Author Topic: Do you count your shots ?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Chicago Dude

Do you count your shots ?
« on: June 01, 2018, 04:17:22 PM »
This maybe silly question, but I am sure your answers/input will be valuable for average Joe like me  ;)

When you are at the range, do you just shoot the heck of your gun, or you count your shots ?
Here is my thinking :
Maybe if I start counting my shots at the range, this will become second nature down the line, and if one ever gets (God forbid) in some kind of shootout, knowing in your head how many bullets you have left is always helpful ?

Offline wpp

Re: Do you count your shots ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 05:26:13 PM »
yes I know how many rds I fired and how many are on that target, I generally take my cell phone and snap apicture of each target. not sure why I started this but it stuck with me. 8)

Online recoilguy

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:26:45 PM »
I always count my shots, I can't think of a reason not to.
I shot USPSA Production some of the time, so I always have to be aware of where I am in comparison to 11.
Counting your shots is not necessary nor is it any type of requirement or prerequisite to good shooting.
It just makes sense to me. You then also need to know how many rounds are in your mags so you need to count the bullets in as well.

One of the funniest things I see at the range is a guy or gal at slide lock pulling the trigger and watching the gun jerk because it is so much more apparent when it doesn't go bang. I am not sure why I think that's funny but it makes me laugh every time.

You are correct knowing how many bullets you have left is never a bad thing and in cerian situations it is a very valuable bit of info to know.

RCG

........Its that you shoot!

Offline eastman

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »
I make sure to count with autoloading .22LR firearms that don't lock open on an empty mag. That way I can avoid a questionable click (click because the round didn't fire or click on empty).
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline John A.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 07:42:11 PM »
I stopped doing that 39 years ago when I graduated from revolvers to guns that lock open when empty all by themselves.  If it's not locked back, I know there's still some bullets left in there somewhere.   ;D
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 07:58:33 PM »
At the range or in competition,  I know how many cartridges are in each magazine.  With targets,  I know how many shots are required for each target.  That tells me "when I'll  need to change mags".  Unless I'm clearing the gun,  I change mags before Ihey  run dry.  That gives me a full mag + 1 in the chamber.   Etc.  Etc.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 12:02:16 AM »
I know how many rounds are in the mag, then mentally keep track as in counting down to empty.

It sounds like this in my head's internal narrative:

PEW - 9 left
PEW PEW PEW - 6 left
PEW PEW - 4 left
PEW PEW PEW - 1 left
PEW - MAG CHANGE
PEW PEW PEW - 15 left
Etc.

I am always counting rounds to empty or mag change.

Offline nettle

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 12:34:17 AM »
I keep a round count on all my guns. Mileage so to speak. As far as normal range practice I do not count shots fired. No reason to. But if in a gunfight (heaven forbid) I'm pretty sure that that I would keep track.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 12:52:46 AM »
Something you do all the time becomes an ingrained practice.  In a panic situation,  all bets are off on what you "plan" to do.

Offline Criz

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »
How has this gone a whole day without a Dirty Harry Quote? Sad.  Just Sad!
I count but only because I keep track of Total rounds in my weapons. 
TBH I thought from the title you were asking if people kept track of points on target with each shot.
Yes, I do that too.
She was as shallow as a shot glass yet less intoxicating
Army - 67N Crewchief. 
Born a Righty but I switched at birth just to make life more interesting.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »
Something you do all the time becomes an ingrained practice.  In a panic situation,  all bets are off on what you "plan" to do.

My work is a block away from the Police shooting range.  I will hear them shooting and automatically count down for them in my head....

Offline Chicago Dude

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 08:03:52 PM »
Thanks for all of your valuable inputs.
As I thought - counting makes sense.
From now on - I will start counting my shots.

Offline rhart

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 09:07:29 PM »
The human mind can't effectively focus on two tasks at once - at least mine can't. Scientists say that we may think we are multi-tasking, but we really are switching focus back and forth between tasks.
Instead of counting rounds during a match, I rehearse in my mind where my reloads will be - in production that's generally after every four IPSC targets (8 rounds) or after 6-8 steel targets. If I have to shoot more than twice at a target, I know I have 3 rounds to account for that in my gun in production. This method frees my mind up to focus on my stage plan. I have at least 5 mags - 1 in the gun and 4 on my belt - which gives me plenty of buffer on most stages. In limited with 18 round mags, I usually reload after 8 two-shot targets. Better to reload early a time or two than to run dry and an extra mag helps in that regard.
As my IPSC/USPSA mentor told me, if you're moving between target arrays you need to be reloading.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline changemyoil66

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 05:02:16 AM »
I dont, because in a self defense situation, you wont be counting. Also i dont do 1R1 drills that much. But load 1-3 rds per mag and shuffle them. This way idk when to reload until you hear a click.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 07:41:47 AM »
The human mind can't effectively focus on two tasks at once - at least mine can't. Scientists say that we may think we are multi-tasking, but we really are switching focus back and forth between tasks.
Instead of counting rounds during a match, I rehearse in my mind where my reloads will be - in production that's generally after every four IPSC targets (8 rounds) or after 6-8 steel targets. If I have to shoot more than twice at a target, I know I have 3 rounds to account for that in my gun in production. This method frees my mind up to focus on my stage plan. I have at least 5 mags - 1 in the gun and 4 on my belt - which gives me plenty of buffer on most stages. In limited with 18 round mags, I usually reload after 8 two-shot targets. Better to reload early a time or two than to run dry and an extra mag helps in that regard.
As my IPSC/USPSA mentor told me, if you're moving between target arrays you need to be reloading.

The human mind under the influence of adrenalin can slow down time and process more information than you might think it can. 

anything