Author Topic: Laser target training  (Read 2092 times)

Offline champe

Laser target training
« on: June 13, 2018, 05:53:42 AM »
A few years ago I tried the target system offered by Laserlyte.  It was an expensive joke.  The target failed after about a week.  So I bought a new one.  That one never worked.  Now I have the "new" iTarget system and went to use the Laserlyte laser bullet with it.  You guessed it - no longer works.

The iTarget system came with a laser bullet.  It uses a smartphone as a sensor.  Right now I have used it for  few days and it is working well.  It is a little fussy with adjustments, but at least it works.  So far I have only used the bullseye feature, but it also has quickdraw and timing features.

Anyone out there with similar experience or recommendations ?

Offline tde44

Re: Laser target training
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »
Try http://www.laser-ammo.com/ - it is what I use (their surestrike).  The firing pin is what actuates the laser.  I have a kit that includes setup for 9, 40, 45 & 223.

I also have one of their electronic targets which is good but pricey.  They also have software that can run on your PC which I don't use.  I have used some free software that is not bad http://shootoffapp.com/ but would be great with a projector.

Offline Mick-S

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
I also use the surestrike with iTarget. I built my own stand and downloaded the targets from iTarget.
I purchased the quickdraw app and it's all I use now. Works great.

Offline champe

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 09:14:51 PM »
Looked at the Surestrike - expensive.  Also no 22 LR option.

Was disappointed with several Laserlyte products but went ahead and got their .22 LR bullet (sound activated) and it has been working well for a week now.  It would not work in my Browning Medalist in dry fire mode (seems to have a weak strike)  but works great in a Ruger Mk III.

Yesterday I got a .45 laser bullet from Aviators Tactical through eBay for $44.  They sell a 9mm for about the same.  This one is working well also.  And it looks like the cheapest way to go.

You can get the iTarget starter set with a laser bullet and stand for $90, or just download the program for free and get your bullet elsewhere.

I find the laser bullet by itself to be useful too.  You can see your "bullet impact" with every pull of the trigger when dry firing. Good for point shooting or aiming.

Offline nettle

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 10:06:05 PM »
I've had Surestrike laser cartridges (9mm & 45acp) for about 5 years now. I also have a Laserpet target. The first LaserPet target sent to me was truly a piece of junk and Laser-Ammo replaced this free. The second LaserPet target has been excellent for years now.

I have to "sight in" my gun every time the laser cartridge is installed. That is I have to install, remove, rotate, and reinstall, the laser cartridge a few times before the laser cartridge is dead on with the sights. This sounds harder to do than it really is.

My laser set up isn't something you set up and practice with when only a few minutes of time a day are available. But in the long winter months when I can not shoot at my outdoor range the Surestrike is certainly more enjoyable than just plain dry firing.

Offline champe

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 06:52:48 PM »
I like short 10 minute dry fire sessions.  Short attention span I guess.  If I have company, then we could have a little match and of course that would take a lot longer.

I have switched my 9mm laser bullet back and forth between two super high quality guns (Sig P210A and CZ 75 Shadow Custom Target).  I do not have to rotate the bullet to find a sweet spot.  If there is one, I suppose you could mark the bullet with an "up" position.

They say you can lubricate the o-rings with gun oil, but I am going to try a better idea.  I once used petroleum jelly on o-rings and had them swell up to an out-of-spec, unusable  condition.  The right lubricant for that was silicone based, so I will try it on a laser bullet.