Author Topic: Converted my VZ-58 to accept AR-15 pistol grips  (Read 447 times)

Offline Bigdude

Converted my VZ-58 to accept AR-15 pistol grips
« on: August 10, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »
I got fed up the lack of choices for VZ-58 pistol grips so I converted my rifle to accept AR-15 pistol grips. It was quite easy and did not cost a whole lot. The only tools needed were: flat head screwdriver, hammer, a dremel, 10-32 tap, #21 drill, JP Weld and the ability to disassemble the FGP and reassemble it. Also you need to purchase the AR-15 grip tang (MKA 1919 Grip Adapter), I bought mine from Tooth and Nail Armory for $30. For paint I used the Birchwood Casey gloss black paint stick and it worked great. For those of you who want to keep the authenticity of the rifle, it is simple to convert it back. All you have to do is buy another trigger guard and cut off the AR-15 tang, then cutout the whole for the grip nut that was filled with JP weld. If anyone wants step-by-step instructions with pictures on how to convert your rifle, let me know and I can post them.

Here is the finished result and breakdown of the components:

-D-Technik Receiver
-Venom Defense and Design Skeletonized AR-15 pistol grip
-Aimpoint Micro H-1
-Bonesteel Arms Upper Handguard
-NEA Lower Handguard
-StormWerkz Stock Adapter Type 2
-PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube with Castle Nut
-Daniel Defense Buttstock
-Matador Arms Hammerhead Muzzle Brake
-Vendetta Precision VP-24 Handstop (M-Lok)
-Tactical Link Convertible Sling (2-point to 1-point)

I also added some QD sling attachments front and rear:

Here is the AR-15 grip tang that I used:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:00:26 AM by Bigdude »

Offline MeatAxe

Re: Converted my VZ-58 to accept AR-15 pistol grips
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 07:42:24 PM »
Interesting!

I'm curious about the rear QD sling mount, who makes that / where can I get one?

Also wondering how it clamps on or if it might tend to loosen the castle nut on the buffer tube.

You can also use virtually any AK pistol grip on the Vz58, though they may require a little fitting, especially around the trigger guard. I'm using Tapco AK SAW grips on my Vz58s, which are pretty ergonomic for most people (like the grip of a CZ75 pistol).

Offline Bigdude

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:34:26 PM »
Im aware of those ak47 grip adapters, i didnt use one cause they look crappy. As far as the rear sling mount it stays still on the buffer tube because the ID has a notch that sits in a groove on the buffer tube. That rear sling attachment had left and right qd points when I bought it. Then I machined off the right side then cerakoted it.

Offline RSR

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 11:38:22 PM »
I think that's a PWS ratcheting buffer tube, but possibly not. 

ARs, I typically go w/ the POF buffer tube w/ extra drainage holes, buffer detent groove (buffer detent prevents stock from rotating should castle nut loosen), etc milspec+ features.  (A lot of buffer tubes out there use cheaper aluminum than milspec.) 
The PWS are interesting, but about 1.5 to 2x the cost of POF, which accomplishes pretty much all the same things.

Buffer tube endplates, BCM are surprisingly the cheapest I've seen and they use a steel insert for the QD sling female portion.  That location is really only good for single-point slings, so side vs under makes very little difference IMO.  PWS uses side on account of the ratchet mechanism being in the under portion.

Offline Bigdude

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 12:59:34 AM »
I think that's a PWS ratcheting buffer tube, but possibly not. 

Yes, it is a PWS buffer tube (read the OP and you will see I stated that).

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 04:42:43 AM »
Im aware of those ak47 grip adapters, i didnt use one cause they look crappy. As far as the rear sling mount it stays still on the buffer tube because the ID has a notch that sits in a groove on the buffer tube. That rear sling attachment had left and right qd points when I bought it. Then I machined off the right side then cerakoted it.

Beauty and ergos are in the eyes and hands of the beholder, I suppose. I've always been more of a form follows function / ergonomics guy, myself.

Never found an AR pistol grip that I liked, bad angle for me, especially don't like anything with pronounced finger grooves -- save the big Ergo brand PGs and the now defunct Pachmayr Vindicator, which feel almost as comfortable as the versatile SAW-style grips. The standard Vz58 pistol grip feels to me like it was designed for Munchins with banana fingers, very uncomfortable in my hands.

Actually, most AK pistol grips should bolt right onto a Vz58 without need of an adaptor, even with the funky pg bracket riveted onto the receiver behind the trigger guard. The bracket actually digs in and helps secure the AK pistol grip.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:47:43 AM by MeatAxe »

Offline Erreertt

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 08:43:12 PM »
I was wondering about this. Cool