Author Topic: Shadow 2 Build up of brass and carbon on ramp  (Read 410 times)

Offline flgunnie

Shadow 2 Build up of brass and carbon on ramp
« on: August 12, 2018, 07:29:03 PM »
New to CZ, I have 3K through my Shadow 2. Love the gun, the only thing I find odd is that I get what I consider an excessive amount of brass and hard to get off carbon on the barrel ramp. I only shoot factory ammo, buildup is the same whether it is Fiocchi, AE, Blazer Brass or SB. Doesn't affect anything other than I have to use a brass brush on the ramp. All my other guns the ramp only needs a wipe down and there is never brass stuck to it.

Is this normal on the S2 or just an oddity with my particular one?

Offline The Guardian

• CZ dreamin'... zzzzzzz..... don't wake me
Re: Shadow 2 Build up of brass and carbon on ramp
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 09:32:45 PM »
As long as it functions flawlessly, I wouldn't be too concerned about the powder residue.  As for the brass shavings about the only thing that can cause that is possibly a burr or sharp edge somewhere in the feeding/extracting path of a round into/out of the chamber....maybe feel around the feed ramp and mouth of the chamber for those things.  A light wet/dry sanding (600 grit) and polishing of the feed ramp edges and even the mouth of the chamber never hurts just to smooth out some sharp edges....I do it to most of my guns, factory feed ramps often have very sharp edges.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:36:50 PM by The Guardian »
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  John Wayne as J.B Books in "The Shootist" 1976

Offline flgunnie

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 11:07:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply. It is not brass shavings that is the concern. It is brass from the bullet nose transferring to the ramp. Usually in my other guns all I have is carbon. This one has a lot of brass transfer that has to be brushed out with a lot of effort. Think the top metal part of a Maglula that has been well used.

Offline muncie21

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 05:35:09 AM »
I agree OP, scraping copper off of your feed ramp isn't normal.  Two potential reasons for this, or a combination of them.

1. Barrel feed ramp is slightly out of spec, causing the bullets to 'drag' as they are being chambered.
2. Most CZs require bullets to be loaded 'shorter', than say a Glock or other pistol.  The factory ammo you're using is likely loader to the upper end (longer) of the specification.  When loading 9mm round nose projectiles for my CZ, I load to 1.08-1.09 overall length.  Grab a set of calipers and measure the total length of the ammo you're shooting.  My guess is that it is 1.11 or greater

Offline DWARREN

• Grumpy Old Guy
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »
I have never seen a brass build up on a ramp but have seen carbon crud build up.
Check for roughness on the ramp, only reason I could see for brass build up.
SHUT UP AND RELOAD!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 10:56:34 AM »
Polish the feed ramp "mirror" smooth/shiny.  Either by hand with some very, very fine (like 800 grit) sandpaper/emory cloth, or a Dremel with a felt polishing drum and some lapping compound.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline flgunnie

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 06:34:29 PM »
Ramp is smooth and came like a mirror from the factory, there is nothing rough on it which is why I have been so puzzled.

I think I am going to try a different magazine and just run one brand of factory ammo through it for the next 500 rounds and re-assess.

Seems like a unique problem with my gun since the replies seem to confirm that this is not normal in this gun, or any other gun for that matter.

Offline tdogg

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 07:48:32 PM »
I picture of the dirty feedramp would help along with a picture of spent cases would be informative.

What specific ammo are you shooting and how dirty is it?  Do your fired cases come out with black soot on the outside?  Are they light loads?  If they aren't sealing off the chamber due to insufficient pressure (light load), then you will get lots of crud blown back into your action (feedramp, extractor, sear cage, etc...).  Is it just the feedramp that gets extra dirty?

Cheers,
Toby

Offline flgunnie

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 09:08:22 PM »
Factory ammo SB, Blazer Brass, Speer Lawman, American Eagle, Fiocchi. Mostly 124 and some 115. It is not brass bits or crud getting blown back. It is the nose of the bullet scrapping on the ramp. I shoot a lot, fast and I get the gun pretty hot. Maybe some ammo had larger OAL like someone suggested or weaker jacket and it transferred to the ramp. Or I have a bad mag or out of spec ramp. I am cleaning it now, will take pictures and keep better records and only try one brand for my next shooting see what happens.