Author Topic: Conflicting Information on Cleaning & Maintenance  (Read 961 times)

Offline nickrabbo

Conflicting Information on Cleaning & Maintenance
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »
Hey all,

I got my p10c a few days ago and was intending on taking it to the range to put some rounds through.

I understand it's better to clean the firearm before it's first use so I took it apart yesterday and used my Hoppe's kit.

The issue I'm having is that any forum you go to, they will tell you it's okay to use a gun bore cleaner (in my case Hoppe's #9) to use on parts of the firearm that isn't the bore. So the slide, rails, etc. Furthermore, they tell you it's perfectly safe to use on polymer.

But when you look in the CZ manual, it explicitly tells you not to use gun bore cleaner on any part that isn't the gun bore. More for the purpose of eliminating rust in future.

So what gives? I used Hoppe's 9 to clean the bore, slide, and rails yesterday but now this conflicting information has got me paranoid. Also, if you have better cleaning and maintenance suggestions that would be great but I'm specifically asking about the conflicting information and whether or not it was safe to use.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Conflicting Information on Cleaning & Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 01:45:54 PM »
I scrub my P-07 (polymer frame) and all down with hoppes 9 as I do all my guns when cleaning and rinse them down after that with a plastic safe aerosol spray and let dry before lubing.
Don't worry you are fine. Some older bore cleaners were very harsh especially the mil spec stuff. Hoppes won't hurt your gun.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »
Hoppes #9 isn't a strong bore cleaner.  It does break loose crud/soot  build-up pretty well.
Some "dedicated" bore cleaners are very strong chemicals that may harm, plastics or even some finishes.
There are bore cleaners and then there are BORE CLEANERS.
I don't have poly framed by pistols.  If I did,  I would exercise some caution and maybe even test a spot or two

I've used Hoppes #9 and Hoppes "Semiautomatic" (my favorite) since ........well since there was dirt,  and it never did any damage to steel, aluminum, brass or even wood grips and stocks where it was accidentally splashed.
For the CZ 75 bbls,  I fill a "Sunny D" bottle and drop in the bbl, put the cap on the bottle shake and then let it soak for up for hours if I'm busy.  Works.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:49:20 PM by 1SOW »

Offline nickrabbo

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 04:24:49 PM »
I scrub my P-07 (polymer frame) and all down with hoppes 9 as I do all my guns when cleaning and rinse them down after that with a plastic safe aerosol spray and let dry before lubing.
Don't worry you are fine. Some older bore cleaners were very harsh especially the mil spec stuff. Hoppes won't hurt your gun.
All bore cleaners aren't the same, and some do contain chemicals that can damage polymers and plastics.

In the case of Hoppe's No. 9, it is mostly a mixture of Kerosene and Ethanol, and shouldn't harm the polymer frame of your gun.
Hoppes #9 isn't a strong bore cleaner.  It does break loose crud/soot  build-up pretty well.
Some "dedicated" bore cleaners are very strong chemicals that may harm, plastics or even some finishes.
There are bore cleaners and then there are BORE CLEANERS.
I don't have poly framed by pistols.  If I did,  I would exercise some caution and maybe even test a spot or two

I've used Hoppes #9 and Hoppes "Semiautomatic" (my favorite) since ........well since there was dirt,  and it never did any damage to steel, aluminum, brass or even wood grips and stocks where it was accidentally splashed.
For the CZ 75 bbls,  I fill a "Sunny D" bottle and drop in the bbl, put the cap on the bottle shake and then let it soak for up for hours if I'm busy.  Works.
Thank you all for the responses, very reassuring for my paranoia lol!

On a side note, right about the time I started this thread, a CZ technician called me back from Kansas. He was calling regarding a previous question I had asked them but I took advantage of the call and asked him the same question regarding the cleaning. In summary, this is what he said:

1) If I used Hoppe's 9 bore cleaner on it parts other than the bore, it should be perfectly fine. It isn't that aggressive.

2) Gun bore cleaners are generally okay, but just DONT use the older style copper based solutions. Those might cause some unwanted wear.

3) Regardless of both points 1 & 2 above, the gun is generally very low maintenance and doesn't need anything more than 4 little drops of gun oil on the rails and cleaning of the bore. Other parts of the gun don't really need cleaning with a solution and just using a brush to break up buildup is adequate enough.

4) Putting some gun oil on other parts of the gun, such as the inside of the slide or on the outside of barrel is optional since it would burn off anyway after a day's use at the range. So it's basically up to you but if storing the gun for a long time, he recommended to yes, put some oil on various parts besides rails for storage.

So looks like it's reaffirming what you all said, thank you!

Side note, I had previously called to ask him about the "silent revisions" they did on the p10c so I could make sure my new purchase was the updated one. If anyone is interested to know what they were along with some pictures, let me know and I can make a separate thread and share. Probably be easier to find that way in case someone is googling for it in the future.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline lewmed

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 07:18:40 PM »
 I'm a little shy of most spray cleaners I messed up the grips on one of my Sigs even after removing the grips I still screwed them up. My wife thinks I did it to justify buying new grips I'll never tell.

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 09:35:45 PM »
Since there was dirt???  Man, you've got to be older than me.  The dirt was getting pretty deep (we had a garden) by the time I started using Hoppe's #9.  I was 12, it was 1969 and my dad had gotten me an Ithaca M37 12 ga. to hunt with that fall.  I still have it.  It's still pretty as can be.

