Author Topic: Firing pin issue  (Read 1267 times)

Offline wraight

Firing pin issue
« on: August 12, 2018, 07:14:13 PM »
I install the defense spring set, looks like firing pin is almost flush with slide. put a snap cap and test fired no marks on snap cap. what to check be fore going to gun range to fire :-[

The Guardian

Re: Firing pin issue
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 07:21:19 PM »
just press on the firing pin at the hammer end of the slide and see if the pin extends beyond the frame where it impacts the primer of a cartridge, it should move freely and easily.....if it does you should be fine  :)  If the firing pin doesn't move freely/easily, its binding somewhere and you will have to determine where its binding at......
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 07:27:46 PM by The Guardian »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 07:26:10 PM »
Make sure it's empty, point the muzzle up, insert a pencil into the muzzle and let it drop to the breechface.  Cock the hammer and pull the trigger.  If the pencil jumps upwards (usually they'll exit the muzzle) it'll set a cartridge/primer off.

Then pencil test, it's called.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

The Guardian

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 07:35:34 PM »
Make sure it's empty, point the muzzle up, insert a pencil into the muzzle and let it drop to the breechface.  Cock the hammer and pull the trigger.  If the pencil jumps upwards (usually they'll exit the muzzle) it'll set a cartridge/primer off.

Then pencil test, it's called.

Just make sure the pencil tip doesn't set inside the firing pin hole, make sure the tip is blunt/large enough to rest outside the hole, like a primer would be, to ensure the FP tip is extending beyond the hole when the hammer falls and pushes the FP to the pencil tip....better yet an if you choose this method use and unsharpened pencil ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:20:44 PM by The Guardian »

Offline wraight

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:25:48 PM »
Thanks for that test. Put back end of pencil in, pulled trigger and bam, pencil shot out of barrel. Again thanks to both M1A4ME & Guardian for your help.