Poll

I havea choice of guns to keep loaded in the bedroom.  Which would you choose as a first line of defence?  (In the unlikely chance that it will be needed.)

S&W 1911 .45 acp (8+1)  Reliable.  Very, Very accurate.
7 (53.8%)
Rami 9mm.  (14+1)  Now proven reliable.  Accurate.
4 (30.8%)
Beretta 92 compact 9mm.  (13+1)  Totally reliable.  Very accurate.
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: July 28, 2018, 05:43:32 PM

Author Topic: First line of defense  (Read 1027 times)

Offline frogwalking

• Retired Engineer, Viet. Vet., (one of the 4%)
First line of defense
« on: July 07, 2018, 05:43:32 PM »
In the unlikely event of a home invasion, only one gun can be the first line of defense.  I assume it would likely take place in the dark at 20 feet or so.  I also assume he will be somewhat busy with my dog attacking him.  (That will probably be all that is required).

Offline MeatAxe

Re: First line of defense
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 07:33:30 PM »
In the unlikely event of a home invasion, only one gun can be the first line of defense.  I assume it would likely take place in the dark at 20 feet or so.  I also assume he will be somewhat busy with my dog attacking him.  (That will probably be all that is required).

It's not all that unlikely. I had some scumbag walk into my house late at night, with all the lights, tv on etc. Luckily, I was awake and had a pistol nearby and chased his ass out of the house. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to take a clear shot.

I would go with layers of defense in case some layers fail for whatever reason, you have a simple Plan B, C, & D etc. in case the bad guys get the drop on you somehow.

1. Ferocious dogs inside and/or outside.

2. Armed burglar alarm system w/ signal to local LEO.

3. Dagger for close quarters if you're surprised in bed (e.g. British commando knife).

4. Easy access to loaded CZ pistol(s) with mounted lights or lasers.

5. Depending on where you live, home construction, neighbors, etc. a loaded carbine, SBR, or rifle-caliber pistol, preferably an AK in 7.62x39.

Offline dannyvi

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 03:31:47 PM »
Shotgun !

Offline Oldwolf

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 03:42:05 PM »
If my two pet cats fail to tear the intruder to shreds, my follow-up plan is a CZ83 and a Buck 120.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SP-01 Shadow Target Custom
75 SA

Offline GBUS

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 10:09:28 PM »
I might be in the dark but he, she, it, sure as sh!t won't be.

Offline Old-Duckman

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 12:20:00 PM »
Whichever you decide on, remember to have hearing protection at hand. I had never thought about it prior to seeing someone comment about that in a forum. Since then I have had a pair hanging on the headboard. A plus is that if I turn my volume all the way up, I can hear better than I can w/o them on...a plus for me a minus for the bad guy.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 09:34:34 PM »

So when will the rail  light will be turned on to find the bad "person"?

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 02:53:13 PM »

^
While my dogs are barking and chewing on said bad person and/or my burglar alarm is going off, that is, if said bad person is stupid enough to stick around after that (many are).

Also, I leave enough lights on around the house that I can take a clear shot from my AK without revealing my position.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:00:18 PM by MeatAxe »

Offline GBUS

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 07:30:42 PM »

I may be out in the woods, but I do have electric lights to go with the indoor plumbing. The weapon light is not used to find anyone only to help me clearly discern my target from my dogs.
My dogs warn and protect me, my job is to protect and keep them from harm in turn. That more often than not means chasing off a bear, dispatching a Fischer Cat or Porcupine.

Offline Insert

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 02:05:46 PM »
I’d personally go with either the 92 compact or the Rami w/ 14 round mag since im biased for 9mm and would rather have the extra capacity. But honestly, its whatever you shoot best with and are comfortable/confidant with.

Online lewmed

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 07:04:13 PM »
 My choice is my 97BD loaded with Gold Dots and a spare magazine 11 + 10  I like putting big holes in things that includes bad guys.

Offline frogwalking

• Retired Engineer, Viet. Vet., (one of the 4%)
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 06:35:52 PM »
Thanks folks.  I am "getting" old and sometimes have difficulty racking the slide of the 1911.  I now depend on a 2 good sized dogs and the Beretta.  It  has a soft recoil spring and is 100 % reliable.  My Rami has also been accurate and reliable since it was worked on under warranty, bur the recoil spring is much stiffer. 

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 07:20:01 PM »
Thanks folks.  I am "getting" old and sometimes have difficulty racking the slide of the 1911.  I now depend on a 2 good sized dogs and the Beretta.  It  has a soft recoil spring and is 100 % reliable.  My Rami has also been accurate and reliable since it was worked on under warranty, bur the recoil spring is much stiffer.

Do you keep your auto pistols loaded with the chamber empty? That's going to slow you down when the SHTF, especially if you have trouble racking the slide, especially when you're shot full of adrenalin.

The great thing about CZ pistols (at least the de-cockers) is that they can be safely carried with a round in the chamber and the hammer down (at basically a half-cock position once the decocker has been employed).

Offline noway

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 06:46:47 AM »

It's not all that unlikely. I had some scumbag walk into my house late at night, with all the lights, tv on etc. Luckily, I was awake and had a pistol nearby and chased his ass out of the house. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to take a clear shot.

Don't forget the cost of cleaning up the mess even after a justified shooting. Does homeowners' cover that?

Offline radagast

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 04:51:46 PM »
#1a  Aggressive territorial dog with excellent hearing.
  1b  Extremely Loud bird that sees better than my motion detectors !
  1c  Electronic Security system
  2    About 5000 lumens of security lights
  3    Nosey neighbors
  4    No kids to worry about
  5    Wife's a better shot than I am ( I'm no sniper, but no slouch )
  6    A chambered P07 always within 2 feet or less
  7    Alternative firearms quickly available.
  8    Police know and like us, and are less than 5 minutes away
  9    Carpet is old and needs replacing !
Call before stopping by for a visit ! I'll be glad to start a pot of coffee, and always have cold beer and wine on hand !
"Let there be light"  and then there was muzzle flash !

anything