Author Topic: CZ 97 and heavy bullets  (Read 771 times)

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
CZ 97 and heavy bullets
« on: August 17, 2018, 02:26:15 PM »
 Has anyone tried  shooting heavy bullets in their CZ 97 I found some ammo I loaded in the late 1970's in the back of my ammo cabinet. I pulled a bullet and found it to be 255 gr. I checked my records and it was loaded for a 7" AMT Hardballer I used for shooting bowling pins with light loads of Bullseye.  I can remember taking 3 pins with 1 shot several times by starting with the center pin. I also remember a shooter stole a magazine full of my ammo and destroyed his Colt Gold Cup the back of the case let go due to his unsupported chamber. Will the CZ 97 take the higher pressure of a heavy bullet ?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: CZ 97 and heavy bullets
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 06:35:40 PM »
I've never tried anything heavier than 230 gr. ammo in my 97. Never had a reason for ammo heavier than that in any .45 acp I've ever owned. The 97 is designed around the .45 acp at that cartridges normal/maximum operating pressures. Anything that exceeds those pressures is a risk you take whether it's a heavy bullet or not.
There does appear to be a few ammo manufacturers offering the .45 acp cartridge in 255 gr. configuration so it's obviously doable.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:50:22 PM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline IDescribe

Re: CZ 97 and heavy bullets
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 08:22:43 PM »
I bought some MBC 250gr pinbusters after buying my 97.  When I started reading about the bullet, I found tales of pistols getting beaten up and broken by them.  We have seen one 97 in the forums where the forward underside of the slide that houses the recoil spring was cracking, looked like somethjng that had been happening over time from loads that were too much for the pistol.  The owner had bought it used, so no idea what the loads were that had caused it, but it's clear that you can break the pistol down over time with loads it wasnt intended for.

Food for thought.

All I've ever loaded for mine are 200gr and smaller target loads, so mine has been babied. ;)

anything