Author Topic: Cheap Loadmaster Light  (Read 890 times)

Offline mrcabinet

Cheap Loadmaster Light
« on: June 02, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »
I was checking out at the hardware store the other day when I noticed a rack with these little LED flashlights, which gave me an idea. They were a whopping $2.99!

A little tapering on the belt sander made it wedge in nice and snug. The largest metal bit I had to drill out the turret was 5/8" but it was plenty big.

The tag said the bulb has a 10,000 hr. life, which means it would outlive the press if true. We'll see.
No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: Cheap Loadmaster Light
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 05:15:09 PM »
That's pretty neat. And a great application, too.

You might start casting around now, looking for a very low voltage "wall wort" power supply. These are commonly saved after old electronic toys die. Then when the battery(s) die you can wire it up to to run off AC.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 06:04:24 PM »
Actually, the lack of a cord is what appealed to me. My son works for a battery company, so I'm set in that respect.

Offline dave33

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »
If you have any more tool heads you need to get the center plug out of, instead of drilling, I have found a socket extension with a socket pretty close in size to the hole will knock it out with one sharp blow.  I knocked the center out of all of my tool heads, probably 5 total.  They come out easy, do it while its on the press, no metal shavings to deal with.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 08:46:53 PM »
That's pretty neat. And a great application, too.

You might start casting around now, looking for a very low voltage "wall wort" power supply. These are commonly saved after old electronic toys die. Then when the battery(s) die you can wire it up to to run off AC.

;)

I did something similar with a small flashlight bulb and reflector.  I use a an old 5 volt computer supply with a all home made voltage divider circuit to give 1, 1.5, 3 and 5vdc options.  Later I found a simple small plug on power supply for 5 VDC.  that worked fine.  I haven't switched over yet.  The light bulbs last over a year and cost a dollar when I buy 5.

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 10:18:45 PM »
That's a great tip on using a socket to knock the center out. I tried it today and it worked like a champ!

Offline CPTKILLER

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 09:42:59 AM »
Innovative thinking Out of the Box.

Offline dave33

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »
That's a great tip on using a socket to knock the center out. I tried it today and it worked like a champ!

Yea, makes very short work of those center plugs.  I use to do the small flashlight on top for extra light but found I like to run a small inspection mirror and book reading light so I can watch all my cases being primed instead.  Got a floor lamp with an articulating arm for extra light now.

anything