Author Topic: Do you count your shots ?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline rhart

Re: Do you count your shots ?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2018, 05:24:49 AM »
I  am a counter.

I think there's a twelve-step program for that. O0
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline Chicago Dude

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2018, 01:30:07 PM »
Very, very interesting inputs and thoughts on this subject.
More I read (and think about) more I am - for the counting shots.
I just don't see how it could hurt me. Especially I don't see how it could hurt me if it's a SECOND NATURE to me ?
If I start practicing counting every time I am at the range, who's to say I am NOT going to count in real life situation with high adrenaline running ? Bang one is Bang one. Bang two is bang two. Adrenaline or not.
Maybe I am wrong, but after all, this is just counting. It is NOT talking on the cell phone, it is NOT thinking of anything else. It's just counting. Distraction ? I am not sure. If I walk and chew on the gum am I distracted ? If I walk and chew gum am I going to stop chewing gum in high adrenaline situation ? Can I handle high adrenaline situation while chewing the gum in the same time ? What if I have to run and chew the gum ? Am I going to stop chewing ?
I see the point of reloading on the move, but what if I have half magazine left ? Why dump all that ammo ? And this is where counting come to place.
Again, we are talking just counting. We are not talking doing some mathematical equations while shooting in high stress situations.
I will definitely start counting at the  range, with this on my mind :
After thousands of the shots (counts) at the range, good chance is that in high stress situation I will not (all of a sudden) forget how to count.
Again - very interesting inputs.

Offline rhart

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 02:42:07 PM »
Very, very interesting inputs and thoughts on this subject.
More I read (and think about) more I am - for the counting shots.
I just don't see how it could hurt me. Especially I don't see how it could hurt me if it's a SECOND NATURE to me ?
If I start practicing counting every time I am at the range, who's to say I am NOT going to count in real life situation with high adrenaline running ? Bang one is Bang one. Bang two is bang two. Adrenaline or not.
Maybe I am wrong, but after all, this is just counting. It is NOT talking on the cell phone, it is NOT thinking of anything else. It's just counting. Distraction ? I am not sure. If I walk and chew on the gum am I distracted ? If I walk and chew gum am I going to stop chewing gum in high adrenaline situation ? Can I handle high adrenaline situation while chewing the gum in the same time ? What if I have to run and chew the gum ? Am I going to stop chewing ?
I see the point of reloading on the move, but what if I have half magazine left ? Why dump all that ammo ? And this is where counting come to place.
Again, we are talking just counting. We are not talking doing some mathematical equations while shooting in high stress situations.
I will definitely start counting at the  range, with this on my mind :
After thousands of the shots (counts) at the range, good chance is that in high stress situation I will not (all of a sudden) forget how to count.
Again - very interesting inputs.

As for chewing gum, I'd be willing to bet that most people would clench their jaw shut during an adrenaline rush of a fist fight or gun fight or their mouth would drop open to acquire more air (i.e. they stop chewing) because your primitive survival focused mind cuts off all actions  not necessary for immediate survival.
Dropping a mag at a certain point during a competition even if it's half full makes good strategic sense because, for instance, in Production Division you start with ten rounds in the mag and one in the chamber most of the time. Let's say the stage starts with an array of five steel targets and you hit all five with one shot each. This leaves you with six rounds in the gun. You run to the next array of four paper targets that require two rounds each, but you didn't drop that half-full mag and reload while you were moving. When you reach the array of paper targets you will have to perform a standing reload for the fourth target because you only have six shots when you need eight shots. Standing reloads waste time and time is very important in competition. After that array you have to move to the next array of four paper targets but now you only have eight rounds in your gun. If you miss or only get a D zone hit on one you will have to do another standing reload if you want to make that shot up. And so on. Now if you don't have enough mags for the stage, then by all means do the standing reload, otherwise it is smart to drop the half full mag. Like I said, I have five magazines for every competition gun I have so I can afford to drop a half-full mag at least once during a stage.
As far as hurting you - if you don't compete and all you do is range plinking, you're probably right. But if you compete, I suggest you read and maybe reread IDescribe's post. I don't think it's going to hurt you in a self defense scenario because I don't think your survival oriented primal mind will let you waste the mental power to count unless you are a well seasoned gunfighter.

Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

anything