Author Topic: Clean up Witness trigger?  (Read 243 times)

Offline daved20319

Clean up Witness trigger?
« on: August 21, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
Tried the search function but couldn't find quite what I was looking for.  Just got a small frame Witness, the actual break of the SA trigger is light and crisp, but it's creepy getting there, and there's quite a bit of overtravel.  Any way to improve it without throwing a bunch of parts at it or sending it off for a professional trigger job?  This is just a range toy, so I don't want to spend much on it, and if I have to, I can certainly live with it as is.  BTW, I'm a pretty fair amateur gunsmith, and not afraid of getting into the guts of this pistol.  TIA.

Dave

Offline weaselfire

Re: Clean up Witness trigger?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 08:36:57 AM »
The way to achieve this is a trigger job.  It's not an amateur task, buy spare parts for when you screw up the first two times.  :)

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline daved20319

Re: Clean up Witness trigger?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »
The way to achieve this is a trigger job.  It's not an amateur task, buy spare parts for when you screw up the first two times.  :)

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Then I must be a gifted amateur, after a complete disassembly, thorough cleaning, and some judicious but extensive polishing of internals, I'm happy to report that not only is it much smoother, almost all the creep is gone.  Had a secondary issue with a worn safety, but a replacement and some careful tweaking of the FPB plunger and spring solved it.  It passes all function tests, including test firing, although I consider the latter provisional for now.  Due to our local range being closed because of fire danger, I was only able to put 10 rounds through it out behind my shop.  So I know it works, but it's at least a couple hundred rounds from being what I consider vetted  ;).  Later.

Dave