Anyway, been using Hoppe#9 for 48 years now.  The only other bore cleaners I've used are the military stuff (RBC it was labeled) and never heard of it rusting the metal the M14's (steel) or the M16's (steel and aluminum).  And a few years ago I started using a black powder bore cleaner called Black Off for those rifles that I shoot the Russian corrosive ammo in.  No rust on those either as long as I clean the crud off very quickly after I shoot them.

The polymer frames are pretty tough.  I've used carb. cleaner and brake cleaner on the Glock and the XDM's.  Not sure if I used it on the P07 or P09's.  I've used it on the AR15's quite a bit, didn't hurt the plastic on those either (the GI plastic - have not/will not get it on those magpul grippy coated pistol grips, might dissolve those, who knows).  Probably the same for the grippy covers I installed on the .40 S&W P07 and P09, I wouldn't get carb cleaner or brake cleaner on those.  I know carb. cleaner will soften the grips on the Ruger Mk1's.  Got some flat spots on my pistol from the early 80's when I failed to remove the grips before hosing the frame down with carb cleaner.  Softened them up enough that when I changed hands/grips to spray some more I felt the grip "move" under my thumb.  Too late then.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 12:34:17 AM »
12 in 1969???? Lots of us are older including 1SOW. 69 was the year I got married and 3rd of the 4 in USAF for me.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:33:41 PM by larryflew »
, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Offline bang bang

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 01:48:13 AM »
Padwan,

some solvents are not plastic friendly.

think about all of the things that are made and released daily.  Such as solvents.  Look at your manual and you may find a print/release date.  Well, even though the manual printed on x date and probably a few years ago, that doesnt stop solvent mfg from making and releasing new solvents to use.   SO CZ is covering their A$$ by putting just say no to solvents on your non metal parts or anything but the bore.

anytime you use a solvent on something you should always try a dab on someplace not so obvious.  You should also try in on any finished metal parts too.  You never know what it may like to (eat) or not.  Same for your car/bike/boat/plane you should always try before you apply in quantity.

in the end its up to you to do or not do. 

Offline Ritter

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 01:05:15 PM »
Hoppes is fine on all parts.  BTW, the current formula no longer uses kerosene. 

The oil in the OP is basically mineral oil.  It is fine for range use, but tends to not persist in heavy use where dirt and heat builds up.

Offline ernie_h

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 02:32:33 PM »
I do use #9 on the barrel of all my CZ's, and will occasionally use it to wipe down (emphasis on 'wipe') a few other parts as well, but I generally will use a product like Weaponshield for the rest (including polymer parts). That said, the Walther folks in their 'how to clean your Walther" videos use #9 on most everything. Different polymers may react differently but, so far, I've had no issues wiping down CZ internals with #9 and carefully drying them off. There are other 'bore cleaners' that are much harsher (the Cu ones have already been noted), so maybe CZ is trying (understandably) to CYA as has been mentioned. [Disclaimer: my only polymer CZs right now are a P07 and a Phantom...but I don't think I've ever used #9 on the outside of the polymer frames]

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 07:42:45 PM »
I use Hoppes #9 bore cleaner on my barrels only, then I use Ballistol on them afterwards, then I use Ballistol to clean all of the other parts.  Then I use Hoppes oil on everything that needs a coat of oil for protection or lubrication.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
I use Hoppes #9 bore cleaner on my barrels only, then I use Ballistol on them afterwards, then I use Ballistol to clean all of the other parts.  Then I use Hoppes oil on everything that needs a coat of oil for protection or lubrication.

You may want to skip the Hoppe's oil step.

Ballistol is FAR superior in preventing rust/corrosion than Hoppe's oil.

I've only been using Ballistol for around 1 year, while I have been using Hoppes products for more like 30, so I am biased by my own experience.

It may be a better rust preventative, but it also seems to be quite a bit thinner, and I have read that it doesn't last as long as some other oils.  I'm using the Ballistol in a spray can, which seems to have the same viscosity as a can of WD-40 or similar.  It seems to work great for cleaning and short-term lubrication in any case.  I like that it leaves little to no residue after wiping down thoroughly.

Offline DWARREN

• Grumpy Old Guy
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 08:48:45 AM »
Go by the manual, they know what they built.
SHUT UP AND RELOAD!

Offline ZanderMan

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 11:36:22 AM »
What is this “cleaning” you speak of?
Used to own a CZ Jawa...

Offline Ruber

Conflicting Information on Cleaning & Maintenance
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 11:46:31 AM »

You may want to skip the Hoppe's oil step.

Ballistol is FAR superior in preventing rust/corrosion than Hoppe's oil.

I've only been using Ballistol for around 1 year, while I have been using Hoppes products for more like 30, so I am biased by my own experience.

It may be a better rust preventative, but it also seems to be quite a bit thinner, and I have read that it doesn't last as long as some other oils.  I'm using the Ballistol in a spray can, which seems to have the same viscosity as a can of WD-40 or similar.  It seems to work great for cleaning and short-term lubrication in any case.  I like that it leaves little to no residue after wiping down thoroughly.
I spend a lot of time in brackish/seawater environments and get the large non-aerosol bottles of ballistol with the pump sprayer.  The guns get wiped down after each use with a ballistol soaked cloth and I clean the actions/bores every couple of weeks or sooner if they get fully submerged.

For the bores, I use a patchworm with ballistol soaked patches.  No need for Hoppes in my experience.

anything