Author Topic: Favorite inexpensive Beer ?  (Read 5242 times)

Offline dragon813gt

Re: Favorite inexpensive Beer ?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »
Yuengling lager is my favorite cheap beer.
I?m surprised it?s been mentioned as much as it has.  I live about 45 minutes from the brewery.  I don?t know anyone that drinks it anymore.  We all burnt out on it before we turned 21.  Every bar has it but I can?t tell you the last time I ordered one.  And the Yuengling that?s brewed in Florida doesn?t taste the same.  It?s because of the water.  Same reason that WaWa rolls don?t taste the same in Florida.

Offline Old-Duckman

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2018, 08:25:54 PM »
Yuengling lager is my favorite cheap beer.
I?m surprised it?s been mentioned as much as it has.  I live about 45 minutes from the brewery.  I don?t know anyone that drinks it anymore.  We all burnt out on it before we turned 21.  Every bar has it but I can?t tell you the last time I ordered one.  And the Yuengling that?s brewed in Florida doesn?t taste the same.  It?s because of the water.  Same reason that WaWa rolls don?t taste the same in Florida.
Hmmmm, classic case of the shoemaker has no shoes I suppose...If that makes sense ?

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »
Not really much for indulging, but I do like an Original Michelob (if I can find it here in Utah) once in awhile
I use Beer in some of my Marinades
So what's one to do with the remaining Bottles ?    ;)
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline Hat_man

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 09:14:12 PM »
Michelob Amber Bock has to be my favorite cheap beer.  New Castle Brown Ale comes next.  Then it's a toss up between Good Ole Potosi Cave Ale and original Leinenkugel's.
If nice guys finish last, are you willing to pay the price to finish first?

Offline Vinny

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »
Ahhh, Summertime and good cold cheap beer!
Now don't get me wrong; one GOOD beer in a tall frosted mug is usually enough to quench my thirst.

Used to love Ballentine XXX Ale; but impossible to find now. Since Pabst bought the brand they're trying to figure out how to cash in on the craft-brew market with their Ballentine India Pale.

So my choice today is Genesee Cream Ale in 30 packs. <$18
Read why this beer stands tall among inexpensive beers:

http://allaboutbeer.com/article/genesee-cream-ale/

'Genny' Cream Ale is what those expensive craft beers wannabee.  ;)

Vinny
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:01:10 AM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 04:59:06 AM »

Vinny

Yeah I doubt any quality craft beer wants to be anything like genesee but it was good beer before we all had jobs. But then Old Dutch wasn't bad either.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 08:45:05 AM »

Vinny

Yeah I doubt any quality craft beer wants to be anything like genesee but it was good beer before we all had jobs. But then Old Dutch wasn't bad either.

Original Post is 'Favorite inexpensive beer'
I think we're talking about beers we can still get; not distant memories of our youth.  ::)

Anyhow.....Now that we have jobs......or retired and don't need one.......Genny Cream Ale has won 10 Silver, Bronze or Gold medals at the Great American Beer Festival. How many craft beers can say that?? (we're not talking about the generic 'Genesee' beer)
Not saying Genny Cream Ale is a great beer, but in a blind tasting it has won over many of them. (and many way more expensive too). Not bad for an inexpensive beer.

IMO the problem with many of today's craft beers is that they're trying so hard to stand out in the crowd they've become so hoppy and bitter they just taste awful.  Just say'in

"Carpe Diem"

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 09:28:13 AM »

Vinny

I think we're talking about beers we can still get; not distant memories of our youth.  ::)

Anyhow.....Now that we have jobs......or retired and don't need one.......Genny Cream Ale has won 10 Silver, Bronze or Gold medals at the Great American Beer Festival. How many craft beers can say that?? (we're not talking about the generic 'Genesee' beer)
Not saying Genny Cream Ale is a great beer, but in a blind tasting it has won over many of them. (and many way more expensive too). Not bad for an inexpensive beer.

