Author Topic: Looking for smooth-hand-cycling hollow-points.  (Read 960 times)

Offline cz75bmb

Looking for smooth-hand-cycling hollow-points.
« on: July 09, 2018, 02:58:39 PM »
   In my CZ-75B's, 124grain S&B (Sellier and Bellot) hand-cycle
*very* smoothly.  I don't even have to press the back of the slide --
the strength of the recoil spring pushes the round all the way into
the chamber all by itself in a very slow and gentle process
that is quasi-static with no slingshot effect used.
(Fiocchi 115grain fmj's are similar in this smoothness property if I recall.)
   In am currently running S&B hollow points (115grain, 1237fps).
But, they do not hand-cycle nearly as smooth as the S&B 124grain fmj's.
   Remington UMC 115grain FMJ's are *awful* in this regard.  I
have to wack the HELL out of the back of the slide just to get the round
into the chamber, and sometimes that doesn't even work.  A very violent
slingshot usually gets the round into the chamber...  They are dramatically
worse than the S&B 115gr hollow points in this regard.
   My question is this:  Has anyone stumbled into a hollow-point
round that hand-cycles as smoothly as S&B 124grain FMJ's, as described above?
(I am looking for such a hollow point.  The spring itself should be strong
enough to get the round into the chamber all by itself, in a quasi-static
process with *no* slingshot to be as smooth as S&B 124gr fmj's.)

Offline Tok36

Re: Looking for smooth-hand-cycling hollow-points.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 03:04:53 PM »
Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST hollow points feed smoothly in all of my 75 variant CZs.

If the barrel needs it, polishing the feed ramp may be worth while. I do this to all of my CZs during the tuning process.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 04:18:49 PM »
Are you sure you aren?t riding the slide forward maybe?  There really shouldn?t be anything ?slow and gentle? about clambering a round in a semi-auto.  That?s when misfeeds can typically occur, when you try babying it too much.  Pull it back and let it go, by nature it is a fairly violent action.
Otherwise, maybe try Hornady Critical Defense or Duty with the polymer tips. Maybe that?ll keep the open end of the HP round from catching on the feed ramp if the slide is moving forward too slowly. Federal HST?s are my favorite though.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 07:23:31 PM »
It probably has more to do with the shape of the bullet's ogive than anything else. The CZs are designed around the RN bullet (aka "FMJ" or "ball"), which is all you can buy in eastern Europe. When you introduce a lot of the bullet shapes we have here in north America, the CZ chamber chokes on them. The cartoon below tries to show the 2 modes of interference...

A way to confirm this is to remove the barrel from the gun, drop the round into the chamber, and them try to spin it in place. A proper cartridge will "head space" on the end of the cartridge case, and then be free to spin on the brass-steel interface. If the round refuses to spin, it's becasue the bullet is not free of the rifling, and is in fact digging into (engaging) the rifling.

That type bullet interference represents a feature that's going to raise the chamber pressure substantially, and is something to guard against.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »
Is it possible that the gun is filthy?  Or more specifically the the extractor is gummed up?  If the extractor doesnt move freely, rounds can clunk clunk clunk as they chamber.

If the action is fine, and it's not a matter of the loads being a poor OAL for the CZ chamber, it's possible you might be evaluating things in a way that isn't particularly useful.  How smooth the action is when hand-cycling isnt important because you don't hand-cycle when using the pistol to shoot.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 08:19:18 PM »
What ID and Woobly said above.
The pistol doesn't ease the slide forward when firing.  The slide is slammed back (RECOIL) and rebounds with the assist from the recoil spring.
With very light loads,  a lighter recoil spring let's the slide accelerate  back FASTER.  With very heavy loads,  a stronger recoil spring prevents the slide from moving too fast.

Lubrication,  surface smoothness and cleanliness all affect feeding effectiveness.  Bullet length and nose shape can also effect smooth  feeding.

The JHPs mentioned above along with many others should feed fine when the pistol feeds the cartridges. 

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 05:09:19 AM »
I have tried just about every defensive round available in my CZ's and they all functioned and fired as they should. Drop the slide with the slide stop or sling shot it forward,never an issue. Riding the slide slowly by hand is not a valid test for ammo feeding ever.