Author Topic: Re-installing barrel nut...loctite?  (Read 291 times)

Offline chris_8806

Re-installing barrel nut...loctite?
« on: June 13, 2018, 07:50:48 AM »
I removed my stock handguard on my scorpion evo carbine, replaced it with an upgrade. Putting it back together today.

Should I put loctite back on the barrel nut threads? And if so red or blue loctite will suffice?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Offline earlan357

Re: Re-installing barrel nut...loctite?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »
As long as it's torqued properly I wouldn't worry about using anything more than blue loctite.  The tapered polymer ring should provide enough friction to keep it from coming loose.

Here's the torque specs from CZ:

Barrel nut: 70.8 in/lbs
Receiver Screws: 17.1 in/lbs

Offline biggerhammer

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:43:53 AM »
Rockset

Offline earlan357

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »
I just re-read your post and you said you replaced you stock handguard with an upgrade.  What did you replace it with? Every aluminum handguard I've seen clamps around the trunnion and doesn't require the original nut.

Since the factory nut tightens against the polymer handguard, a high temp thread locker like red loctite or rockset seems unnecessary since the polymer would melt before the locking compound breaks down.

Offline biggerhammer

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »
Red loctite makes it hard to remove when you desire to do so, you'll need heat and a bunch of torque.  Rockset is much easier to remove and still retains it's locking properties even when the barrel is heated. Perfect for an application that doesn't require a huge amount of locking power and needs to hold up to heat and thermal expansion of the metals.

Blue loctite has and most likely always will fail for this application just like it would in a muzzle device application.

I two am wondering which handguard the op went with.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:35:59 PM by biggerhammer »

Offline Kraftwerk

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 08:43:43 AM »
I upgraded to the 6" flat nose HBI hand guard a little while ago. Just used some blue loctite on the trunnion screw and then some on the 4 set screws, torqued to spec and should be good. I actually had to swap guards and the 4 screws broke free with a light amount of force so yes blue sorta sucks, but it held together over a few trips to the range. 
But yea, unless you put the stock guard back on, you dont need to put the barrel nut back on, it does nothing sitting on the end of the barrel with nothing to hold.

anything