Author Topic: SP-01 vs P-09  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Mifune326

SP-01 vs P-09
« on: August 18, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »
I own a 75B Omega as well as  P-09.  I'm a HUGE fan of the P-09 and it's one of my favorite duty pistols of all time.  I'm thinking about picking up an SP-01.  Are there any SP-01 lovers out there who also own a P-09 who can tell me how the two compare and what, if anything, the SP-01 would offer me that the P-09 doesn't already offer (like shooting even softer etc.)?

Thanks!

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
Re: SP-01 vs P-09
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »
I own a 75B Omega as well as  P-09.  I'm a HUGE fan of the P-09 and it's one of my favorite duty pistols of all time.  I'm thinking about picking up an SP-01.  Are there any SP-01 lovers out there who also own a P-09 who can tell me how the two compare and what, if anything, the SP-01 would offer me that the P-09 doesn't already offer (like shooting even softer etc.)?

Thanks!

I own the SP-01 and use it all the time for competition. It is so good, I even beat many shooters with Shadow 2 handguns, but sadly I never had a P-09.
I hear it is a wonderful handgun, but I can't get pass this old adage about handguns that says " Everything that stand still should be heavy and everything that moves should be light". Once polymer frame handguns were introduced, it changed all the handgun's dynamics, and I am still wondering if it is in detriment of the handgun, other than a lighter carry handgun.
So I would also love to hear about people owning both handguns.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:36:12 PM by Practical Shooter »

Offline Mifune326

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 06:29:47 PM »
I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's response too.  The P-09 is hard to beat for a polymer pistol.  Personally, I think it's the best of the polymer framed guns.  But there's also something to be said for an all metal pistol.  Generally speaking, they feel "tighter" and more "precision" if that makes sense.  As my duty weapon, I noticed it when I went from my Glock 17 to my Beretta 92 (both excellent pistols also BTW).  The metal framed guns just feel more "solid" to me during the firing cycle.

The Guardian

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 06:51:12 PM »
Have owned both the SP01 Tactical and the P09 as well as the SP01 Phantom.....all modified pretty heavily.  I?ll keep my comments to the ones you mentioned though......in essence they are both good firearms from the factory......where they shine is when things are tweaked (aka modified).  The ergo?s on the SP01 are just hard to beat.....the P09?s grip was it?s un-doing for me, just no options to help it fit me.  Both were smooth on recoil, controls functioned well on both.  The weight of the SP01 got a little tiring over time, not just range time but even just when at home and cleaning & ?playing? around with them......so as time went on I slowly thinned  both the P09 and Steel SP01?s out in favor of the SP01 Phantom, of which I now have a couple that are nicely modified, they really are the love children of both the steel SP01 and the P09.... best features of both ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:02:18 PM by The Guardian »

Offline Vinny

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 07:10:09 PM »
Well, I own an SP-01 Tactical, a P-09, P-07 and P-01 all set up with Red Dots.
First let me say they're all exceptionally good guns; so it comes down to what fits you best and what you want it to do.

I have less than 1K rounds through the P-09 (waiting on a holster to try it out in competition); while I have 1,000's through each of the other 3 so I can't say for sure about the P-09 yet.  But so far.........I like the SP-01 slightly better because it IS heavy, smooth, and accurate and I like the P-07 because it's light agile and accurate. I think the P-09 falls in between.

I used to say "If I could only have one gun that does everything really well it would be a P-01".  However, if money enters the equation, it would be a P-07. That little P-07 has really grown on me.

Perhaps the same will happen with the P-09.   
All I can say now is.........good thing I can own more than one gun!!  YMMV   O0 -Vinny
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 07:37:19 PM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Mifune326

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 09:04:20 PM »
Thank you for the feedback guys.  The SP-01 would be a range gun.  My P-09 grip fits me great with both the medium or large back strap (I have a big hand).   I have a 75B Omega which has a few Cajun springs in it and it's an awesome pistol as well.  I currently carry a new Beretta LTT Elite which is an awesome pistol.

Would the SP-01 be just too heavy to carry concealed?

Another concern for me is the decocker.  Does anyone find that it gets in the way of a high grip on the pistol?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:08:29 PM by Mifune326 »

The Guardian

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 10:28:03 PM »
Would the SP-01 be just too heavy to carry concealed?

Another concern for me is the decocker.  Does anyone find that it gets in the way of a high grip on the pistol?

