Author Topic: Recoil spring weights  (Read 331 times)

Offline Xtinction

Recoil spring weights
« on: July 21, 2018, 09:49:24 AM »
Quick question. I have a CZ75 SP-01 and was wondering about minimum recoil spring weights. I will be shooting regular factory range ammo. Nothing hot nor nothing light. What is the minimum recoil spring weight that you would recommend without a recoil shock buffer. I am getting a pack of buffers so second part of the question is what is the lightest spring you would recommend with a buffer. And should I use the thick buffer or thin buffer. I see the pack comes with both.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:59:33 AM by Xtinction »

Offline tdogg

Re: Recoil spring weights
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 10:46:31 AM »
I've never run or seen a buffer until I got my Tso. 

None of the other model czs I've purchased came with them but the only model I purchased new was the 97bd.  Unless you upgrade the guide rod to the thicker stepped end model, the cz buffer won't fit.  The hole diameter is too large for the standard guide rod.

In my SP01 I think I'm running a 12lb recoil spring without any buffer.   I'm not sure you need a buffer with the all steel frame SP01,  the gun is a flat soft shooter out of the box.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline tdogg

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 10:54:22 AM »
Oh and most folks wouldn't run them at all for fear of them causing a gun failure.  I would never run one in anything that I relied on for self defense.

They do get chewed up in my TSO, but I've yet to see any failures in the TSO.  I have replaced it twice now.   I may stop running it when I run out.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 10:59:16 AM »
Most people will recommend against the use of a buffer.  I believe some people have had issues with them falling apart and the pieces causing malfunctions.  Some people probably don't believe they offer a benefit to service life of the pistol. 

Factory ammo can be pretty "hot".  I left all my CZ factory recoil springs in my CZ's because I usually shoot self defense type hollow points through them.  They still function with the factory FMJ ammo (no idea how those compare velocity/chamber pressure wise with the hollow points but some FMJ ammo can be pretty "hot."  Hot - high chamber pressure and high velocity which increases wear on the mechanism.  Can you measure the wear?  I can't.  Have a had a pistol fail due to using "hot" ammo?  Nope.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Xtinction

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »
Just a note, I am not using this as a self defense gun. It will be a fun competition gun. I will also be using a stainless steel guide rod. Want to see how low I can go without causing damage to the gun. That is why I was going to use the buffer. But good to get as much advice as I can from those more experienced. Keep the replies coming! Thanks.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 02:24:09 PM »
I have seen a lot of people run an 11lb spring. Generally, the best advice is to tailor spring weight to your chosen ammo. CGW sells a multi spring pack for this purpose.

Offline Xtinction

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 02:33:22 PM »
I got the 13 and 11 pound springs. I think that I will be fine with the 13 pound spring with no buffer. Wanted to try the 11 with a buffer. But still want more info from those more experienced than me. Keep the replies coming please :) Thanks!

Offline tdogg

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »
Do you have the stepped stainless steel guide rod listed here:

https://cajungunworks.com/product/75060-304ss-precision-recoil-spring-guide-rod-fits-full-size-cz/

I think this will work with the CZ buffers.  The TSO guide rod looks like this.

Cheers,
Toby

Offline baldrage

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 03:58:27 PM »
I have shot thousands of rounds of factory ammo through my SP01 Shadow with a 13# recoil spring with no problems or excessive wear.

Offline Xtinction

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 04:54:47 PM »
Tdogg, yes that is the one that I bought.

Offline six

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 08:09:40 PM »
Just a note, I am not using this as a self defense gun. It will be a fun competition gun. I will also be using a stainless steel guide rod. Want to see how low I can go without causing damage to the gun. That is why I was going to use the buffer. But good to get as much advice as I can from those more experienced. Keep the replies coming! Thanks.

For my 9mm minor (130 pf) load, I use a 9 lb. spring.

For .40 major (170 pf), I use a 12 lb. spring. 

You're not going to damage your gun unless you load your ammo ridiculously hot.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 12:17:17 AM »
An 11# or 12# spring with minor PF/typical big box store ammo  works smoothly. 
schmecky/CGW States that a spring that tosses the brass 6-8 ft shows the best slide speed/ timing for the action.
For competitors,  the muzzle flip can be adjusted to the individual "shooter" by increasing or decreasing the recoil spring wgt.   This tunes the gun to come back on target for fast multiple shots.
Hope this makes sense and helps you decide.

Offline six

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »
An 11# or 12# spring with minor PF/typical big box store ammo  works smoothly. 
schmecky/CGW States that a spring that tosses the brass 6-8 ft shows the best slide speed/ timing for the action.
For competitors,  the muzzle flip can be adjusted to the individual "shooter" by increasing or decreasing the recoil spring wgt.   This tunes the gun to come back on target for fast multiple shots.
Hope this makes sense and helps you decide.

6-8 ft is a good guideline, but it's not something I'd get too hung up on.  Bringing a tape measure to the range isn't necessary.

As long as it's not ejecting spent cases into the next zip code or pooping them out of the gun directly at your feet, I base my decision more off of reliability first and foremost, then muzzle flip and fastest splits like you mentioned.

Offline Erratikmind

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 08:27:12 AM »
On my SP-01 with the CGW Pro pkg., I run a 13# recoil spring with the steel rod. It has functioned and performed flawlessly.

anything