IMO the problem with many of today's craft beers is that they're trying so hard to stand out in the crowd they've become so hoppy and bitter they just taste awful.  Just say'in

Of course they had a blind taste test. If I could see what swill they were giving me I wouldn't drink it. But as with anything it's a matter of taste or lack there of.
I personally like hoppy beer as the American brands are just wiz water. Used to like Pabst but all that can be found around here is Pabst in cans and canned beer is aboriginal.
The craft craze like it or not has overtaken domestics handily. The local grocer where we shop has a mammoth selection of beer brands and styles while the domestics have a small corner all to themselves.
Something else you have to remember is beer was never intended to be consumed in the ice cold state that EVERY American mass produced beer must be kept at otherwise they taste just plain hideous. The frigid temp quells the taste.
Good beer doesn't need to be half frozen to taste good.
But it does all come back to personal taste.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »

Vinny

Of course they had a blind taste test. If I could see what swill they were giving me I wouldn't drink it. But as with anything it's a matter of taste or lack there of.
I personally like hoppy beer as the American brands are just wiz water. Used to like Pabst but all that can be found around here is Pabst in cans and canned beer is aboriginal.
The craft craze like it or not has overtaken domestics handily. The local grocer where we shop has a mammoth selection of beer brands and styles while the domestics have a small corner all to themselves.
Something else you have to remember is beer was never intended to be consumed in the ice cold state that EVERY American mass produced beer must be kept at otherwise they taste just plain hideous. The frigid temp quells the taste.
Years ago when we worked on British cars, we joked about the terrible unreliable Lucas wiring and electronics. Think old MG's, Triumphs, Jaguars where the ground was +positive and they spent more time in the shop than on the road. So why do the British drink warm beer? Because Lucas makes their refrigerators.  ::)
Yep, each to their own.  You can have your warm beer; on a hot Summer day....give me a cold frosty!  8)
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2018, 11:55:23 AM »
I'm not a big beer drinker but when I do, and when I can find it, I like Schell's Caramel Boch.

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2018, 01:40:35 PM »

Vinny

Years ago when we worked on British cars, we joked about the terrible unreliable Lucas wiring and electronics. Think old MG's, Triumphs, Jaguars where the ground was +positive and they spent more time in the shop than on the road. So why do the British drink warm beer? Because Lucas makes their refrigerators.  ::)
Yep, each to their own.  You can have your warm beer; on a hot Summer day....give me a cold frosty!  8)

Positive ground was used in this country as well and really had no bearing on reliability per se. Farm equipment used the system as did many cars and diesel trucks. When we started switching to 12 volt systems in the 50's everything became negative ground except for a few stragglers like the British companies who stayed behind the times.
Actually it's the Germans who drink beer at warmer temps.Around 38-42 degrees is optimal to bring out the flavor in a quality brew. I cannot attest to what the Brits may do.
On a hot summer day I drink ice cold water. Beer has the thirst quenching ability of a handful of sand.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:47:42 PM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline dragon813gt

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2018, 02:30:17 PM »
No one serves the beer warm.  It?s just as cold in England and Germany.  There?s obviously going to be a few degrees difference from establishment to establishment.  So even in the US you many not get a beer that?s just over freezing.  About the only time I?ve been served a warm beer was if they recently restocked the cooler and it hasn?t had time to cool down.

Any real tasting contest is going to be done blind.  Doesn?t matter if it?s food or beer.  If it?s not done blind your preconceived biases come into the equation.  When you don?t know what it is your taste buds are the only judge.  Some food competitions have gone as far as spelling out exactly how it?s supposed to be served.  So you can?t ?dazzle? the judges w/ a fancy presentation.

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »
No one serves the beer warm.  It?s just as cold in England and Germany. 
Never said it was served warm. Just some brews are served at a bit higher temp than the brink of freezing temps that we in the U.S. tend to drink beer at.

Offline Psyop96

Favorite inexpensive Beer ?
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »
Pilsner Urquell is served at around 41F (5C). The unpasteurized version that?s dispensed from a so-called ?tank? system in the Czech Republic and a few other European countries. Ice cold numbs the taste buds...good for lesser lagers and for quenching thirst on a hot day. Some types of ales are best appreciated at warmer temps.

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 07:06:28 PM »
I can get Pilsner Urquell here in the States at a couple locations. Don't know what it sells for in the Czech Republic but it's not cheap here at $10 bucks a six pack. I'll pay the price,I like it!

anything