Author Topic: RAMI BD with RMR - Sweet Combo!  (Read 14160 times)

Offline Vinny

RAMI BD with RMR - Sweet Combo!
« on: August 29, 2018, 06:17:23 AM »
A shout-out to CGW for a great job milling my RAMI BD for a Dueck BUIS plate with RMR.
Beautiful precision contoured cut! Nice!
And the RMR provides accuracy on this little demon that is equivalent to a much longer barrel/sight radius. Thanks!  -Vinny

"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
Re: RAMI BD with RMR - Sweet Combo!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 09:28:56 PM »
Looks great!  Any other tuning done?

Offline Vinny

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:48:44 PM »
Looks great!  Any other tuning done?
Thanks Tyerone,
I have about 5,000 rounds through and both the DA and SA have smoothed out and lightened up so much on their own, I honestly don't feel the need for any additional mods. It's worn in like a comfortable pair of leather shoes!  -Vinny
"Carpe Diem"

Offline WestTexan

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 11:02:23 PM »
Sweet! As my brother in law would say. Looks awesome.

Offline HST

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 06:09:14 AM »
Very cool  8)
P 10
75 B SAO
Browning Hi Power
Sig 365 XL
Colt 1911 70 series

Offline Vinny

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »
Very cool  8)
First outing yesterday, I was putting offhand double-taps inside a 3" circle at 15 yards. With my 'ol eyes something impossible with a short 2.9" barrel sub-compact without the RMR.  :D
"Carpe Diem"

Offline lkwan78

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 10:36:51 PM »
A shout-out to CGW for a great job milling my RAMI BD for a Dueck BUIS plate with RMR.
And the RMR provides accuracy on this little demon that is equivalent to a much longer barrel/sight radius. Thanks!  -Vinny

who did u get to mill the slide CGW?  on my. s2, accushadow, and p-09, i went the cheap route by adding a CZC RMR dovetail plate.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 07:17:49 PM »

who did u get to mill the slide CGW?  on my. s2, accushadow, and p-09, i went the cheap route by adding a CZC RMR dovetail plate.
lkwan78,
Yes, CGW did this milling and excellent workmanship.
When first trying a Red Dot, I experimented with dovetail mounting plates. Once I was convinced that I simply shot faster and more accurately with a Red Dot; I decided a milled-in mount with back-up irons would be superior for a defensive gun. But IMO if it's just for range, milling in is not critical.  YMMV

"Carpe Diem"

Offline jberke

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 06:05:03 PM »
Looks great, did you have trouble finding a holster to fit it?

Offline Vinny

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 11:19:28 AM »
I've been using a Vedder Light-Draw OWB with forward cant that already had extra relief for a taller front sight. I had to file away about a 1/4" of material (curved/flat rasp) to allow clearance for the optic, but that didn't affect the holster retention points. Hope this info helps.  -Vinny
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:30:36 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline texasmojo

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »
That looks awesome.

Offline kmanick

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »
Sweet!! I've been thinking about ditching my M&P shield 9mm for some sort of CZ compact and I'd most likely put an RMR on mine as well.
I just don't know which model to go with , as I don't love shooting my shield but it's incredibly easy to carry/conceal.
make it criminal to own a gun and only criminals will own them

Offline Vinny

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 03:16:17 PM »
Thanks for the Kudos.
I wanted a DA/SA for carry that was sub-compact, had a least 10 rounds, could point-shoot very quickly at 5-7 yards, yet with my 'ol eyes still be very accurate with the Red-Dot well past 15 yards.

Nice and compact with the 10-round mag in the Vedder Light-Draw. (top edge filed slightly to accommodate RMR)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:03:41 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline bingcz

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 11:25:11 AM »

Vinny,
Thank you for sharing this setup. I have been following your posts on RDS and aprreciate very much for your creative thinking. This is the first time that I know of such setup and Dueck plate for RDS, which maximizes use of very limited real estate on samll guns. CGW did a great job on the modification. Two question for you: How good the Dueck BUIS is? Do you recommend this setup on P-01?
Thanks.
Bing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BingCZ

Offline Vinny

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 12:21:26 PM »

Vinny,
Thank you for sharing this setup. I have been following your posts on RDS and aprreciate very much for your creative thinking. This is the first time that I know of such setup and Dueck plate for RDS, which maximizes use of very limited real estate on samll guns. CGW did a great job on the modification. Two question for you: How good the Dueck BUIS is? Do you recommend this setup on P-01?
Thanks.
Bing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Bing,
I love the RMR and Dueck rear iron, CGW milled it to POA-POI accurately at 7-10 yards using the BUIS, but in low light my old eyes just can't see the front black iron on the Dueck plate worth a darn.

Yes, I could have opted for Dueck's slightly more expensive plate with tritium front, and if my eyesight was better that would have been the way to go. Here's a link to Dueck's website that shows the plate and tritium front option. CGW milled it into my RAMI perfectly!
https://dueckdefense.com/shop/handguns/red-dot-back-up-sight-base-rbu/

But, I recently sent the slide back to CGW and had them mill off the Dueck front iron, enlarge Dueck's RMR mounting holes to a larger and more standard 6-32 thread size with Torx head (for easier battery change 1x/yr) and I'm having Dawson make a custom height FO that will fit CZ front dovetail. With that I can fine-tune the drift for perfect BUIS. CGW has been most accommodating working with me through this learning process.

But I will say that overall I love this set-up because I can draw and point-shoot the RAMI very fast at 5-7 yards.  The RAMI is mechanically very accurate, but the short sight radius is it's limiting factor. So, the RMR gives me accuracy way out beyond what the short sight radius RAMI would normally be capable of.

I'll update the image once I have the taller Dawson FO front installed in CZ dovetail.
-Vinny
P.S. CZ Custom is just finishing milling my P-01 for their multi-optic plate so I can mount either RMR or Venom. Yes, you could use the Dueck plate on a P-01, but the guys at CGW had to calculate the correct angle of cut for the front iron to co-witness a specific POI.
Instead, using a Venom on CZ Custom's multi-optic plate I'm hoping the two vertical markings on the Venom body will act as my 'BUIS rear iron' and once I take it to the range I can calculate the actual front sight I'll need using Dawson's sight height calculator. Here's this setup on my P-07:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:34:43 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"