Author Topic: 75 Compact - decocking?  (Read 859 times)

Offline ohiodff

75 Compact - decocking?
« on: August 13, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »
I have a P-07 and am considering getting a 75 compact or P-01.  The 75 Compact D/PCR is a lot harder to find that the compact with manual safety.  My question is about the 75 compact with manual safety.  Can the hammer be lowered to the same partial-cocked position that the P-07 can or the PCR with a decocker would? 

I am of the school that you don't lower a hammer fully on a chambered round and without getting into a philosophical debate on the subject, am wondering if I can get a compact with manual safety and have the same 1/2 lowered hammer I would have if I had a decocker version.  And does the safety engage in the "1/2 cocked" position, or just in SA?

Offline cntrydawwwg

Re: 75 Compact - decocking?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 02:34:00 PM »
Yes you can lower the hammer to half cock.
   No, the safety will not flip on at half cock. Even if it does, it is not advised to use like that. Safety at full cock only.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline TNman

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 02:49:48 PM »
If you want a decocker I recommend buying the PCR, which also weighs less than the compact but feels just as good in your hand. They are harder to find but I found several on Gunbroker recently.
IDPA   |   USPSA  |   NRA

CZ RAMI BD
CZ Shadow 2
CZ P-10 C

Ruger LCR
Sig P320C 45
Sig P226 Legion
Sig P320 X-Carry

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 03:59:14 PM »
The P01 is a PCR with a rail on the front of the frame.  Decocker, aluminum frame, with a rail for a light.

Or a P01 Omega (might be as hard to find as the PCR) comes with ambidextrous decocking levers installed from the factory.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline ohiodff

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 05:10:10 PM »
Thanks guys.  I prefer the PCR but it's not as easy to get hold of, and CGW has a 75 compact in stock to put a package on right now.  Plus the 75 gives me the option to carry in 1/2 cock like I have now with the P-07 or cocked and locked. 

I'm aware of the P-01 and I'm mostly a fan but I think the 75 without the pic rail is a smoother look.  I have a P-07 and run it with a decocker so kind of have a "been there done that" thought about the P-01 even though it's an alloy gun.  Rented one and shot it at LGR recently and that's what has prompted me to look into the 75 compact.

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 10:14:24 PM »
   No, the safety will not flip on at half cock. Even if it does, it is not advised to use like that. Safety at full cock only.
What’s the issue with engaging safety at half cock?  I’ve run several that way with no problems.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 12:33:13 AM »
What’s the issue with engaging safety at half cock?  I’ve run several that way with no problems.
   The pistol is not designed to be ran that way. Pulling the trigger hard enough “could” cause internal breakage,(in the sear/safetey) allowing the hammer to fall.
    Typically stock CZ’s will not even allow the hammer to be flipped on other than full cock. CGW and CZC hammers may allow the hammer to be flipped on at half cock, or even hammer down.
    Both manufacturers, along with CZ USA recommend against using the safety in any position other than full cock.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 06:42:35 AM »
If it's at half cock, why would the safety need to be engaged?  It's already as safe as the decocker models.

If you can't trust the safety at full cock, how can it be trusted at half cock?

It has a firing pin block in the slide.  The firing pin won't go forward far enough to set the primer in the chambered cartridge off unless you pull the trigger (which raises the firing pin block out of the way prior to moving/releasing the hammer.)

You could just carry it hammer down on the back of the slide/firing pin to make it even safer (more effort required to pull the trigger as the hammer has to move farther) and the firing pin block will still keep the firing pin from setting off the primer unless you pull the trigger to disengage the firing pin block.

