Author Topic: .45 Semi Wadcutter Loading Question  (Read 1971 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
.45 Semi Wadcutter Loading Question
« on: May 27, 2018, 01:40:37 AM »
Another thread thread here has been advising a new reloader about loading the SWC bullet with a small short nose to get reliable feeding.

Coincidentally,  I guy I shoot with is having the same exact problem with his 1911-type .45 .  His "new" coated lead (Blue) bullet has a very small diameter short nose.  For two matches he's had  2-3 FTFeed per mag.  He switches to RN and it runs great.

Testing them by hand,  they seem to feed and extract with no problem.  When he shoots,  the problems start right away.

Very little of the bullet shoulder is above the case mouth. Would adding a few thousandths to the OAL bring the square shoulder of the bullet out a little more likely to help the feed?  >002"/.003"more?

Appreciate the advice to pass on.

Offline IDescribe

Re: .45 Semi Wadcutter Loading Question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:27:39 AM »
Sure, maybe.  Time to tinker.  I'd make ten loads each at different OALs, increasing .010 per batch, and maybe do a push test to determine max OAL so as not to exceed that.

And maybe try some HG68 from another source, maybe ACME, if he can't find a workable OAL, then the next step is to beg for help online at a 1911 forum.  :)

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »
I have found when loading 200 gr. SWC's for my CZ 97 that the shoulder needs to be about .035" to .042" above the case plus a very light taper crimp. Anything shorter will hang up on the case lip and much longer will hang up in the magazine.  Ammo that runs well in my Colt 1911 won't chamber in the CZ or even fit in the magazine. The shorter OAL ammo for my CZ also works great in my Colt and Sig pistols.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »
I have loaded the 200 grain LSWC for .45's quite a few times over the years.  My two Colt 1911's, my SA 1911 and my Para Ordnance P14 fed them fine.  My nephew's SA XD in .45 acp would feed them fine, too.

When I got my youngest son a really sweet (used) Colt Series 70 it would do that failure to feed thing where the nose of the bullet would get hung up at the top of the chamber.  I set the bullet seater higher, to make the cartridge over all length longer and the Series 70 would eat them like candy.  No issues in my other .45 acp pistols either.  However that pesky XD .45 acp would not chamber them.  The extra lead sticking out of the case mouth would hit the barrel metal there just past the case mouth.

Fixed one, lost another one.  I keep the LSWC's for my own use, these days.

One the other hand, my Colt Combat Commander will feed empty cases out of the magazine into the chamber, one after another.  Different pistols...are different.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Online Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 03:17:15 PM »
? It's the same we've already been talking about in other threads. The SWC shoulder has to be out in front of the case mouth 0.020 to 0.040". Different guns use different distances, so some experimentation is required.

This distance is required becasue the SWC cartridge comes out of the mag, and the shoulder is what strikes the top of the chamber or hood. Then the cartridge gets knocked back down and in. Unlike other bullet shapes, the nose of the SWC bullet is really not involved in any of the feeding functions.

? On the 1911 guns in 45ACP, if varying the shoulder exposure length doesn't bring a quick cure, then you need better mags. Cheap 1911's simply come with cheap mags. We don't have to worry about that with our CZ's becasue they come with Mecgar mags, which are some of the very best. Remember that RN are always easy to feed; the worst case feed test of a mag is cartridges loaded with SWC.

You don't need to buy $50 mags. Get the Metalform mags here. They are the OEM mag maker for Colt Industrieshttps://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 08:20:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I've passed on the non-specific info.  I may send him a link to this thread to consider.

Offline cdhbrad

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 03:39:30 PM »
I only load SWC bullets in .45ACP and it is very difficult to accurately measure the amount of the "shoulder" of the bullet that is exposed from the case mouth.  I use the length from the base of the bullet to the shoulder or the "Shoulder Height" in the diagram.  For all my .45ACP guns, including 5 1911s and my CZ 97BE, a measurement of between .935-.940 will work for me.  I use Range "Pick Up" brass so the difference in the thickness of the bases of the cases will give a slightly different measurement from round to round.     

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 11:33:48 PM »
I use Range "Pick Up" brass so the difference in the thickness of the bases of the cases will give a slightly different measurement from round to round.

Yes sir.  :)

Online Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 03:44:41 PM »
Here's a aftermarket seating stem the same as I was talking about....

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1561

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline REAinPA

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 01:06:44 PM »
? It's the same we've already been talking about in other threads. The SWC shoulder has to be out in front of the case mouth 0.020 to 0.040". Different guns use different distances, so some experimentation is required.

This distance is required becasue the SWC cartridge comes out of the mag, and the shoulder is what strikes the top of the chamber or hood. Then the cartridge gets knocked back down and in. Unlike other bullet shapes, the nose of the SWC bullet is really not involved in any of the feeding functions.

? On the 1911 guns in 45ACP, if varying the shoulder exposure length doesn't bring a quick cure, then you need better mags. Cheap 1911's simply come with cheap mags. We don't have to worry about that with our CZ's becasue they come with Mecgar mags, which are some of the very best. Remember that RN are always easy to feed; the worst case feed test of a mag is cartridges loaded with SWC.

You don't need to buy $50 mags. Get the Metalform mags here. They are the OEM mag maker for Colt Industrieshttps://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html

;)

This is great information, maybe we could get it tacked.