Author Topic: SAR K2 45 hammer spring question and etc.  (Read 442 times)

Offline HollowDawg

SAR K2 45 hammer spring question and etc.
« on: June 13, 2018, 02:09:36 PM »
Long time lurker but new member and 1st time poster. Recently purchased what appears to be one of the last SAR K2 45 stainless pistols around. love the pistol. Seems to get along well with my Cz s, Tristar and Witness clones. no loose parts in the bottom of the gun safe from rivalry fighting so all is good.  ;) Question after reading all the threads I could find, is the hammer spring on the K2 the same/similar as the full size frame Witness? Can do a stare and compare, but hoped someone knew before I start destroying roll pins. Also, many thanks to all the posters for the great info on "Cajunizing" these great pistols. All my Cz s and Tristar clones have had the DIY treatment w wonderful results!

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: SAR K2 45 hammer spring question and etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 03:36:52 PM »
Welcome to the Forum and Congratulations on your new SAR K2-45!  :)  May it serve you well!  :)

Question after reading all the threads I could find, is the hammer spring on the K2 the same/similar as the full size frame Witness?

I believe so, but I've not taken my SAR K2-45 apart.  In the past, Sarsilmaz had a partnership with Tanfoglio and Sarsilmaz produced licensed copies of Tanfoglio Pistols for the area Market, before later striking out on their own.  Many parts of the Polymer Framed 9mm Sarsilmaz Pistols will interchange with Tanfoglio Pistols.  The SAR K2-45 on the other hand, is much more different in design than the current Tanfoglio line, but I expect that the Hammer Spring would be much the same.

IF you get brave and want to play with it, this is a possibility:  https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/xtreme-parts-/289-xtreme-hammer-spring.html

Also note that if you go changing the Hammer Spring, a change in Recoil Spring will also be in order.

That said, I like my SAR K2-45 as it came out of the box.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:43:16 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline HollowDawg

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:07:58 AM »
Thanks much for the link! I hadn't seen that parts site before. Quick question. Why would I need to change the recoil spring if I go with a lighter hammer spring? I figured I would probably have to change the firing pin spring to get reliable primer strikes but why the recoil spring? Does the hammer at rest exert that much resistance against the slide?

Offline HollowDawg

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »
Or rather, would changing the hammer spring to a pound of so lighter spring change the resistance of the hammer at rest against the slide enough to warrant a heavier recoil spring?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 01:12:36 PM »
Does the hammer at rest exert that much resistance against the slide?

Or rather, would changing the hammer spring to a pound of so lighter spring change the resistance of the hammer at rest against the slide enough to warrant a heavier recoil spring?

In most cases, Yes.

The balance between the two is something you'll have to experiment with, but in my experience, that has been necessary.
Only one pound, maybe not, but go two pounds, probably.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:18:28 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline John A.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 01:23:57 PM »

Because when the slide is moving rearward, the combined resistance from the recoil spring and the hammer spring works together because the momentum is overcoming both.

If you lighten one, many times you'll need to increase the other to maintain equilibrium or you may increase wear and battering of the parts.

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline HollowDawg

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 02:04:12 PM »
Got it. Seems like I need to up my recoil springs on my CZ s and Tristars. Was unaware of this when I lightened up the hammer springs on all. Makes sense. Just didn't think it thru. Always more ways to $pend! another order to CGW or Wolff I guess. Thx for the good info! This is a great forum for Cz s and the many clones out there!!

Offline .45 acp nut

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 06:09:18 PM »
I ordered some from Wolff direct: https://www.gunsprings.com/EAA/cID1/mID19/dID100  They ARE the short hammer springs. I don't remember what weight spring I ordered and I no longer own the SAR.
Sempr Fi!

Offline HollowDawg

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 07:13:20 AM »
Thx for the spring info. Do you remember if it made much difference after you changed the hammer spring? Also, you didn't happen to find any good "drop in" sights to replace the OEM ones by any chance? Not a big fan of the sights it comes with. Pistol seems to print low and left(which seems to be common) and hoping new and better sights will help some with this.

Offline .45 acp nut

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 09:09:26 PM »
The hammer spring DID make a difference,. The trigger was lighter, much improved. As far as the sights; I just drifted them far right and adjusted to the right, and was able to hit where I aimed. I sold it before I invested any money in the sights.
Sempr Fi!

anything