Author Topic: best load/recipe for scorpion evo??  (Read 2659 times)

Offline I like pink

best load/recipe for scorpion evo??
« on: June 02, 2018, 11:11:36 AM »
Hi guys!

what?s the best recipe for the scorpion evo carbine?

i?m in kommifornia, so no suppressor  :-\

hubby made a bunch with 124 gr bullets but we couldn?t get as good a group as we did with 115 gr factory.

i?ve read several posts that use 147 subsonic loads.... but that they do that because of their suppressor.

i was going to buy some 115 gr and have him make those in varying loads.... but wanted to ask here first!

so what do you?all use?

thanx!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:31:36 AM by I like pink »
Girls just gotta have guns and ammo.... LOTS of ammo!

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: best load/recipe for scorpion evo??
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 05:20:26 PM »
The Search engine is your friend. Lots of Evo ammo info.

Try this one... http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=83713.0

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline I like pink

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 06:50:04 PM »
Thanx

but that thread didn?t address my question at all. i don?t want to buy factory bullets. i know she?ll shoot anything i put in her.  just not the close groups like i expect i should get.   what i want is the BEST hand load to get the best grouping like we do with each and every one of our other guns. the problem is we haven?t found a great hand load with the powder and bullets we have. i didn?t want to buy a ton of different powders if others have already been making and experimenting with different loads.

the best info i?ve found references 147 bullets with no specific powders, etc.  but they mention doing that because they shoot suppressed (like i said in my original post.)

as popular as this carbine is..... i hoped for some helpful and insightful posts.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 07:44:45 PM »
For the same reason you shouldn't trust some one else's reloads you should also not trust some one else's recipe. Pick powders and projectiles that you want to try and work from published data. If what you have now isn't working out try something else. What works in my gun may not perform as well in your gun. Work from starting loads up the ladder till you hit something that performs as you want it to. That is what hand loading is all about. You do the work and reward yourself with high performance home grown ammo. Otherwise you try factory loaded ammo till you find what works best for you.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:51:13 PM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Ron M.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 07:53:32 PM »
You have to remember every gun will shoot slightly differently (sometime with huge differences) with any given load.

This has been my experience, you may not have the same results.

The Scorpion I had liked a mid level charge of Blue Dot (7.5gr) and a 124gr Barry's plated bullet. My Ruger PCC does OK with that load but shoots the same bullet with a heavy charge (4.4gr)  of TiteGroup very well. My Beretta CX4 did it's best with a mid level charge (4.1gr) of Bullseye and a Speer TMJ bullet. I never found a really good load for the Kel-Tec carbine I had.  I'd suggest TiteGroup, Power Pistol, or Bullseye for starters, I've had good results with all of them. For bullets Barry's plated are good and so are Rainier leadsafe. I've had really good luck with Speer TMJ and Unicore bullets too.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:56:13 PM by Ron M. »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 09:29:46 AM »
hubby made a bunch with 124 gr bullets but we couldn?t get as good a group as we did with 115gr factory.

Pinkish -
Ah, now I understand. Here's a plan to derive what you need...

? When you shoot lead, especially lead that you mold yourself, the most important thing is the fit of the bullet into the barrel. Just becasue the bullet dropped from a 9mm mold really means nothing. Without a good fit, the barrel probably started collecting lead, which further degraded any accuracy you had at the start. So the first step is to "slug the barrel" and find out what diameter bullet the barrel wants to shoot. Shooting lead is cheap, but it's a lot more work, which is why most people chasing accuracy will simply stick with plated or jacketed.

? Then you can analyze the barrel's twist rate and come up with a range for optimal bullet weight. At least in the CZ pistols, that happens to fall in the 124gr range. 

? Then, since the Evo's barrel is longer, we know that the gun will take advantage of a slightly slower powder than is normally used in a CZ pistol. Look to powders such as VV N340, AA No7, Ramshot Silhouette, Power Pistol, and the like. These are all known accuracy powders with a soft steady "push".

? Then since the exact "load" won't be known, you'll need to shoot within the load manual's suggested range, starting low and working up to nearly Max Load in small increments... something like 0.2gr. These are known as "incremental loads" or shooting a "ladder". Maybe 6-8 rounds at each increment, each load onto a fresh target from a well supported position. In that way the targets will tell you which load the gun likes best.

It's a lot of work, but the targets don't lie. And it's the only way to find out what your gun likes.

Hope this helps.  ;)

Offline CPTKILLER

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »

Offline I like pink

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »
Thanks, guys!

So I think I used some wrong terminology!  Hubby is making reloaded rounds, but buying the actual bullet/projectile.  We aren't casting the lead part!  (how messy is THAT!?}

So it was the 115 gr FMJ's (factory) that were shooting really well... but I can't use them for the steel matches.  But we got darned nice groupings on paper.  (our assumption is to use a round that gets the best on paper cuz when you are holding it... it's only gonna get worse... right?)

So we ended up picking up a box of 115 (we only had 124 gr projectiles cuz that's what we use in our pistols so far.)  Plus, based on threads I'd found here an elsewhere... decided to pick up a box of 147.)  We also picked up a pound of different powder (he already had titegroup.)  The guy at the reloading store suggested Silhouette (as I had also read that some people were getting better results with slower powder.)

He made a ton of rounds and he did some tests with it.  We narrowed it down to a few loads... so he made some more of those and we're going to go to the range this weekend and I'm going to actually do the shooting and see what we get!

OH.... the BEST part of the trip to the reloading store:  I GOT PINK BULLETS (projectiles!)  WOOT!  WOOT!  How awesome is THAT!??  hahaha   :-*

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 10:35:32 PM »
If you shoot lead bullets, then the very first step is to slug the bore. You MUST buy bullets according to your bore size.

Lead bullets for the 9mm come in 0.355, 0.356, and 0.357" diameters. They are all "9mm bullets", but if you go too small the bore gets leaded and accuracy goes out the window. 

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 06:50:39 AM »
I make pink bullets by powder coating my home cast lead. ;) I don't have my sheet in front of me but when I get a chance I'll look over what my Scorpion liked with my hand cast 124 gr bullets. I do remember 6.5 grains of Accurate Arms #7 works well in almost everything I use, with the 124 gr cast powder coated bullet.

anything