Author Topic: Just A PD Bullet Curiosity  (Read 1109 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Just A PD Bullet Curiosity
« on: July 05, 2018, 12:46:53 AM »
I primarily load the  124gr PD JHP.  It shoots very well for my range and some competition uses.
When I first started using the 124 PD JHP, I recorded the average length as .5845" and it still comes very close to that now.

When reloading I do one step that's not really needed.  I check every load for OAL with a simple HF digital caliper.  My LEE turret press bullet seating anvil is conical. No need for discussion here.

The curiosity comes in when measuring my PD oals.  They have my very largest oal variances compared to a number of other bullets I use and/or have used. 

I've found the reason.  First let me say my reload oals have been pretty darn good in reality: +/-.002 extreme spread and most much closer..  The problem is the PD HP nose.  I've tested and found many of some batches ofthe PD jacket where it's folded over the lead hollow point  has "flash".  That is very thin slivers of brass sticking up on some of the HP's 6 cuts.  SOME stick UP as much as .004-.005".  When checking the OAL ,  if the bullet is positioned on the caliper centered,  it may show .005" longer than my goal.  If it's loaded two thousandths long (no problem) and if positioned on the flash,  it READS .007" too long. :P
My press  seating anvil doesn't press the "flash" flat.  Sometimes the flash can actually be felt as sharp edges whendragging  your finger lightly across the nose.

One test I performed was to press just the bullet nose lightly on a flat piece of steel by hand.  I checked the bullet length before and after.  Some bullets shortened  substantially after lightly pressing the nose on the steel.  When the nose cut with the biggest peace of flash sticking up is contacting the jaws of the caliper,  the oal could be .007"...one or two even more...too long.  Rotate the bullet on the caliper and it may only see .003/.004" long.  Some read dead on my oal.  99% never read more than .002" SHORT, most closer to the .5845 length

I understand how "flash" could form in the bullet making process,  but NONE of my ZERO HP, MG HP, Speer HP, Hornady HP and a few BRY HPs have had these large variations.

I know measuring so many OALs isn't common place,  but has anyone noticed any oal consistency issues with the 124 PD JHPs?

Again,  just a lot said about a curiosity (to me).

Offline copemech

Re: Just A PD Bullet Curiosity
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 12:59:37 AM »
I figure I get what I pay for. As that variance is at the end and not effecting push or spin, then I can live well with it.

Hornady or others may get expensive for range fodder! O0

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 07:00:40 AM »
Have you ever seen evidence of the flashing coming off the nose of the bullets during feeding from the magazine into the chamber?  I wonder if it could cause feeding/chambering issues if several pieces got caught up in the lube/cracks/crevices.

You could do a test.  Shoot groups of your reloads that have varying lengths then (after getting rid of the flashing prior to seating the bullets) shoot groups with a more uniform length and see if it makes a difference.

I only measure length when setting up a new bullet recipe or when changing bullets to insure what I'm loading today has the same length as the last time I loaded that cartridge with that bullet.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »
M1,
 I rarely have a failure to feed,  I've never seen any brass residue in the chamber.
Re FTFeed". A chipped extractor once caused problems several months back...replaced & fixed.  I have shot the Shadow when the ramp and chamber were filthy/ coated completely black that caused a FTFeed.  I literally rubbed the black off the feed ramp and finished that day's shooting.
With a little Hoppes and a patch or three,   no FTFs.

I'm sure I could load this PD load without ever checking the OAL after the first few and never have a problem.  It's just something 'different" in my experiences with a lot of other bullets

A number of reloaders here question oal variations with their press/stroke/whatever.  This adds a another strange reason to show excess variations. :-\

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 10:17:08 PM »
This adds a another strange reason to show excess variations. :-\

If you're seating off the ogive, you shouldn't be overly concerned about OAL consistency.  Seating off the ogive sacrifices a little OAL consistency in favor of seating depth consistency, which is a GOOD thing.  ;)

I don't check mine at all.  I have in the past. I do it with a new press to make sure all is well, but if all is well, if my gear and my arm are working well together, that's the end of it.  I never check it again except to set dies for new bullets.  I seat all bullets off the ogive, so I expect OAL consistency to suffer.  ;)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 11:52:07 PM »
Yes,  true if the seating depth is uniform.   How did you originally determine the seating depth?  Did you measure the oal to determine the seating depth.  Yes.  If someone measures future OALs frequently they might blame the reloader or the press for inconsistency. 

Like you in this case, the loader needs to be able to trust  the press.  The chrono results SHOULD verify that consistency.  Many variables are possible when chronoing.  Checking  oal and getting unreliable readings  adds to those variables.  Not a big deal if the "reason" is known.

Just a curiosity in this case.