Too much gun for a concealed carry option IMO....the weight, the rail, it?s fairly wide too

The decocker lever sits fairly high on the frame....wasn?t ever an issue in my experience

Offline Mifune326

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 10:29:49 PM »
Thanks for the info Guardian!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 07:34:23 AM »
I don't own an SP01.  No reason to.  My P09 is the most accurate center fire semi auto pistol I've ever shot.

More accurate than my Tactical Sport (lighter, too).

Recoil is not a "thing" with a P09.  Very light - very light feeling anyway.  I don't know if it's the recoil spring, the way the pistol sits in my hand or a combination of all three.  It's one of those things where I know the pistol if firing, but it's an odd feel because it's feels so light.

I don't carry a full sized pistol for concealed carry.  It's either my P07 (.40 S&W) or my P01 Omega.  So I don't need a full sized pistol for EDC.

I look at CZ75 Urban Gray models at gun shows and they are gorgeous, I want one, but I know it won't shoot any better than the P09.  It can't. 

I know not every P09 will be as accurate as mine, they are mechanical, made by people and machines with a range of tolerances for the parts and how they go together, so there will be differences from one pistol to another.  I still recommend P09's.  Take a look at some of Joe's posts here about his P09 (about 1/2 the inspiration for my P09 purchase, the other half being how accurate my P07 is).

The only issue with a P09 is the cost of the magazines vs. what you'll pay for SP01 magazines and the availability of holsters.

Good luck with what ever you purchase.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:36:12 PM by M1A4ME »
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Mifune326

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
I agree 100% M1.  I have a P-09 and a P-07 also and they are fantastically accurate.  The P-09 is an absolute tackdriver.  I dont know how CZ gets them to to shoot that way!  I guess I?m toying with the idea of getting something with a little weight that may shoot even flatter than my P-09 and Beretta LTT.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 09:04:12 AM »
If you get one and you're not happy with the groups, don't forget the CGW barrel bushing option.  Several people here (including me) have seen installation of those tighten up the pistol's groups.  Not every pistol can benefit, but some do.

Especially if you decide to change front sights, too.  Just do both at the same time.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Online Tanners Owner

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 10:48:32 AM »
I have both the SP01T and P09. While I have more trigger time with the P09 than the SP01T, both are fine guns.  I do need to shoot my SP01 more. Both are stock. Both are amazingly accurate and reliable from my experience. I shoot them in my IDPA matches effectively.

Surprisingly, my perception is recoil was less with the P09.

I find the ergonomics with the SP01 is better than the P09. I do like being able to find grips with palm swells for the SP01, the backstraps for the P09 don?t help for that.

Magazines are more available and less expensive for the SP01 than the P09.

Hope this one shooters opinion helps you.

I am able to use my P09 leather holster for my SP01
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Scotty_0907

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »
I bought a P09 originally. Shot it in IDPA/Steel Challenge for a two years or so. I did pretty well with it but you never know until you try the other. I just bought a SP01 manual safety and after one match I think I prefer the SP01 already.

For me:

-Ergos are different, maybe a little better for the SP01.
-With a 11.5lb hammer spring and CGW firing pin with matching springs, the trigger is already better than my worn in P09.
-Mag changes are easier to hit with the SP01 due to larger opening and more bevel inside the magwell.
-Mags are cheaper than P09, buying Mec Gar 17rd mags.

I still may be in the honeymoon phase but just one guys opinion with a competition basis.
P-09/SRO
P-07
Scorpion Carbine
IDPA #A984922
USPSA #A103975

Offline Mifune326

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 03:53:09 PM »
I have both the SP01T and P09. While I have more trigger time with the P09 than the SP01T, both are fine guns.  I do need to shoot my SP01 more. Both are stock. Both are amazingly accurate and reliable from my experience. I shoot them in my IDPA matches effectively.

I find the ergonomics with the SP01 is better than the P09. I do like being able to find grips with palm swells for the SP01, the backstraps for the P09 don?t help for that.

I?ve seen a few shooters mention that they believe the recoil impulse of the P-09 is softer than the SP-01.  That?s very interesting.

The Guardian

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 09:12:44 PM »

I?ve seen a few shooters mention that they believe the recoil impulse of the P-09 is softer than the SP-01.  That?s very interesting.

I too, agree the P09 is softer recoiling than the steel SP01 in stock form.......with some mods that can be evened though.

anything