Author Topic: Ammo Issue with RAMI & PCR  (Read 2573 times)

Offline OldBoldPilot

• USMC 1962-1970; Retired Pilot
Re: Ammo Issue with RAMI & PCR
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 11:23:45 PM »
OldBoldPilot, how many rounds do you have through those pistols?

I don't count rounds, but a good estimate would be about 300 rounds through each, consisting of probably 200 rounds of 124 grain ball and 100 rounds of Gold Dot hollow point.

Appreciate the discussion...very interesting!

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
The issue is pretty well documented in technical forums and older hardcopy gunsmithing books.

I am aware of the dynamic with tuning 1911s.

But with CZs, specifically, CZs have really taken off over the last several years in competitive action pistol shooting, and heavy-for-caliber bullets with light mainsprings is THE thing in action pistol shooting.  But this doesn't seem to be an issue. 

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 09:02:20 AM »

I don't count rounds, but a good estimate would be about 300 rounds through each

Okay, so these are reasonably new guns.  It's quite possible that with a little more time and wear, they'll break in and work fine. 

Offline Ruber

Ammo Issue with RAMI & PCR
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 09:28:26 AM »
The issue is pretty well documented in technical forums and older hardcopy gunsmithing books.

I am aware of the dynamic with tuning 1911s.

But with CZs, specifically, CZs have really taken off over the last several years in competitive action pistol shooting, and heavy-for-caliber bullets with light mainsprings is THE thing in action pistol shooting.  But this doesn't seem to be an issue.
Sorry for confusion, I had just mentioned it as an example of just one of the things to look at, one piece of the balancing act.

Most people shooting in competitions have other things going on with their guns, they have polished surfaces and thousands of rounds through them that help smooth things out. Most people I know who shoot their own loads or other loads tuned for competition.  I personally have not seen people trying to make major with heavy loads in compacts like the rami, I may be out of touch though as I have avoided the whole bug scene.

When I load heavy bullets for aluminum framed compact 9 or 40, I tend to load lighter charges to keep muzzle flip down.  The hot, heavy loads I tend to reserve for full size guns.  The exception being max charge .40 hard cast for one of my rami?s as a pack gun/round.  I keep fresh, full strength springs in that one and it runs great.

Still, I?ve seen several custom competition CZ?s have feeding issues in self defense classes with SD ammo.  I?ve had that personally with a cajunized sp01 that I could not get to run half way through the first day of a class I took last year using range ammo.

But I think we have gone quite off topic, thanks for putting up with the drift...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 03:41:05 PM by Ruber »

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 11:02:35 AM »
For SD, I'm a 147gr HST standard pressure kind of guy.  Although I'm 124gr.FMJ guy when it comes to paper, I pretty much use only 147gr for practice with the RAMI, such as Speer and Remington with the flat top for one of the worst case scenarios.  When my new at the time RAMI had trouble with 147gr (after a half a mag or so you could see where the bullet nose hung up on the feed ramp) I took pictures, contacted CZ, and they had me retun it.  No problems now!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 03:26:02 AM »
And what's the matter with Airbus?  :o