Or carry it cocked and locked and trust the two safeties build into the pistol as well as the safety of using a good quality holster to protect the trigger from contact with anything but your trigger finger (after you've drawn the pistol from the holster.)
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 09:27:07 AM »
   The pistol is not designed to be ran that way. Pulling the trigger hard enough “could” cause internal breakage,(in the sear/safetey) allowing the hammer to fall.
    Typically stock CZ’s will not even allow the hammer to be flipped on other than full cock. CGW and CZC hammers may allow the hammer to be flipped on at half cock, or even hammer down.
    Both manufacturers, along with CZ USA recommend against using the safety in any position other than full cock.
Right...though not sure why anyone would want to pull the trigger at all with safety engaged

Offline ViperM

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 08:29:53 PM »
Maybe they didn't notice the safety was engaged and tried to pull the trigger.  Could happen if someone is not paying attention or is stressed.

Offline charlestheforth

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 09:17:26 PM »
is it safe to carry hammer all the way down?  it has a firing pin block.. less of a chance to get the hammer snagged.

if i decock over a bucket of sand i dont see how thats dangerous.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 05:19:11 AM »
is it safe to carry hammer all the way down?  it has a firing pin block.. less of a chance to get the hammer snagged.

Perfectly safe to carry a CZ with firing pin block hammer down. I manually decock safety models by the thumb and forefinger method all the time/grip the hammer with the 2 fingers on my off hand and slowly lower it down, have done so for years. I know there are those who swear this is an unsafe practice but it is not.Those who disagree have never handled a revolver and had to become accustomed to manually decocking a firearm.
Practice the method and as always be sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 06:40:27 AM »
I would suggest that once you've pulled the trigger to release the hammer you're holding onto, let up on the trigger before slowly allowing the hammer to move forward to the half cock position.

That will let the firing pin block drop back down to it's "safe" position, blocking the firing pin from moving forward enough to set off the primer.

Offline ohiodff

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 04:29:38 PM »

Perfectly safe to carry a CZ with firing pin block hammer down. I manually decock safety models by the thumb and forefinger method all the time/grip the hammer with the 2 fingers on my off hand and slowly lower it down, have done so for years. I know there are those who swear this is an unsafe practice but it is not.Those who disagree have never handled a revolver and had to become accustomed to manually decocking a firearm.
Practice the method and as always be sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction.

There's no need to be condescending.  I disagree, and I have been handling revolvers for north of 30 years. 

I'm not really against carrying with the hammer down, I know the floating firing pin and firing pin block mechanisms, rather it's the act of getting it there during which neither mechanism is available.  You have to drop this hammer way too far down, with a hammer poorly designed for the act, to get past the 1/2 cock notch.  I learned a long time ago you don't take unnecessary risks with guns, and this is one I choose not to take.  YMMV.  I have plenty of guns I wouldn't hesitate on, this one isn't one of them.

For others, I was just wondering how the mechanism would work in 1/2 cock.  I don't think I'd be interested in engaging the safety from 1/2 cock was just gathering information.  I have since called CGW and found that on factory guns the safety won't even move in 1/2 cock, and with a CGW kit the safety will move to position but will not function so leads to a false sense of security. 

If it's at half cock, why would the safety need to be engaged?  It's already as safe as the decocker models.

If you can't trust the safety at full cock, how can it be trusted at half cock?

It has a firing pin block in the slide.  The firing pin won't go forward far enough to set the primer in the chambered cartridge off unless you pull the trigger (which raises the firing pin block out of the way prior to moving/releasing the hammer.)

Again, I was mostly curious, but hey, accidents do happen.  A zipper stuck in the trigger guard on holstering, a natural reaction to reaching to catch a falling weapon (not as easy to unlearn as one would hope), a poorly timed adrenaline rush or twitch while drawing the weapon ("I just bleeping SHOT MYSELF") etc.  A functioning safety makes the weapon safer.  There are many times that's desirable.

Offline Jiva

• I came for the pistols and stayed for the rifles
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 08:53:09 AM »

Certainly has worked for me for many years and, although there are no guarantees for any particular system, I believe that this very reliable.
75 P-01 Compact 99041
75 D PCR Compact
75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
612 HD
452 2E ZKM Lux .22LR
452 2E American .22LR
452 2E ZKM Varmint .22LR