 1-2 mag changes.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Dan

Offline biggerhammer

Dan, where you using factory CZ magazines during the malfunctions?

Offline Dan_69GTX

Dan, where you using factory CZ magazines during the malfunctions?

Yes I was.  Was using the 30 and 20 round mags.  Had about 1000 rounds through it

Here are some pics I took of the bolt - from other pics I have seen on the web,  my bolt's edges are rounded compared to them.
And you can see where the slide release is buggered.

Offline biggerhammer

That last shot hold open lever looks trashed. Both of mine with several hundred rounds thru them still look nice a square on the corners and edges.

Offline Dan_69GTX

Got my gun back today.  CZ said they "Replaced damaged bolt stop" and that to make sure the mags are not worn.

All aftermarket parts are still there.

Now to get home and test it......in the rain  >:(

anything